Doin' My Best

IKnowALittle

Well, I struggle with some serious depression, all the time.
This clip is old, from the 90's, but always makes me laugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depression sucks big time. I, too, hope you are getting the help you need.

Keep fighting the good fight brother, get any and all help possible. There are always people who care and want to help. Sometimes we gotta reach out to get it, which can be tough to do. Some good laughs from some uncensored comedy always helps!

Meh, as long as it's not Celebration, that song get's on my every last nerve. Now Earth Wind And Fire...you can not go wrong there.

Celebration is rough... but the wahoos rule. How come nobody does wahoo’s in songs anymore?

Agreed about EW&F, another band impossible to be bummed while listening to.

Depression is a *****!!!

Getting out of the spiral of depression is hard. Both research and personal experience suggest that a big key to alleviating depression is true interaction within a community. Just talking to people at work doesn't count because that's communicating to get work done. You really need to connect with someone about a topic that is "real".

Depression is a *****!!!

Getting out of the spiral of depression is hard. Both research and personal experience suggest that a big key to alleviating depression is true interaction within a community. Just talking to people at work doesn't count because that's communicating to get work done. You really need to connect with someone about a topic that is "real".

And that's hard to do when you're socially awkward don't really feel comfortable interacting. I have a very short list of people where it just feels easy and the conversation flows. It's hard to do even with most family members.

And that's hard to do when you're socially awkward don't really feel comfortable interacting. I have a very short list of people where it just feels easy and the conversation flows. It's hard to do even with most family members.

I KNOW!!! I'm the poster child for socially awkward. Social situations baffle me. My wife can converse with anyone, and loves meeting new people. When we find ourselves in a social situation she's happily meeting new people and I'm generally sitting by myself. If I make an effort to mingle and talk, I can "fake it" for a little while, but it's exhausting to keep the facade up. When we come home from these things, she's usually "wired" and excited and all I want to do is sleep because being in a room of people I don't know is mentally draining. I'm wiped out!!

I view these things like baseball (I'm a baseball fan, what can I say?). A 70% failure rate makes you a hall-of-fame player. It's the difficulty that makes it great. I definitely fail at ~70% clip in trying to socialize. That doesn't mean I can't be successful. I do know that being "wrapped up in my own world" feels much safer and more comfortable and is less stressful and eventually leads to staggering depression. I'm not too proud to say that I've had to go through a decent amount of therapy to learn this.

Depression tends to happen to those who are more intelligent and more creative. Congrats!! You're probably much smarter than average and have a creative fire burning inside (even if you don't notice it or realize it). This makes you much more susceptible to depression. Good times.....

hey guys;

i'm a little surprised. i expected all the usual nonsense of "be a man", "get over it", "pull yourself together."
having said that, i also know that a lot of guys that read and didn't comment believe the above.
which is ok. it's impossible to understand what you don't have or never experienced.

anywho, i manage pretty well for the most part and for all those who struggle a little or a lot, i have no suggestions.
i've tried everything and nothing has worked.
next step is ect, but that's a long and complicated process and fraught with issues.

regardless, all the best to everyone and keep fightin' the good fight.

Back