Don't Say Anything and Hopefully No One Will Notice

HANGAR18

Who is John Galt?
Yay! It's 2021 and PRS finally announces a bunch of new product offerings for 2021! Personally, I'm glad there aren't any new offerings which appeal to me, because after all, I've finally figured out what I like and PRS hasn't been able to top the products that they make which I already like. But instead I'm happy for all those who WILL enjoy all their new offerings. Yea!

But wait... now I have discovered a second thing PRS quietly did in the background without making any announcement. Sure, I get it. Why tell everyone you are taking something away and give them a reason to gripe about it? Here's why.... because maybe they will be a whole lot more angry if they discover it on their own.

First it was the quiet disappearance of all of our favorite models of PRS amplifiers. NOW I discover that they changed the Custom 24-08 switching over to the Paul's Guitar control layout. (Maybe you already knew this but I just discovered it.)

There are two PRS guitars that I like. The Custom 24 and the McCarty 594. I want all of my Cu24's to feel and operate the same and I want my Mc594's to feel and operate the same. When the 24-08 was first invented, I thought the addition of the mini toggles was absolutely brilliant. They kept the CU24 controls the same but just added the mini toggles. I was so happy about that move that I determined that from that day forward I would only buy CU24-08's instead of CU24's because clearly the CU24-08's were a great improvement and a logical next step in the evolution of the CU24.

So, this discovery kinda wrecks everything for me. I love the added functionality of the toggle switches but I am not willing to accept a completely different control layout. I DON'T LIKE PAUL'S GUITARS! There... I said it. If you and PRSh like them, good for you. I don't. That control layout ought to stay on the Paul's Guitar where it belongs and quit messing with my beloved Custom 24's!

Well, at least I bought a Custom 24-08 before they screwed them up.
Here's my Custom 24-08 (which you've seen before) which has the good control layout.
PRS-2018_CU24-08.jpg

Here's the new 2021 Custom 24-08 with the Paul's guitar control layout.
Boooooo.....
Custom2408_blog_1200.jpg

Sometimes evolution really sucks.
Every PRS I own couldn’t be replaced with a brand new guitar. They’re all discontinued or have been “improved”.
Here’s a shortened list:

Original stoptail Singlecut(s)
CE22 stoptail
Cu22(s) stoptails
Hollowbody Spruce
Core Mira

I choose to enjoy the crap out of what I got.
If I need to scratch an itch, I’ll go hunting in the used jungle. If I hit the lottery, PS will get very busy with the DISTORT6-Retro-Series-That-Nobody-Else-Wants-Collection. There would be so many words to be written on the back of the headstock, they would have to write it down the back of the neck.:p:D

Yay! It's 2021 and PRS finally announces a bunch of new product offerings for 2021! Personally, I'm glad there aren't any new offerings which appeal to me, because after all, I've finally figured out what I like and PRS hasn't been able to top the products that they make which I already like. But instead I'm happy for all those who WILL enjoy all their new offerings. Yea!

But wait... now I have discovered a second thing PRS quietly did in the background without making any announcement. Sure, I get it. Why tell everyone you are taking something away and give them a reason to gripe about it? Here's why.... because maybe they will be a whole lot more angry if they discover it on their own.

First it was the quiet disappearance of all of our favorite models of PRS amplifiers. NOW I discover that they changed the Custom 24-08 switching over to the Paul's Guitar control layout. (Maybe you already knew this but I just discovered it.)

There are two PRS guitars that I like. The Custom 24 and the McCarty 594. I want all of my Cu24's to feel and operate the same and I want my Mc594's to feel and operate the same. When the 24-08 was first invented, I thought the addition of the mini toggles was absolutely brilliant. They kept the CU24 controls the same but just added the mini toggles. I was so happy about that move that I determined that from that day forward I would only buy CU24-08's instead of CU24's because clearly the CU24-08's were a great improvement and a logical next step in the evolution of the CU24.

So, this discovery kinda wrecks everything for me. I love the added functionality of the toggle switches but I am not willing to accept a completely different control layout. I DON'T LIKE PAUL'S GUITARS! There... I said it. If you and PRSh like them, good for you. I don't. That control layout ought to stay on the Paul's Guitar where it belongs and quit messing with my beloved Custom 24's!

Well, at least I bought a Custom 24-08 before they screwed them up.
Here's my Custom 24-08 (which you've seen before) which has the good control layout.
PRS-2018_CU24-08.jpg

Here's the new 2021 Custom 24-08 with the Paul's guitar control layout.
Boooooo.....
Custom2408_blog_1200.jpg
I, on the other hand, am quite happy to see the blade switch (and location) changed to a toggle, and placed further back on the body. My CU22 and McCarty both have a toggle switch in that location, and I find it much easier to deal with, than a blade in that tight position between the V and T controls.

