Dragon Pickups

Tommy

PRSFANMAN
Not sure where to post this question, but are all of the Dragon pickups made in the USA?
Dragon 1, Dragon 2, Dragon 3??

Thanks

Yes but there are no Dragon 3's.

Dragon 1's = Aggressive sounding, uncovered pickups that started in the early dragon guitars and proliferated into a few other models like the CE's and some LE's.

Dragon 2's = Modern sounding, covered pickups that went into Custom 22's for many years

Any other Dragon guitar models came with stock pickups of various kinds and did not have their own pickups, as far as I can remember... I'm getting old.:confused:

What about the Mira's?

Sorry, no real experience with them. A couple of buddies each have a Mira. They are a blast to play. But, I was just having too much fun marveling at what a great sounding guitar(s) they were. Didn't real focus in on the pickups.

What about the Mira's?
This is just my take, but I think they are fantastic pickups ... for the Mira. They are clear and edgy, but put them in a maple topped guitar and they lose some of that magic. Thinner mahogany and they shine. But what do I know?

What about the Mira's?

Mira's are nice and clear.

This is just my take, but I think they are fantastic pickups ... for the Mira. They are clear and edgy, but put them in a maple topped guitar and they lose some of that magic. Thinner mahogany and they shine. But what do I know?

I really like Mira pickups but, now that you mention it every guitar I've tried 'em in and still have 'em in are non-maple topped guitars.

I have a set of dragon IIs and they're "crisp and clear". PAFy but tighter bottom end. Very 90s sounding is the way I'd describe them, whatever that means...

So far I have tried the following..
USA Mira's - I've put these puppies in a SE 24 twice and they sound pretty good to me. They have a little more output than anything else I have tried.
Dragon II's - These are old the covers are potted but they sound really smooth, I like them because the output is mellow. I also put them in the same SE 24 as above.
HFC/Vintage - These are in my Custom 24 20th Anniversary 10 top, this guitar sounds awesome but I believe the Dragons have a hotter output.

Over all, the actual tone pretty much stays the same across the board with the exception of the split coils. I believe the single coil in the Dragon II's sound more Fendery than any of the others.
I thought about purchasing a set of 59/09's or 57/08's but honestly I think it might be a waste of money. I guess I am like everyone else trying to find the holy grail pickup set .. eh??

For Humbucker tone, I love my PRS guitars. I have a 1958 Les Paul R8, SG, PRS SE Custom 24 and a American Custom 24. I beat on the SE more than any of them go figure..

So far I have tried the following..
USA Mira's - I've put these puppies in a SE 24 twice and they sound pretty good to me. They have a little more output than anything else I have tried.
Dragon II's - These are old the covers are potted but they sound really smooth, I like them because the output is mellow. I also put them in the same SE 24 as above.
HFC/Vintage - These are in my Custom 24 20th Anniversary 10 top, this guitar sounds awesome but I believe the Dragons have a hotter output.

Over all, the actual tone pretty much stays the same across the board with the exception of the split coils. I believe the single coil in the Dragon II's sound more Fendery than any of the others.
I thought about purchasing a set of 59/09's or 57/08's but honestly I think it might be a waste of money. I guess I am like everyone else trying to find the holy grail pickup set .. eh??

For Humbucker tone, I love my PRS guitars. I have a 1958 Les Paul R8, SG, PRS SE Custom 24 and a American Custom 24. I beat on the SE more than any of them go figure..
Yep x2 on the dragon comments. The taps in a 22 fret model do sound very tele like

Does anyone know when the Dragon II's were introduced? I have a set and the nickle covers look "OLD" ..

M pickups are very clear sounding, extremely balanced and provide great string clarity.

BUT..........as of now, my favorite pickup combo is 8515 neck 5909 bridge.

5909 pickups are incredibly good and I highly recommend them.

I have 3 guitars with 5909 bridge
1997 ce24
2000 Mccarty
2011 cu24

The Mccarty and cu24 sound incredible, the ce24 sounds good but not as good as the other two.

I am so disappointed!!! I can't blame anyone but myself though. I purchased a set of 57/08's and when I got them today I found that you can't coil split them. There are only 2 wires. That sux... They are really nice looking pickups though with brushed Nickle covers.. I should have researched deeper.

I am so disappointed!!! I can't blame anyone but myself though. I purchased a set of 57/08's and when I got them today I found that you can't coil split them. There are only 2 wires. That sux... They are really nice looking pickups though with brushed Nickle covers.. I should have researched deeper.

Perhaps not all come with the split wiring but the ones I have are splittable, so some must have it. Honestly though, the 57/08s sound so fantastic in series that I hardly ever pull the knob up to split 'em. Even in full mode, these are extremely open and touch-responsive pickups. And they have a certain three-dimensional character that really sets them apart.

For me, splits are more useful with higher-output humbuckers that are thicker sounding and more compressed. Since you have them on hand, my advice would be to give them a try in your guitar. I expect you'd fall in love with them like I did, and find- like I did - that they don't need splitting to deliver great cleans.

The 57/08s are stellar pickups; IMO they absolutely deserve the legend that's grown up around them.

Perhaps not all come with the split wiring but the ones I have are splittable, so some must have it. Honestly though, the 57/08s sound so fantastic in series that I hardly ever pull the knob up to split 'em. Even in full mode, these are extremely open and touch-responsive pickups. And they have a certain three-dimensional character that really sets them apart.

For me, splits are more useful with higher-output humbuckers that are thicker sounding and more compressed. Since you have them on hand, my advice would be to give them a try in your guitar. I expect you'd fall in love with them like I did, and find- like I did - that they don't need splitting to deliver great cleans.

The 57/08s are stellar pickups; IMO they absolutely deserve the legend that's grown up around them.

I purchased them from reverb, I've looked and all I have been able to look at , they all have the coil split white wire. I also opened the one that looked like it had been opened and someone had put black electrical tape around the bobbins. All manufactures use cloth black tape. So someone has had the covers off at some time.

I think reverb is going to try and help me recover. {fingerscrossed}

Hey fellas! Got a question for you: first a couple details: I've got a custom 22 with dragon 2s SN:835140
It's got dragon 2s in it and they were very warm when I first got the guitar back 2010. I had a friend try to replace the rotary switch unsuccessfully and had to take it to a reputable prs dealer for repair. Ever since the pickups have been a lot brighter. Last night I swapped between this custom and a MIM Strat and the Strat had less treble. What gives?

Hey fellas! Got a question for you: first a couple details: I've got a custom 22 with dragon 2s SN:835140
It's got dragon 2s in it and they were very warm when I first got the guitar back 2010. I had a friend try to replace the rotary switch unsuccessfully and had to take it to a reputable prs dealer for repair. Ever since the pickups have been a lot brighter. Last night I swapped between this custom and a MIM Strat and the Strat had less treble. What gives?

I'd start looking at what the dealer did to the circuit. Did he put everything back the way it was, or did he put in any new components? A new value cap could do that. Or miss a ground to the tone pot. Something's different.

It's been a couple years back that happened and I had ignored it thinking it was all in my head. A few months back the volume pot went out and I decided to repair it myself with a few mods. Three way switch and individual coil taps. I ordered a pair of Bourns 500k push pull pots and a couple 180pf caps. Basically went by the pre 2007 wiring diagram but soldered the wires for the neck pickup on the volume pots switch instead. The switching definitely works how it should. It's just the pickups are too bright. The only thing I can think of is that the pickups were somehow damaged back when my "buddy" tried to help me out or that prs uses different value pots. I just assumed 500k because they're humbuckers.

Back