Doing a first - Severly modding an S2 Standard 22...now with PIC!

markd21

I decide to buy another S2 Standard 22 with a specific purpose in mind.....to MODIFY!!!!!! I (think) I have been pretty vocal about how awesome these guitars are BONE stock - and I LOVE them the way PRS ships 'em, but sometimes you just want something they don't make.

In this case, I want the feel, and killer-ness of the guitar, but I want something that will allow me access to "purer" tones. While my band is pretty active, I still do a large amount of session work for a handful of local singer-songwriters. Most of this music is more "roots" oriented, and while I CAN make it happen with my current arsenal of PRS (and single Gretsch) guitars, I often feel "less" inspired because I am not NAILING the tone I (or the songwriter) really wants.

Often, these sessions involve getting a twangy/jangly/smooth/naturally driven tone. While either the Gretsch (with Hi Sensitivity Filtertrons) or the Paul's Guitar (tapped/split) will get me close, both are just missing something that prevents the tone from being "perfect". With this said, I have come up with a plan that I think will create a guitar that will get me where I want to be - I am excited!!

So, to start, the platform is a recently acquired 2014 S2 Standard 22 in McCarty Tobacco Burst (color has to have the 'vibe' too!). I received it on Tuesday - got a good deal on a Reverb. I was a little annoyed when it arrived - it was a LOT more beat-up then described, but some SERIOUS elbow grease it is looking pretty sweet. It came with a TRASHED black pickguard - but I had ordered a Tortoise guard ahead of time knowing I'd be changing it. I am glad the guard that came with it was beat-up, because now I have one I can send as a template if needed.....

Today I am ordering the first set of pickups to try in there....Lindy Fralin Twangmasters. I am trying to get a nice, clear single coil tone that sits closer to a Fender vibe, but with more "oomph". I HATE P90s - so that was the hard part in my research, finding something that'll fit (without a custom guard - for now) that isn't derivative of a P90. From the little bit of stuff I could view on YT, it seems the Twangmasters will get me there. If not, I was also considering the Lollar Novel T - though it has a bit more "kick" than I was hoping for, even though I dig the Tele sound (it'd still be a VERY useful tone).

I am gonnna be looking at the physics of adding a second volume control. I find the two volumes on the Singlecuts to be almost ESSENTIAL to my playing these days. I am bouncing between a few ideas - drilling a new hole for another pot - but it is pretty full under the guard. Another idea is ditching the tone control. Live I don't really use them, but in the studio I do, so that option probably isn't ideal. The third is using a concentric pot. Not a huge fan of them on guitar, but both my Warwick basses have them (volume/blend) and I have gotten fairly use to manipulating that control on the fly.....

Anyway, kind of excited. In the meantime, it sits disassembled, awaiting the pickups. Pics will follow, as will a video review.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Were there specific reasons you went for a Standard 22 over something like a Vela or Starla? To me those seem like they have a good starting "vibe". No judgement though. I want to buy an S2 Singlecut and put a Floyd in it - ala LP Axcess style.

Look forward to the results. You swapping out the bridge with anything?

Cool man. Let us know how you like the Twangmasters. I was just looking at those recently.

It does look tight control-wise. I could see a DGT style three knob with toggle working with a custom guard if you move the volume control up towards the bridge pickup a little. May have to do a little routing underneath.

I had a set of Twangmasters back in the day and they are everything they're advertised to be. Serious twang, no hum. For me, they were too twangy, and I liked the P-92s quite a bit more because they were warmer and a bit fuller. But then, I've owned 4 or 5 teles over the years and they never stuck around, so there's definitely a line for me where too much twang is not a good thing. I have been really curious to try the Fralin Big Singles. Seems like maybe those are right in between the Twangmasters and P-92s.

Were there specific reasons you went for a Standard 22 over something like a Vela or Starla? To me those seem like they have a good starting "vibe". No judgement though. I want to buy an S2 Singlecut and put a Floyd in it - ala LP Axcess style.

Look forward to the results. You swapping out the bridge with anything?

I have had both, and neither quite worked for me. I have a KILLER Gretsch Duo Jet, and the Vela and Starla - for me - seem to be too close to that vibe without offering me anything significantly better/different than the Gretsch.

