Drop D Tuning

jw3571

What are people's opinions on using their stock PRS's with standard and drop D tuning? Am I hurting anything by switching back and forth even if it's just one string i'm changing?

Not really...

If the nut was made of some soft plastic then i'd be slightly worried but I can't see you having any real issues with the PRS nut.

Maybe over the course of a few years the low E slot may wear a little more than the rest but it's not like you'll need to swap the nut or a tuning peg every 12 months.

You'll be fine! :)

What are people's opinions on using their stock PRS's with standard and drop D tuning? Am I hurting anything by switching back and forth even if it's just one string i'm changing?

They like it! I just finished working on a piece in Eb tuning with drop Db on my Ce24. It sounded so good I had to get out my LP and "try" to match it. It could match the growl but not the clarity. The PRS killed it.

^What Vchizzle said. The only thing I noticed is that on the PRS with trem that I have, the other strings need a slight retuning. Other than that, Drop D is no problem. Should also be fine intonation-wise unless you need it 100% spot on. For band rehearsal and live situations it should suffice.

I have my Custom 24 set up for Standard D (full step down) with 12 gauge strings and I tune both my low and high E strings down an additional full step to C. Every so often I tune the whole guitar down to Drop B (ala Chevelle, Sevendust) and it stays in tune incredibly well. My McCarty Hollowbody is set up for Standard E but I tune it down to the same mentioned C tuning (also using 12 gauge strings) and haven't noticed any wear on the nut. My friends who work on guitars and one friend who techs them said they both play really well considering the retarded tunings I use :p

You're not hurting anything by tuning to Drop D. I keep my CU24 tuned a whole step down. Plays great! I use D'Addario 11-52's and it gives me just about the same string tension as 10-46 in standard tuning. If I were to put on 10-46's and tune to standard I'd definitely have to set up for the new tuning. Here's a link to a drop tuning tension guide which might help determine the gauge of strings you need. http://www.daddario.com/DADDropTuning.Page

oh... yeah... never thought that down tuning would wear out a nut. :( Mine's probably screwed...

I like tune my guitars up and down twice a day... almost on a schedule.

String Drop D

I am a big fan of Drop D turning especially on my Telecasters and G&L ASAT Tribute. I use a little gadget called a Timara String Drop that Tim Wallis invented. It works absolutely great for the guitars mentioned, but will ont work on the PRS SE Custom due to the curvature of the headstock. I would absolutely love to find one that did fit. Here's his website link... http://www.timarastringbenders.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SD1 I hope someone can come up with one or point me in the right direction...

I also play both standard and drop D at every show, we write songs in both tunings. The only problem I seem to have is the low E/D string tends to start sounding dull//old faster than the other strings. I have never had a nut wear out from that, that's just crazy talk.

Back