Doh! Why Didn't I Think of That!

László

Too Many Notes
Today I got the call to do a quick little demo for a client, and was in a hurry.

In fact, it was a HUGE hurry. I didn't have time to set up a cool mic for my acoustic by the time I got around to that track, as the client needed to run with it right away (doesn't anyone ever plan ahead?), so I just used the 57 that was up for the electric. Easy, right? Just a little background rhythm track...

!

I forgot all about the fact that I had an onboard pickup on the guitar! Doh!

That's how rarely I actually use a built in pickup on an acoustic -- I forgot I had one. LOL

In fact, I just remembered as I was reading stuff here on the forum.

Last edited:
I know you ain't talkin' 'bout the piezo, 'cause we seem to be on the same level with those... Are you sayin' you didn't go with the 57?

I know you ain't talkin' 'bout the piezo, 'cause we seem to be on the same level with those... Are you sayin' you didn't go with the 57?

My acoustic doesn't have a piezo, none of the USA acoustics do.

It has some kind of under-bridge, not under-saddle, pickup. In fact, I have no idea how well it works, since I've never actually used it!

I went with the 57. It was there, and the client was SO impatient, one of those frantic last-second deals where they need a track for a thing that's shipping tomorrow. When I said, 'OK, I'm just going to put up a condenser," it was like, "how long will that take?"

Feh.

But it would have probably sounded fine for this application with the guitar's pickup. (Just a little smooshy rhythm for 'way in the background).

In fact, the sum total of my experience with the built-in pickup was to plug it in the first day to see if it worked, saw it worked, unplugged it and never tried it again.

I should probably see whether it's useful in my work, huh?

Or...maybe not. LOL. Because I'll forget it's there again.

Last edited:
Since you work in such a dynamic environment, I would have thought you'd at least sample the built-in electronics. I think I've read elsewhere you like dry signals that you can then add effects to, so maybe that's the reason. I tend to experiment a bit with natural room dynamics, any/all pickup options, etc. I think that's why I love the HX/DA, I can play around so much with it. Anyway, I need more coffee, sorry to babble.

I'd definitely recommend experimenting with the electronics, Les - the ones in the SE are really pretty transparent. When I tried mine in the store through a PA, it sounded just like the guitar did acoustically, only louder - none of the typical piezo sound. With the right preamp, you might find the electronics are good enough for rhythm parts or little accents.

Since you work in such a dynamic environment, I would have thought you'd at least sample the built-in electronics. I think I've read elsewhere you like dry signals that you can then add effects to, so maybe that's the reason. I tend to experiment a bit with natural room dynamics, any/all pickup options, etc. I think that's why I love the HX/DA, I can play around so much with it. Anyway, I need more coffee, sorry to babble.

I'd definitely recommend experimenting with the electronics, Les - the ones in the SE are really pretty transparent. When I tried mine in the store through a PA, it sounded just like the guitar did acoustically, only louder - none of the typical piezo sound. With the right preamp, you might find the electronics are good enough for rhythm parts or little accents.

Well, of course you guys are right!

Honestly, I prefer using a condenser or Royer 121 on an acoustic guitar, so whenever possible, I'm going to do that, because I'm good with mic technique. After 23 years in the studio, that's the sound I hear in my head.

The truth is that I really did forget I had onboard electronics.

When the guitar was being built, the opportunity came up and I figured, "why not?" And then promptly forgot all about it.

I do think that especially using the guitar direct with effects might be very cool. Which is why I said, "Doh!" I gotta start thinking!

Last edited:
OK, I just recorded with the onboard electronics through a very fine direct box, the Avalon U5.

And, no surprise, not usable for recording standard acoustic guitar tones...it sounded way better with a regular old standby SM57. Recorded with my Neumann, wasn't even in the same universe.

The electronics package is somewhat piezo-like, very little high end, no pick attack, etc. Less clack than a piezo, but...naahh. I'd use a mic with it if I was performing a solo gig. Seriously.

Fine for live band use, not fine for recording. So, um, good thing I forgot it was there.

So now at least I know. I'm not all that into having a PS acoustic guitar sound like an Ovation.

I will use the electronics package with effects pedals, however, when I need something strange. Like an acoustic guitar through a Leslie sound, etc.

Last edited:
I'd use a mic with it if I was performing a solo gig. Seriously.

Not to mention it looks way cooler using a mic on stage anyway, it's got that element of danger to it.

My ultimate solution for dealing with playing acoustic steel-string on stage is to not like, or write any music with it.

My ultimate solution for dealing with playing acoustic steel-string on stage is to not like, or write any music with it.

Haha! Aw, I've always liked playing the acoustic. For a long time when I was practicing law for a living, I didn't play the electric for months and months at a time.

Now, of course, so many of my friends are superb session cats on acoustic that what keeps me off the stage with an acoustic is...embarrassment. ;)

Oh sure, I can do my ten thousand takes to get it right in the privacy of my own studio, but no FREAKING WAY am I taking the stage with an acoustic guitar! Keys, sure. Electric? I can get away with it if I keep my solos short. Acoustic? I'm EXPOSED. ;)

Back