Dragon II Pickups - What do you think of them

I'll have to check. I bought it in 2010 and there are inspection stickers under the pickups signed and dated 2010. How do you read the serial number?

Thanks.

https://prsguitars.com/support/article/year_identification

A little ways down you’ll see the ranges for the CE models from 1988-2008. I’d forgotten the first version didn’t have the same format as the rest of the models that had the numbers on the headstock.

Really interesting. Are your guitars all set neck or any bolt on? Are you using the same amp and what is it? Thanks.

The Standard 22 and 24 are both set neck full mahogany Core models. Both were actually close in production year too (Mid 2000’s). But I just didn’t care for the D2’s in the 22 fret one.

When I first got my D1’s I put them in the CE24 which was a bolt-on maple neck, RW board on a solid mahogany body. That combo was incredible. When I traded that one, I pulled the D1’s and put them in my CU24 with a maple top and it just didn’t sound that good to my ears. I use a Kemper so everything is the same, aside from very minor tweaks. I put the set into my Standard 22 and they sound great again.

I’m not sure if I even have a point to this comment, but it’s at least interesting to point out that the Dragon II pickups are still available to this day in the PRS Accessory Store—in both gold & nickel covers.

So, too, are the Vintage Bass & HFS models, which if I’m not mistaken are no longer even used in any current models (the Dragon II’s aren’t, either); though I suppose if the factory doesn’t need them for current builds, I guess that explains why they’re available in the outlet store.

See? I told you there probably wasn’t a point to any of this. Carry on.

This is my "standard" video post any time anyone asks about pup comparisons. Some of the more recent ones aren't on this, but the D2s are along with the more coveted 57/08s. Go to the actual youtube page and you can click on the time stamps to compare, side by side any two you'd like with the same settings. Should give you an idea anyway as to the differences.

Dragon II is a GREAT neck pickup :)
The Dragon II Bridge is a bit in-between for my tastes not as hot as an HFS but hotter than a 59/09 BUT I did find a sweet spot on a CU22 I had them in I just ran it much lower than most pickups and it rounds out nicely.

This is my "standard" video post any time anyone asks about pup comparisons. Some of the more recent ones aren't on this, but the D2s are along with the more coveted 57/08s. Go to the actual youtube page and you can click on the time stamps to compare, side by side any two you'd like with the same settings. Should give you an idea anyway as to the differences.

Thanks for the video. It did give me a much better idea of their differences.

Back