Dont shoot the new guy!!

Sybo

Jim
Hello all and thanks for the warm welcome from this great forum. As a young guy (62) who has "toyed" around most of my life with the idea of learning the Guitar and not being in a place to get serious,I am now about a year into giving it my all. I had lessons years ago and some theory, but I am a big Self-learner. I practice every day, use YouTube, some books, practice basics, but here is the question ……. Online lesson recommendations? Pros and Cons. This topic I am sure has been around, please do not shoot me, What do ye think/ I am ALL ears! Or is there a learning "structure" that really works for self learning?
Jim

Online sure, if it will work for you. For me, no. I am about the same age and found a teacher that was a great fit. It takes some searching.

I now play in a working band and am living the dream!

Good luck.

Not sure exactly where you’re at in terms of the learning process, but if you’re able to put together some chord progressions and understand a bit of how melody works with chords, I urge you to try to play with other people. The understanding can be very basic. Such as hearing what notes sound right and wrong over a few chords and basic timing. You don’t need to understand the theory necessarily although it will help. I took a few lessons briefly with a couple teachers but most of my learning was self taught through magazines, some videos(VHS back in the day) and just getting together with people and playing. There’s so much more info and tools readily available to learn these days. There’s no right or wrong, just depends on how you learn best. All that said, sometimes an instructor can unlock something for you that you may not get on your own.

Thanks vchizzle!! I am starting to lean towards that also. On the lookout for a good fit/teacher

Hello all and thanks for the warm welcome from this great forum. ……. Online lesson recommendations? Pros and Cons. This topic I am sure has been around, please do not shoot me, What do ye think/ I am ALL ears! Or is there a learning "structure" that really works for self learning?
Jim
True Fire gets mentioned a lot around here as far as on line learning goes.
Jim, welcome to you and good luck in your learning journey. Believe me when I say I have tried most of the online learning sources. I've tried the streaming, the DVD based programs, and SKYPE with different teachers. There is a reason, as bodia suggested, that TrueFire gets mentioned a lot around here. It is very effective the way that you can choose the course that is best for where you are at in your learning and the genre you want to learn and then proceed at your own pace. And, it is very cost effective especially, as @Tucson Thump said, when they have sales. Their sales always have steep discounts and you can get a course for 10 or 20 bucks.

I am currently combining their lessons with private lessons with one of their instructors, Corey Congilio. We are using his courses as the basis for the lessons and I send him videos to review. He sends video critiques back. It's the best thing I have done since trying to learn guitar.

If you're wanting to learn blues, Blues Guitar Unleashed is a good site. I'm also working one of his lessons currently.

Robert Renman's Master Guitar Academy is a good site. I have a lifetime membership and have taken SKYPE lessons with Robert. Robert is a really great guy but my only criticism is that he has difficulty "dumbing it down" to a beginner level. Guys that I know on his forum that are more advanced than I rave about his teaching. My plan is to go back to working with Robert if and when I should ever make any progress.:confused:

Jim, again good luck to you. Should you have any more questions on these (or some other courses I've tried) don't hesitate to pm me.

btw, I doubt anyone is going to shoot you. We talk about our passion for PRS guitars here all the time. But I don't know that the topic of lesson sites has been around here. I don't remember it.

Hi Jim, I'm also someone who started playing guitar after accumulating a little bit of gray hair. A few comments for you...

1. Recognize that everyone learns differently. What works for someone else may not work for you, and that's okay. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the material/teacher. We're all just different (thank goodness!).

2. Don't get anxious about changing courses or teachers until something clicks. Give each one a reasonable go, but if you're not excited about picking up the instrument and practicing, think about talking with your instructor or switching online course.

3. Most importantly, have fun!

Well the way I see it is set your sights on a good video, try to do a bang up job and that might trigger some good progress.

If you've only tried self learning then you should come out of your shell and put the hammer down on a new method.

In other words, get a grip and aim for higher results. Your previous target may have been too low.

Had an opportunity to have an introduction-lesson from one of the AMAZING guys here in Nashville I met here!!! This place ROCKS and so do you Jake!! Thanks man!

Thanks for taking the risk. You have enough drive and a student mentality so you'll make excellent progress.

If anyone else in the Nashville area wants to get together and talk guitars, amps, pedals,music theory, etc let me know. I'd love to have a Nashville PRS owners group meet where we can all appreciate being slightly different than the LP and Tele slingers all around town.

On line is good. Its not the way I went tho. Watch out, its more addictive than anything I’ve experienced and there is never enough learned

Back