Drinking on stage

I avoid alcohol - my band will tell you I play worse after only 1 drink. It puts my concentration right off.

I think that those who use substances while performing...or have become dependant on substances prior to performing....run the risk of ending up looking like Eric Clapton in the '70's...how many people saw him vomiting on stage during one of his performances during that era??? Not a pretty sight.

Then of course, there's the infamous Jim Morrison drunken spectable in Miami that led to his arrest for "public lewdness".

There is a time and place for substance abuse! Just not on stage! :)

And if your dependant, please get your fix before the show so we don't have to witness your acute withdrawal symptoms during the performance, thank you very much.

I think that those who use substances while performing...or have become dependant on substances prior to performing....run the risk of ending up looking like Eric Clapton in the '70's...how many people saw him vomiting on stage during one of his performances during that era??? Not a pretty sight.

Then of course, there's the infamous Jim Morrison drunken spectable in Miami that led to his arrest for "public lewdness".

There is a time and place for substance abuse! Just not on stage! :)

And if your dependant, please get your fix before the show so we don't have to witness your acute withdrawal symptoms during the performance, thank you very much.

Haha :rofl:
Well I have a history of being a punkrock frontman as well as jam session flute player, so the substance abuse was always a part of my playing. Pose, I know, but I don't really enjoy playing sober (I tried once). Now I just try not to drink that much and prefer not to get high before the show, because I get sleepy behind the mic.

I'm getting old.

(btw I once heard of a drunk HARP player, taking a whizz from the stage. After that, we asked him to be a guest on our latest album :D )

Haha :rofl:
Well I have a history of being a punkrock frontman as well as jam session flute player, so the substance abuse was always a part of my playing. Pose, I know, but I don't really enjoy playing sober (I tried once). Now I just try not to drink that much and prefer not to get high before the show, because I get sleepy behind the mic. I'm getting old. (btw I once heard of a drunk HARP player, taking a whizz from the stage. After that, we asked him to be a guest on our latest album :D )

didn't you previously front Jethro Tull????

The only thing I am on is medication and herbs. Something for vertigo and a tryptophan for stage fright taken a couple hours before. I tend to treat going on stage like a minor surgical procedure, no eating or drinking for an hour or two before. I load up before that on fluids.

I don't drink alcohol while performing, for a few reasons:

Beer is cold, which makes the glass sweat, which makes my hand wet (I only want room temperature water on stage)
My playing suffers
A couple of my current band mates are in recovery
I drink alcohol to enjoy it, and I can't do that on stage

I am not opposed to a beer or two after the performance is done.

Other common "rock n roll substances" never enter my body.

For me there is no need for drinks on stage - the power of the riff compells me!

I also have way to much expensive gear sitting around shady venues so I have to be especially alert no one walks off with a guitar case of Fractal unit hahaha

For me there is no need for drinks on stage - the power of the riff compells me!

I also have way to much expensive gear sitting around shady venues so I have to be especially alert no one walks off with a guitar case of Fractal unit hahaha

Geez..you can get anything on the internet these days!

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a fine line between "feeling good" and having one's skill set diminish. And it's unpredictable, because one's food intake, body chemistry, activity level, etc., changes daily and even hourly.

So I don't take chances. If someone asks me to play with their band, I figure it's to add whatever skills I have. I never want to let anyone down.

However, the last band I gigged with had the best bass player I know (he had toured with Prince) and he could down a Scotch in the middle of a song, at the same time play his bass with the other hand, not miss a note, give me a "gotcha" wink, and carry on. So whatever works, I guess....

Pretty much just water. I'll sometimes have 1 beer on stage with me, most of the time it's not finished before the end of the set.

It's case dependent for me, if I have to drive no, if I'm playing guitar no, DJ'ing no, working for somebody no, playing bass maybe, singing/MC with a handler Yes!!!

Pretty much just water. I'll sometimes have 1 beer on stage with me, most of the time it's not finished before the end of the set.

If I'm playing in a bar.... that's me as well, the beer is pretty much a Rock 'n Roll Prop. ;) I won't drink any of it if I'm singing or playing guitar...
If I'm drumming I'll work it off and it's really not an issue to have one during a set - again - only if it's venue appropriate.

Last edited:
I will have a few beers while playing.. not all at once but thgough the course of the night. Sometimes.. Not always.. but I do hate sloppy drunk guitar players..

I did a gig drunk when I was younger, The rest of the band (Except one) where high as a kite too, so I wasn't the worst offender. The crowd was drunk too so it turned out well.

It's absoloutely not something I would do now though. I may have a half pint or little shot of Whiskey and that's it.

I drink beer onstage. You know, a few over the course of the night. No need to be stone cold sober. It's rock and roll at a bar... it's not "family night" at the local Chuck-E-Cheese.

Back in 2005 I was in a band that organized a crazy night at a local club with three other bands. We billed it as "Shotfest". We got the local New Times to write up an article about what was happening and the place was absolutely packed. The deal was this: All four bands, right before their first song and then after every song they played, all the members of the bands would do a shot of Jagermeister. There was a waiter on the side of the stage responsible for refilling the drinks and passing them out to the band members, extra people on hand to move gear after a band's set, and of course, designated drivers for all. So, for every band, they'd start off tight and after about 7 or 8 songs, it was a total onstage meltdown. By the time everyone was too drunk to play, they'd get off the stage and another band would come on. I've got this big grin on my face just thinking about how hilarious it was. We all had a blast, the audience found it as hilarious as everyone else, the bar made a killing, and everyone left happy.

I usually have a few beers during a 15+ song set. I'm used to drinking heavier beers, stouts, porters, ambers, etc, so a few light beers during the set don't get me too silly. Plus i sweat like crazy, so it keeps me a little cool. The problem is when people are really into it and they buy the whole band shots - but I'm not one to turn down a little generosity :). But I make a point not to let my playing suffer. I play to play and for others to party, don't have to depend on anything else for a good time!

Back