Don't show this to Les!!!

Here's something to ponder while thinking about that Jim Lil video

Well, Id say a guitar sound from front to end is sum of different parts. If you change one element, keep the rest the same AND try to get everything to sound the same, no miracle you are getting different flavours of vanilla.

That being said: the cab makes or breaks a guitaramp, just try the impact of different IRs in a modelling setup, especially if they are from the same producer. Huge difference.

Here's something to ponder while thinking about that Jim Lil video

So true.

Indeed it is - and to beat this old horse a bit harder, you'll excuse me if I'll quote one of my favourite human beings again ....not that I really feel it need excusing.

Steve Kimock:
“There’s no real point to a “good amp” if it doesn’t make you play better. It has to confer musical advantage.

The evaluation is in context of musical results. As a rule, musically, you don’t compare very small differences directly. You compare them in context. Overlap is assumed, the divergent performance provides the tie-breaker as demonstrated in your own best playing.

So no, you don’t want to try to make the amps sound the same and then make them sound more the same by playing the exact same sh*t. You want to figure out what each amp does best and then see which one allows you to play better. That’s where the “better sound” is.”

Indeed it is - and to beat this old horse a bit harder, you'll excuse me if I'll quote one of my favourite human beings again ....not that I really feel it need excusing.

Steve Kimock:
“There’s no real point to a “good amp” if it doesn’t make you play better. It has to confer musical advantage.

The evaluation is in context of musical results. As a rule, musically, you don’t compare very small differences directly. You compare them in context. Overlap is assumed, the divergent performance provides the tie-breaker as demonstrated in your own best playing.

So no, you don’t want to try to make the amps sound the same and then make them sound more the same by playing the exact same sh*t. You want to figure out what each amp does best and then see which one allows you to play better. That’s where the “better sound” is.”
Kimock is a great guy, terrific musician, and knows his amps.

Back