Dragon I vs Dragon II Pickups

For me the D1 doesn't sound like a typical ceramic pickup. If you're not aware of the type of magnet used in this pickup, I am pretty sure you won't guess right. I finally put D2 in my SCT, and somehow they have a more modern sound (even if they even Alnico magnet a lower resistance). I guess sometime the recipe is more important than the ingredient.

If you compare D1 to a SH4, the D1 is much more warm and balanced, but has all the power you may need. I even tried a Alnico 8 in one sh4, and it gets brutal with a very rough growl.

If you're into high output pickup D1 is one of the best, for sure. And it's definitely not a brutal pickup.

Short version, don't judge D1 by numbers on the data sheet, but use your ears

For me the D1 doesn't sound like a typical ceramic pickup. If you're not aware of the type of magnet used in this pickup, I am pretty sure you won't guess right. I finally put D2 in my SCT, and somehow they have a more modern sound (even if they even Alnico magnet a lower resistance). I guess sometime the recipe is more important than the ingredient.

If you compare D1 to a SH4, the D1 is much more warm and balanced, but has all the power you may need. I even tried a Alnico 8 in one sh4, and it gets brutal with a very rough growl.

If you're into high output pickup D1 is one of the best, for sure. And it's definitely not a brutal pickup.

Short version, don't judge D1 by numbers on the data sheet, but use your ears
…and dibs, boardn1, on your Dragon I’s.:D

Old post bump

I have an older CE22 with Dragons.
Lately bene using Alnico V and VIII pickuos and liking the forgiving feel.

Anyone find the Dragon Bridge, which is ceramic, to be too tight or stiff, edgy, like some ceramics can be?

Wondering if I'd prefer a Alnico VIII like the Wolfetone Monleybucker or maybe an Alnico V like the Suhr Aldrich.

Thoights?

I put an Alnico VIII into my HFS for a bit and it got suuuuuper aggressive but lost the ceramic sparkle. So I swapped back to the ceramic. I personally like Dragon 1’s in all mahogany PRS’. I didn’t care for them in my Custom 24

I have had cu22s with both D1s and D2s. For my playing I prefer the D2s (as if I haven't already put this up on this forum before :p). They are, if you will, "my tone".

I am tempted to swap my Dragon I bridge for the II bridge. I will keep my DI however.
I love the DI but curious if I'd get clearer rhythm tones and still fat warm leads. Either that or a Tremonti Bridge. I want to retain the 5 way splitting.

Hope all is well with you guys...

Do any of you find the Dragon I Treble a bit too hard and trebly?

I'm contesting a Tremonti Treble in the bridge as replacement.

There are other pickups I'd consider but I sort of want to retain the 5-way rotary and not a lit of pickups work with the 5-way rotary out of the box.

My memory could be wrong, but I remember the Dragon bridge pickup being wound to over 19K and using a ceramic magnet. That's a very aggressive, hot pickup.

If I remember right, the Dragon neck pickup is more like an old 1959 or 1960 Gibson humbucker. 8K and Alnico 4.

Again, my memory might be faulty, but i think the Dragon 2 set had the same neck pickup as the Dragon 1 set.

And a less aggressive 12K Dragon 2 bridge pickup with an alnico magnet instead of ceramic. Maybe alnico 4 but could be 2 or 5.

EDIT: Just found these two links...

Last edited:
If I had to guess, the D2 is an Alnico 4 or 5 (likely 4).

The Dragon 1 neck is basically an uncovered McCarty. While the bridge is would super high and ceramic, it’s not shrill or thin at all. At least in my experience.

If I had to guess, the D2 is an Alnico 4 or 5 (likely 4).

The Dragon 1 neck is basically an uncovered McCarty. While the bridge is would super high and ceramic, it’s not shrill or thin at all. At least in my experience.
I was told that the Dragon 1 and 2 neck are the same, and that only the bridge pickup in the set changed. Again, I don't know that for a fact, but I suspect it's true. Since the D2 neck is alnico 4, I'd suspect the bridge is alnico 4 also.

It does sound like it is. My '02 CU22 came with a set of D2's.

Back