*EDIT - I chose the Standard because I LOVE the way it feels. The body has a comfortable thickness, and I have been using a "stock" version for a couple of years - I am just used to it. I could have gone Singlecut Standard too, but having the steel trem adds to the specific sound I am after (Tele-meets-Strat-meets-Gretsch).

As far as the bridge - no change. I am pleased with the S2/SE trem. If I am doing trem work, it's light wobbles on chords. If I am going nuts I have Floyded guitars. The steel block on the S2/SE bridge gives me a tone that I like. If I need the "core" sound, I just grab a Core.

Cool man. Let us know how you like the Twangmasters. I was just looking at those recently.

It does look tight control-wise. I could see a DGT style three knob with toggle working with a custom guard if you move the volume control up towards the bridge pickup a little. May have to do a little routing underneath.

Yeah, it's tight down there in the cavity. I was contemplating smaller pots as an option. I'll be changing to 250K anyway. I AM considering having a carpenter friend route the "extra" wood in the cavity so I can add a middle pickup down the road. This sucker is gonna be my "experimental test bed".

Last edited:
I had a set of Twangmasters back in the day and they are everything they're advertised to be. Serious twang, no hum. For me, they were too twangy, and I liked the P-92s quite a bit more because they were warmer and a bit fuller. But then, I've owned 4 or 5 teles over the years and they never stuck around, so there's definitely a line for me where too much twang is not a good thing. I have been really curious to try the Fralin Big Singles. Seems like maybe those are right in between the Twangmasters and P-92s.

LOL, gotcha on "too much twang". For my everyday playing I am right there, but these song-writers are ADAMANT that there be twang. I am col with it because they pay well and I am stretching myself as a player. It's to the point where I will sit home and bust out with rockabilly licks and countrified playing - and, it's just not the same on the other guitars!! I used to have a Gretsch 6120 that would have KILLED on this material. It's cheaper to mod the solid S2 (which is also WAY easier to play than the 6120) to achieve what I need.

Glad to hear the info about the Twangmasters. Thanks!!

I don't think you can go wrong with Lindy's pickups. Can't wait to find out how it turns out,

Pickups should be here tomorrow. However, I couldn't resist assembling this baby and using it as is on a song idea I had this weekend. Here it is:

I am gonna try garrett's idea and do a custom guard with the DGT style control layout - including 3-way toggle instead of a blade. That'll take a little longer, but should end up being KILLER!!

Pickups should be here tomorrow. However, I couldn't resist assembling this baby and using it as is on a song idea I had this weekend. Here it is:

I am gonna try garrett's idea and do a custom guard with the DGT style control layout - including 3-way toggle instead of a blade. That'll take a little longer, but should end up being KILLER!!

Looks hot!

Can't wait to see how your project turns up. I don't know how much elbow grease you used, but the s2 looks fantastic.

Is the S2 Standard 22 thinner than the S2 Custom 22?

Not sure. My Custom 22 is a Core model. Then, obviously, the Standard 22 is an S2. I can measure those, if you'd like, but I am redoing my studio right now so all the guitars are in the closet behind a pile of stuff.

Understand, I am looking at picking up one of them and wanted to know how thick they were. Thanks for the help!

Can't wait to see how your project turns up. I don't know how much elbow grease you used, but the s2 looks fantastic.

Thanks! I really had to do a lot to this one. It came with a lot of surface scratches and some small finish dimples. There is also a nice, deep, pin-head sized dent. The fret board and frets were filthy. All the hardware was tarnished and the pickups were scratched up. CERTAINLY not the "excellent" condition I overpaid for. And, YES, I really did overpay - on purpose because this is the color I wanted....AND the condition was "excellent".

Here's the basic rundown (and I DO NOT recommend doing this unless you know what you are doing)....

• First I stripped the guitar of anything I could remove and reattach (hardware, electronics, etc)
  • I took 5000 grit wet/dry sand-paper and wet sanded the entire body - front, back, sides
  • I hand rubbed the body
  • I waxed the body
  • I checked for any further "issues" - I found some, so...
  • I grabbed my Dual Action buffer and used the product/process I would when restoring a car
  • I masked the fret board and did some work on the frets - #0000 steel wool shines them nicely
  • While the board was masked, I buffed the back of the neck
  • I hand polished the headstock - gotta be careful of that logo!!
  • I un-masked the fret board and used a special Wood Polish & Conditioner I got at an old antique place in BFE. It's called Howard Feed-N-Wax. It's made of Beeswax and Orange oil. I LOVE it.
  • I reassembled the guitar with an official PRS replacement Tortoise pickguard
It took three days, I think....