I, on the other hand, am quite happy to see the blade switch (and location) changed to a toggle, and placed further back on the body. My CU22 and McCarty both have a toggle switch in that location, and I find it much easier to deal with, than a blade in that tight position between the V and T controls.

I'm sure that's what they were thinking. Something along those lines. But when you get accustomed to things being in a certain place.... you know, I just like finding my tools exactly where I left them.

This is interesting, because the new-for-2021 Special Semi-Hollow actually appears to have that pre-2021 CU24-08 control layout, though! It's probably because that particular guitar requires the 5-way blade switch, but still...

I'm with you, I would probably prefer the earlier layout (which seems to mirror the 408, which I have with that layout and really enjoy); but I also don't dislike the 3-way blade switches as some people seem to. It seems to me that a lot of people view the 3-way blade as inferior to the toggle, and it might be a marketing/image solution to arrange the 24-08 in this new way. Oh well, this is just another reason that I occasionally will save money and hit the used market.

See, I'm the opposite. I just like the toggle better. Blade switches kinda bug. Probably my dislike for S style guitars. Having a CU22 from '96, that newer control layout is pretty similar to the layout on my CU22, McCarty's, etc. The new one looks classier to me.

I do have a question about your green guitar though. The wood combo. How do you like it compared to the regular mahogany neck/back? Nice guitar!

I do have a question about your green guitar though. The wood combo. How do you like it compared to the regular mahogany neck/back? Nice guitar!

I'd have to have a pure sample of each in order to compare the two. Not only that but there would need to be only one variable in order to evaluate the differences.

In this case, I don't have a way to compare the Hog neck to a Maple neck because the one Hog neck I have has a regular (East Indian) Rosewood fingerboard and both of the other guitars have Brazilian Rosewood fingerboards. People say they can hear the difference between BRW and every other Rosewood. Not only that but my Hog neck has a Hog body while the others have a Maple neck and Swamp Ash body. Way too many variables to do an A/B comparison.

Beautiful guitars in your photos, guys (I use the term to include women).

So, this discovery kinda wrecks everything for me.

It doesn't change the guitar that you already have, and therefore doesn't have to affect your life - unless you want it to.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Or, as my grandfather used to say, 'it doesn't amount to a hill of beans'.

I'd have to have a pure sample of each in order to compare the two. Not only that but there would need to be only one variable in order to evaluate the differences.

In this case, I don't have a way to compare the Hog neck to a Maple neck because the one Hog neck I have has a regular (East Indian) Rosewood fingerboard and both of the other guitars have Brazilian Rosewood fingerboards. People say they can hear the difference between BRW and every other Rosewood. Not only that but my Hog neck has a Hog body while the others have a Maple neck and Swamp Ash body. Way too many variables to do an A/B comparison.
Right. Yours are the variables I’d like to know differences on. Maybe I’ll start a thread.

Beautiful guitars in your photos, guys (I use the term to include women).

It doesn't change the guitar that you already have, and therefore doesn't have to affect your life - unless you want it to.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Or, as my grandfather used to say, 'it doesn't amount to a hill of beans'.

Meaning... that I had plans for future PRS Custom 24-08's but those plans will now be seriously impacted. Probably a lot of my preferred CU24-08's still out there to choose from as New Old Stock but ordering a new one would no longer be available. At least they still make regular Custom 24's which I can buy instead. So I guess I can live with that too.

I share your love for the 24-08's. The Custom 24 is definitely my go-to for gigging and I love the functionality of the switching systems across all the different variants of the model.

However, I find the different switching systems quite useful depending on the job being performed. For instance, the "new" switching system for the 24-08 (Paul's guitar and the 35th Anniversary CU24) I find VERY useful in live performances. I need to be able to switch pickups and their respective coil-tapped state fairly quickly, and the "new" switching system is absolutely perfect for that. The 3-way toggle is back behind the bridge, as well, so I'm not needing to "jump" the trem arm to switch pickup positions...it's just faster for me that way.

However playing at home, where quick on-the-fly switching is not a factor, I LOVE the feel, location and sounds I get out of the blade-style switching. The 3-way blade is solid, smooth, and aesthetically pleasing to me.

As for the regular Custom 24 with the 5-way blade, I love the tones that are built into that switch and actually enjoy having all of those tones available in one switch, as opposed to three total switches.

I LOVE all of them and that's why I suppose I own all three. Three different switching setups for all the different jobs I may need them to do gives me options as to which style I may be feeling on any given occassion.

More is better, I suppose....

fNyhEGi.jpg

TR5YzoS.jpg

gzLuMqK.jpg

Wisdom ^^^

I had a similar lament when the 513 became the 509. But my 513s are still 513s, and there are plenty of nice used ones out there, so I am content to flick my double blade switches in total defiance.

“Better” is in the eye of the beholder, and on rare occasion Mr Smith and I see things differently. Fortunately, changes of direction in Stevensville aren’t retroactive!

Back