D'oh!

Ovibos

Naughty Wood Librarian
So I'm prepping a guitar for sale (S2 Singlecut Standard Satin I never bonded with), and I go thru all the steps. Reinstall the stock pickups. Remove little customizations like the trussrod cover, tuner buttons, and S-Lock buttons. Take off the strings, clean the fretboard, start to string it back up.

Because I'm selling it, I don't put on my regular NYXLs; I have one set of regular XLs in my string stash I put on. Working my way thru it pretty fast:
  1. Cut off old string
  2. String up new one
  3. Tighten tuner thumbscrew
  4. Tune up
  5. Cut off excess string
  6. Repeat

Of course, on the 2nd-to-last string (the D, because I somewhere picked up the habit of stringing from the outside in) I think I'm in the groove and go a little too fast.

I fail on the "excess" part of step 5. D'oh!

Now I'm waiting for Amazon Prime to bring me more regular XLs tomorrow so I can cannibalize a D string.

So I'm prepping a guitar for sale (S2 Singlecut Standard Satin I never bonded with), and I go thru all the steps. Reinstall the stock pickups. Remove little customizations like the trussrod cover, tuner buttons, and S-Lock buttons. Take off the strings, clean the fretboard, start to string it back up.

Because I'm selling it, I don't put on my regular NYXLs; I have one set of regular XLs in my string stash I put on. Working my way thru it pretty fast:
  1. Cut off old string
  2. String up new one
  3. Tighten tuner thumbscrew
  4. Tune up
  5. Cut off excess string
  6. Repeat

Of course, on the 2nd-to-last string (the D, because I somewhere picked up the habit of stringing from the outside in) I think I'm in the groove and go a little too fast.

I fail on the "excess" part of step 5. D'oh!

Now I'm waiting for Amazon Prime to bring me more regular XLs tomorrow so I can cannibalize a D string.

Been there, done that, dang it sucks - much mojo, man.

Thanks for reminding me to change back my strap locks before I sell a guitar :p

I hate it when I forget to do that! Even worse, when I sold my SE Hollowbody, I forgot to swap the lampshades back to the stock speed knobs.

With lockers there’s a tendency to have minimal string on the tuning peg. It’s one of the reasons I’m not fussed about lockers tbh.

Regular non-locking tuners, strung properly, never an issue.

I did something similar this weekend. I was changing the strings on my LP and I’m so used to longer scale length guitars and having locking tuners, that I pulled way to much back on the low E string and ended up with too many winds on the tuner. I also forgot to pull the high E string back enough and had to start all over on that one. The rest went fine, but I really messed up those first two.

Back