Dragon 2 Pickup Question

Yzerman

Hi Guys,

I've been struggling with a muddy sounding 1998 CE22 that i bought used and i can't seem to find the right pickups. It came with #7's that were too "vintage" for me so i sold them... ever since i have been through several Duncans (JB, C5,CC) and a, Aldrich Suhr and all were muddy in this guitar. Even the Ap2 in the neck wasn't very clear.

I have a chance to grab a used set of Dragon 2's and i'm wondering if you think they will be muddy in this guitar or clean it up?

Thanks

Considering that D2s came in many 22 fret models I'm guess they should sound alright. They are definitely hit or miss around here. I dug them for their sort of classic sound with a bit of bite. A lot of people dislike them because they can be a bit thin.

I guess the question is, what sound are you looking for?

I really like the D2 neck pickup. Not muddy at all from my experience. The D2 bridge pickup has a nasally midrange that I didn't mind in my CU22 until I tried a DGT treble in that guitar. I am surprised you found the Duncan C5 to be muddy. I tried a Duncan 59/Custom Hybrid recently and it is brighter than a C5. You might have luck with that. Also, you could stick an Alnico 5 magnet in your A2P and make a Jazz model which would be brighter.

I usually try to go for an old VH type tone... not too bright and not muddy. My biggest fear would be that the Dragons would be muddy.

I've been thinking about the 59/Custom hybrid but a new one will cost me the same as the Dragon 2 set.

Back