DONNYBROOK

IKnowALittle

So, we are gigging this weekend in the toughest place we play. This is a BAR, not a pub. Now, to be clear, this place is kindergarten compared to 25 years ago.

When we gig, I always scan the crowd, especially the people dancing. 99.9% of the time it's all good, but sometimes .... I'm looking out, the dance floor is packed and I could tell that these two guys were going to go "at it." Let my bandmates know to be prepared and then about five minutes later it started. This was like six inches from us, fortunately, we had a bit of a raised stage.

Protect our stuff and ourselves.
I was expecting the usual. Swearing, pushing and all the other crap, but these guys started throwing "real" punches. That surprised me, but what surprised me even more was how fast it escalated into a brawl.
Pretty intense. Cops were called, bouncers engaged, ambulance called.

Unlike a few years ago, I didn't get involved (pat back), just protected ourselves and equipment, which required some pretty aggressive physical contact but no altercation ... just brushed it off.

Ah... you never know.

I've played bars in Alaska that were just like this all the time. I watched a bouncer eat glass once, honest.

Was it Sarah Palin?

No it wasn't. He went by Bunkhouse Bob. He was the bouncer but when a fight would break out he would try to get them to take a swing at him. If they were stupid enough to do so it was a pretty wicked sight.

I tripped and fell into a big MF and knocked his hat and beer to the ground. It was an honest mistake but he was some kind of pissed and was going to let me have it. Bob graciously showed him the door. Lucky me!

No it wasn't. He went by Bunkhouse Bob. He was the bouncer but when a fight would break out he would try to get them to take a swing at him. If they were stupid enough to do so it was a pretty wicked sight.

I tripped and fell into a big MF and knocked his hat and beer to the ground. It was an honest mistake but he was some kind of pissed and was going to let me have it. Bob graciously showed him the door. Lucky me!

Yeah, this is what I hate about people. No discernment, no intelligence ... hey, this guy bumped into me, I must try and beat him up.
I've been thru this over and over. I've played in a lot of bars. When I was about 25, I decided not going to take this crap anymore and learned some what passed as martial arts at the time.
Basically, I had five moves, but they were very effective at neutralizing people.
Anyway, haven't had to do any of that for about three years now.
Progress ... IDK.

Any pics? I’ve found the backdrop of squad cars and blue/red lights to be very photogenic. ;) Any weapons drawn? That’s when it gets interesting. Conversely, when the girls start competing for attention, that’s when it gets interesting.

Back