Dragon I vs Dragon II Pickups

I understand. Wish they still made the D1 pickup. Would love to try them out!

If you keep an eye out on Reverb they pop up now and again. I bought a basically new set of Zebra Dragon 1's late last year. Put them in my all mahogany CE-24 and they absolutely sound incredible!

I'll keep am eye out for a set!
I have a question.. I noticed that when I've got my volume maxed out on my prs, that it gets a bubbly warm aggressive growl that I love to hear. Is this a prs pickup thing or will this happen with any pickup that I put in my prs? I was entertaining the idea of putting something else in but dint want to lose the growl on getting now

What guitar is it? What amp? Any pedals? I'm guessing you're using D2's?

Many of the PRS pickups have that wonderful growl :D

I did notice that my old Standard 24 with D2's had a nice "classic rock" growl to them. If I were you I wouldn't be afraid to try some 57/08's, 59/09's or 58/15's (if you can find them).

I have an uncovered 59/09 in the bridge position of my Custom 24 and it really growls nicely.

Im definitely not afraid to try another pickup especially if it will give me more growl from the neck pickup. I play a blues style and need warmth and aggressiveness from the nwck pickup.

Give some of the ones I mentioned a try. Or Bare Knuckle Mules are pretty incredible for that style as well. I have them in my SC245 and they sound fantastic when pushing a little gain.

In your experience, from the pups that you listed, which one will give me the same tone as the D2s, but will give me more attitude when I max our my volume, with our becoming bright and trebly?

A popular combo is 57/08 neck with 59/09 bridge. I have a similar setup in my CU24, 58/15LT covered neck with uncovered 59/09 bridge. Plenty of snarl from the bridge and a nice neck pickup.

Pickup height can change a lot in the way they sound too.

Ok, I'll start with the 5708 and see what the sound like. I dont have as much experience with prs pickups so I'm curious as to what I'm going to hear from them.

That's nor a bad idea, although in not to fond of using pedals yet. I guess it's the rookie on me

I listened to the 5708s and loved them. I'm going to do more research on them to see what the specs are and how they differ from the D2s

I agree! I have those in a les paul and they sound great!!
And I'm sure that they would work in my cu22 I just want to have a different flavor in this guitar tgan in my LP

I have dragon 1s in a SC Korina SE. They were in the guitar when I got it. It's my 1st and only electric so it's the only sound I know. What do you mean by "responds well to height adjustments"?

Thanks
Tom

Adjusting the pickups up or down with the height adjust screws changes the tone quite a bit along with the adjustable pole pieces.

A little adjustment goes a long ways.

I love my D1 in my 1995 CE 22. I agree they are tricky to fine tune, but once you find the sweet spot they are just amazing, and they are so great on all 5 positions.

I owned a standard 22 years ago, with zebra D2, they were really good (with a different less fat and jucy than the D1). I sold this guitar because I was founding it too dark.

This month, I just bought a singlecut trem from 2007, and there is something that disappoint me with the #6 pickups. To me they are a little dirty and harsh. I do not found for the moment the PRS touch that was present in D1 and D2. I am thinking about finding a D2 set to replace the #6...

Old post bump

I have an older CE22 with Dragons.
Lately bene using Alnico V and VIII pickuos and liking the forgiving feel.

Anyone find the Dragon Bridge, which is ceramic, to be too tight or stiff, edgy, like some ceramics can be?

Wondering if I'd prefer a Alnico VIII like the Wolfetone Monleybucker or maybe an Alnico V like the Suhr Aldrich.

Thoights?

Back