drop in 3 way toggle w/ push pull tone

leeasam

Ok I just recieved the drop in 3 way toggle with volume and push/pull tone. I am going to install it in a SE singelcut along with the HFS/Vintage pick up set. I have conflicting issues here. I am including schematic from PRS sit for this
http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/schem08/custom3waytoggle.pdf

Ok now that way the unit is wired is not the same as the schematic. The .022uf cap from the tone on the unit is soldered to the same tab on volume as the RED wire for the toggle not center /output jack as on schematic. Also the RED wire from tone is soldered to the wrong side -- it is soldered to the same locationg at the HOT/Black wire for the bridge pick up not opposite like schematic. this is in the CURRENT schematic.

So what do I do resolder the wires of the drop in to coinside with the schematic then follow the schematic from there on??

Kind of strange that a drop in would be wired wrong but I suppose it is possible.

Last edited:
I just ordered this wiring set for my McCarty. Only thing I can think of - did you get the McCarty one, instead of the other one?

so from what I see the the .022uf cap on my unit is soldered to the wrong post on the volume knob and the red wire from tone is soldered to wrong post on toggle

It sounds like you might have the mccarty drop in, not the one made for 4 conductor pups. I'm on my phone now but I'll check into when I'm back at my computer

well looks like I found one wire was in wrong position as confirmed by Shawn. So I was ready to install things then found that the 3 way right angle toggle used on the USA models will not work as the threads are not long enough to go through body. I could route the body a bit thinner but for me is quite a project. Plus I am not 100% comfy figuring out how to strip the pick up wires out of the braiding as I need alot more free length than the pick ups have. So I contacted my shop I go to and will take it there to have them solder in the pickups. I will have everything ready all they need to do is solder the pickup leads to the electronics. I am also going to have them install a Short Swithcraft 3 way toggle as it will fit with out routing the cavity for thread length. The SE 3 way looks pretty much like the switchcraft short anyway so should be an easy fix.

I can not wait to hear the SE singlecut with this new HFS/Vintage- push/ pull electronics set up. Should be fun.

Back