Don't Say Anything and Hopefully No One Will Notice

Meaning... that I had plans for future PRS Custom 24-08's but those plans will now be seriously impacted. Probably a lot of my preferred CU24-08's still out there to choose from as New Old Stock but ordering a new one would no longer be available. At least they still make regular Custom 24's which I can buy instead. So I guess I can live with that too.

You're right, living with it is the most realistic thing.

If you were giving me advice on the same thing, I bet you'd say, "Les, it's not worth getting upset about."

"Except he didn't ask for your advice, Les."

"I'm always sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong, what else is new?" ;)

It's a rather first world kind of problem, but I do wish PRS would kind of pick a layout that works ergonomically and stick with it. I love the tones from my 3 PRS equipped with the 5 way blade switches, but on my "regular" Custom 24, the switch is positioned horribly relative to the whammy bar, whereas on my two piezo PRS (P22 and CU24 piezo) the switch is out closer to the pickups and is much easier to reach on the fly:

0301211250-X2.jpg

It's a rather first world kind of problem, but I do wish PRS would kind of pick a layout that works ergonomically and stick with it.

If they didn't tinker with their designs, it wouldn't be PRS, it'd just be one more company making the same stuff over and over.

Maybe it's good that they like to mess around with their products in an attempt to improve them all the time.

I guess the powers that be at PRS took a vote or conducted a survey and determined that the Paul's guitar control layout was the most popular. Oh well, maybe one day I'll try it and like it.

But besides me being one of those people who likes to find his tools exactly where he left them, I'm also remembering one irritating thing which used to happen to me all the time over. Over the years in my quest for the perfect guitar, in all of the different guitars, all the different body styles, all the different brands, all the different control layouts... CONSTANTLY grabbing the body with both hands and tilting it up toward my face to find the knobs and trying to figure out what "what does this switch do?". I've owned everything. Some brands I don't even remember their name anymore, the most extreme of them being a a combo wood and aluminum neck-through body with an aluminum V headstock or the little headless Steinberger guitars I used to have. (Welcome to the early 80's)

Oh well, I'll just accept that my objections have been overruled. Not the end of the world.

I'm with ya man. But it perhaps it was just as simple as this right here:

I guess the powers that be at PRS took a vote or conducted a survey and determined that the Paul's guitar control layout was the most popular.

You win some, you lose some...

UPDATE JULY 2021: Well, this is one of those times where I stop to think that MAYBE someone at PRS actually heard me. I just observed at a large online retailer that the 2021 Custom 24-08 models I saw were again being made with the primary controls in their traditional locations and that the addition of the twin mini-toggle switches have returned to their original placement like you see in the first post photos supplied in this thread. I maintain my original opinion that Custom 24's over the many decades of their existence should have their primary controls in their traditional locations and that any add on features should be located elsewhere and not interfere with that uniformity.

The new 2021 PRS Experience (virtual mode again this year) is coming up next week. I wonder if they will say anything about this at all. I doubt it.

Last edited:
My take on this: If I had always wanted a certain guitar, and saved for a couple years go get it, then got the cash together and suddenly they had changed the guitar, then yes I may be disappointed. Depends on the changes made. Bigger frets on an SS? YES! If they switched form a two piece bridge on a 594 to a one piece, then I would no longer want a new one.

Other than those type of specific instances though, I think occasionally changing features/control layouts, etc. is a good idea. Because it's just as likely that there is another guy out there who always wanted a particular model and didn't pull the trigger because it wasn't the control layout, neck pattern, etc. that he wanted, and now it becomes available.

Plus, like Les said, if I already own the models I love, changing features on the new models doesn't affect me at all.

Actually, they got rid of the good control layout a looong time ago when they ditched the rotory selector behind the bridge.

I'll never buy a new cu24 unless they go back.

I also have to say that I'm not happy with the direction the company is going for a number of reasons.

Love my old PRSi!

Actually, they got rid of the good control layout a looong time ago when they ditched the rotory selector behind the bridge.

I'll never buy a new cu24 unless they go back.

I also have to say that I'm not happy with the direction the company is going for a number of reasons.

Love my old PRSi!

Well there you go, you see, I'm just the opposite. I dislike the rotary switches and very much dislike all PRS guitars prior to 2015. hahaha

One thing about PRS is that unlike Fender and Gibson, it's not frozen in time, locked into designs that were rolled out 60+ years ago (with minor tweaks). I play SGs a lot and I can pick one up from the '60s through today and have about a 99% chance that I'll know exactly how the controls work because they're the same in almost every model over the last 60 years. That works fine for me, I love my SGs. It's a winning formula and Gibson sticks with it.

But PRS embraces change, even on their flagship models. I have an old Cu24 and it has a rotary switch and a sweet switch. They changed that a long time ago, and I suppose most people would say that was for the better but not everyone. PRS wants to keep moving forward always and change is inevitable with that approach.

Back