Here's a video of me discussing the guitar, the project, and - according to my wife - rambling about guitars that "I have no idea why you are talking about them!!"

(usually don't post my videos - not sure if it's cool or not...)

I want to get the project done, but it's been endlessly busy!!!!! Soon, I am hoping. I gotta do a couple videos to go with it for the YT channel that chronicle all of it. The last video in the series is gonna have an A/B with the guitar using the S2 7s and the Twangmasters. That'll be fun - just gotta finish rearranging the studio first....

I liked the video! Felt like I hung out at your studio, and listened to you talk about your guitars.

Looks like a cool room, btw.

Cool, man!! That's kind of the vibe I am hoping for. It's a funny struggle between my wife and I - she vlogs also.....BUT, she has an incredible advantage that I don't have.

She is a professional TV Producer and has 25+ years experience doing it. She works many of the celebrity shows on HSN, and writes/produces for 11 different categories.

Me? I am a full time English teacher and part time studio guitarist who has been doing music for 33 years as a "professional".

She watches my videos and says I talk too much and like I am teaching about the product. She gives me all this professional TV stuff to do that I can't wrap my head around. I watch her videos and say that it seems like she is doing on location travel videos for a TV network....

So, to have somebody say what you said is like, "Hell Yeah!!" So thanks, again!!

Can’t wait to see how it turns out. Will be watching.

Neat-o!!! I am SOOOOOOO close to getting the studio re-done. I am hoping, this weekend, to shoot a lot of what I need for the last videos, then I can get them up.

With the studio/room, I am doing a TOTAL reevaluation. At the end of 2017 we upgraded EVERYTHING - all new workstation DAW, plug-ins, interfaces, preamps....ALL of it. I realized that the outboard gear was getting pretty much ZERO use, and that everything was being done in the box. I still have a full-on 24 channel in/out, 8 BUS console in a custom-made oak desk sitting in the room taking up space. This behemoth is almost 7 feet across, and keeps 36-rack spaces!! It looks awesome, but I'd rather have the space - especially since I only use 3 channels routed to 3 busses routed to 3 inputs on my interface....

I mean, at that point, why not just go straight to the interface and skip the nonsense? Analog "flavor"? Yeah....that's it, lol....

Nah, in all seriousness, I just don't record bands anymore. Even my own band doesn't track live, together, anymore. So, in a way (for me), it's the end of an era. I am selling all that stuff and modifying the room to be more of a "lounge". We putting a futon and a little end table in there. Nicer window treatments. Professional lighting, and a few other "enhancements" to make the space more of a studio/editing suite/you tube set. Should be cool....

With the studio/room, I am doing a TOTAL reevaluation. At the end of 2017 we upgraded EVERYTHING - all new workstation DAW, plug-ins, interfaces, preamps....ALL of it. I realized that the outboard gear was getting pretty much ZERO use, and that everything was being done in the box. I still have a full-on 24 channel in/out, 8 BUS console in a custom-made oak desk sitting in the room taking up space. This behemoth is almost 7 feet across, and keeps 36-rack spaces!! It looks awesome, but I'd rather have the space - especially since I only use 3 channels routed to 3 busses routed to 3 inputs on my interface....

Mark, your wife produces stuff folks are actually interested in. We guitar freaks, on the other hand are kind of a different breed!

Studio stuff...

As you might know, I do music for TV ads for a living. About ten years ago, I went “in the box,” sold 5 racks of outboard analog stuff, sold my 64 channel console, my patchbays, etc. (for pennies on the dollar, of course) and saved space, time, blah blah.

It’s one of my larger gear regrets. There was a vibe that’s now missing.

My analog stuff had a sound; it was a good sound, and more importantly, it was “my” sound. My music’s still my music, but since my gear stupidity sale, the audio is a bit generic, despite premium plugins, interface, etc., etc.

You might want to carefully consider whether to go ITB. Just sayin’.

Back