Drop D - PRS Trem Tips Needed

geese_com

GJ is The Way
Does anyone have tips on how to quickly go to drop D tuning on a floating PRS trem?

I play in a band that covers lots of songs in different tunings. Anywhere from Standard to drop C. I end up having to bring 3-4 guitars when I play. I'm looking for any tips on how to go save time from having to retune each string when I go to drop D from Standard due to the change in string tension.

Thanks.

Does anyone have tips on how to quickly go to drop D tuning on a floating PRS trem?

I play in a band that covers lots of songs in different tunings. Anywhere from Standard to drop C. I end up having to bring 3-4 guitars when I play. I'm looking for any tips on how to go save time from having to retune each string when I go to drop D from Standard due to the change in string tension.

Thanks.

Perfect solution here. Easy to install, reversible. :top:
http://www.tremol-no.com/

Perfect solution here. Easy to install, reversible. :top:
http://www.tremol-no.com/

+1 this is what I have and I switch back and forth all the time on stage.

Yeah, I have a tremol-no on my other guitars. Since this is my Private Stock we are talking about I didn't really want to put a Tremol-No on it because I remember how much of a pain it was install. Hence, why I am looking for other options. Maybe I can find something to put under the bridge when drop tuning for the 1-2 songs I need.

Geese...don't know what to say...With a PRS in a live setting I'm normally in standard or tuned down 1/2 step...then the only other tuning I will use is Drop D...I just make it work...turn the one tuner button and go...I may use a polytune to check to make sure I'm close...some other types of guitars I will have issues similar to what you are talking about but not enough on my PRS to justify switching guitars for anything other than breaking a string...if I feel some notes are slightly off mid song I will compensate with either finger vibrato or some type of action with the trem bar or resting my hand on the bridge.

To be honest, I don't even think an audience in a live setting will be able to tell that the guitar isn't in perfect tune. It just takes me anywhere from 20 seconds to a minute to retune when I drop D.

Someday I'll get around to prototyping my idea for a tremolo that can be easily drop tuned. Until then I have a cheesy work around that might work for you. I'll post a pic when I get home.

I can get away with drop d if im the only guitar player but if my singer is playing i can hear how out of tune we are. Thats why i bring a non trem guitar along. Would be nice to do it all with one guitar.

Have Len or Skitch @ the PTC set it up and you'll have no problems.....My DGT does them all on the fly on stage without a problem!

I dont understand how thats possible. Dropping pitch of one string will cause remaining strings to change in pitch slightly if trem is floating.

I dont understand how thats possible. Dropping pitch of one string will cause remaining strings to change in pitch slightly if trem is floating.

Maybe it's blocked to dive only. That solves any drop tuning issues. That's kind of what I have done.

A small piece of rubber us double-sided taped to the trem block. The rubber will compress if forced by pulling up, but it limits the movement of the trem when drop tuning. It's not perfect, but it keeps it close and does not require any permanent modification to the guitar.
I also wouldn't recommend any forceful or abrupt pull ups with this. I'd fear that once the force the rubber can absorb is exceeded, the force will affect the six bridge screws.

image_zpsa0929171.jpg

At rest.

image_zps0a933255.jpg

Arm depressed.

Maybe it's blocked to dive only. That solves any drop tuning issues. That's kind of what I have done.

A small piece of rubber us double-sided taped to the trem block. The rubber will compress if forced by pulling up, but it limits the movement of the trem when drop tuning. It's not perfect, but it keeps it close and does not require any permanent modification to the guitar.
I also wouldn't recommend any forceful or abrupt pull ups with this. I'd fear that once the force the rubber can absorb is exceeded, the force will affect the six bridge screws.

image_zpsa0929171.jpg

At rest.

image_zps0a933255.jpg

Arm depressed.

Rock on, MacGyver! :rock:

Have Len or Skitch @ the PTC set it up and you'll have no problems.....My DGT does them all on the fly on stage without a problem![/QUOT

I really want the trem to float. Its really hard to get a good vibrato with it blocked in any way. It is a good idea though if you dont want trem to float.

Im just picky that way.

I can get away with drop d if im the only guitar player but if my singer is playing i can hear how out of tune we are. Thats why i bring a non trem guitar along. Would be nice to do it all with one guitar.

That's the problem. We are two guitar band, so I need to be pretty close in tune.

image_zpsa0929171.jpg

At rest.

image_zps0a933255.jpg

Arm depressed.

Excellent! This just might work in a pinch.

Back