Dream Theater Rules! A thread to honor the greatest band ever

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
I've got one of the EBMM Petrucci's as well - great guitar. The middle position is out-of-phase, and it always throws me for a minute or two. I just happened to pick a year when they didn't have coil splits.

I have a JP12 BFR and LOVE IT with one exception... :rolleyes:

That's not bad. However, he seems to be a bit "theatrical" with his voice like LaBrie.

I also thought about Ian Gillan. But, I really think I'd like Glenn Hughes.

“Freaky” I was reading your comments and before I’d finished, I thought “Glenn Hughes”!! Great minds, or fools seldom differing?!:D

That's not bad. However, he seems to be a bit "theatrical" with his voice like LaBrie.

I also thought about Ian Gillan. But, I really think I'd like Glenn Hughes.

Gillan would have been good when he still had a voice. I saw them in September, and while he is still awesome, he can't hit it like he used to. Then again, neither can I :oops:

They did a series of videos for the drummer auditions a couple years ago when Mike Mangini got the job after Portnoy left.

This is part 1. There are at least 3 (I didn't see part 4, but can't swear it doesn't exist).

Marco Zinnemann is a monster, and part of me was hoping he'd get the gig, but I didn't want him to have to give up on the Aristocrats (there's a band that's sick with talent - maybe I'll start that thread!). I talked to him at an Aristocrats show and told him that, ultimately, I was glad he didn't get DT and said I was torn watching the auditions. He said he was disappointed not to get it, but it was all gone the next time he played w/the Aristocrats. He did say it was actually probably better that he didn't get DT because he'd have had to give up some of his other stuff besides the Aristocrats because of the demands of the DT gig.

They did a series of videos for the drummer auditions a couple years ago when Mike Mangini got the job after Portnoy left.

This is part 1. There are at least 3 (I didn't see part 4, but can't swear it doesn't exist).

Marco Zinnemann is a monster, and part of me was hoping he'd get the gig, but I didn't want him to have to give up on the Aristocrats (there's a band that's sick with talent - maybe I'll start that thread!). I talked to him at an Aristocrats show and told him that, ultimately, I was glad he didn't get DT and said I was torn watching the auditions. He said he was disappointed not to get it, but it was all gone the next time he played w/the Aristocrats. He did say it was actually probably better that he didn't get DT because he'd have had to give up some of his other stuff besides the Aristocrats because of the demands of the DT gig.

I love Marco Minnemann's work with Paul Gilbert, especially the Space Ship One Live videos. Mangini is a great fit for DT, though, and I'm glad he got the gig. I feel like the band declined after Train of Thought, but hit their stride again with the self-titled album once Mangini was settled in.

From Awake:

I've always hated "Space Dye Vest". At the end of "Scarred" it's like, whelp, album over!

Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From A Memory

As if we need any more evidence that DT is for nerds, I wrote a paper about this album in a modern lit class at my university. We also watched The Matrix in class and everyone wrote a paper on it. It was a cool class.

Dream Theater (self titled)......

Gotta put "The Looking Glass" out here. Or "Rush 2.0" as I think of it.

No DT thread would be complete without this.

^^^

I found this on my travels in internet-land in 'Guitar Motel'...

One of of Mr Ibanez's John Petrucci specials, hand painted by Michelangelo if I remember correctly...

https://www.guitarmotel.com/#/guitar/ibanez-1998-jpm-90ham-john-petrucci

And as I know we're meant to keep it PRS, here's a link to the same site's pictures of a certain old PRS Custom, 5 0001.

https://www.guitarmotel.com/#/guita...e-first-guitar-of-the-paul-reed-smith-company

I found this on my travels in internet-land in 'Guitar Motel'...

One of of Mr Ibanez's John Petrucci specials, hand painted by Michelangelo if I remember correctly...

https://www.guitarmotel.com/#/guitar/ibanez-1998-jpm-90ham-john-petrucci

And as I know we're meant to keep it PRS, here's a link to the same site's pictures of a certain old PRS Custom, 5 0001.

https://www.guitarmotel.com/#/guita...e-first-guitar-of-the-paul-reed-smith-company

Why is it that most of the metal guys go Ibanez when PRSi can give this tone?

Or this!

I’m

Back