Does your PRS make you a better player?

Some questions can’t be answered. Whether a given instrument makes the musician better is probably one of them.

It’s like the Butterfly Effect. Does a very small change in one condition in a system that is nonlinear and deterministic cause a bigger/different outcome? If a butterfly flaps its wings in Beijing, does that tiny event cause a hailstorm in Detroit?

Well, maybe. Got proof?

Spend serious money on a thing, and someone’s going to ask you to justify it. Or maybe you have to rationalize it to yourself. I’ve certainly felt that need at times.

But on reflection, seems to me, it makes sense to move beyond rationalization, and simply say, “This is the instrument I choose to play, because it pleases me to do so.” No further justification necessary; that says it all. And in fact, no other explanation need matter.

Last edited:
I was pondering this question the last couple days.

Granted, a recent NGD&NAD has helped my motivation significantly, but I'm really starting to see some results as I continue to shake off the rust, and today was a mini-revelation. Had an impromptu jam earlier with a couple friends and just killed it. When we finished I had wide eyes, and so did my pals (who are no slouches!). That feeling kicks @$$, and while I know PRS factors into the equation, I don't really care about trying to quantify how much. All I know is that, despite being relatively new to the brand, I can do things on these instruments that I've never experienced in decades of playing elsewhere.

*calculator drop*

If you believe that it does, then it does.

Merry Christmas to everyone !

It is known.

2Wz3ThN.jpg

Any instrument that makes you smile and inspires is important. The world could do with some more smiles and inspiration, thus the world needs more PRS. :)

YouTube will, however, still be filled with terrible guitarists inspired to show the world that they are less terrible with a PRS. And they’re right. (I’m one of them. But there will also be some great ones.)

Either way you slice it or dice it, I'm still a member of the 50 year old shitty guitarist club. I'm just a happier member of the 50 year old shitty guitarist club.

I'd say YES!!! As a guitar salesman, I always tell potential customers to get something to inspire the player to play, especially a newby. (So they'll pick it up more often) And if there's one thing I don't want to put down, it's my PRSi!!!

My Prsi's make me wanna pick them up therefore I play them all the time.
practice is the way forward especially with an instrument that inspires me.
Hell even the Neighbours don't bang on the walls so much these days.!!!

Hmmmmm....

Yes and No. "No", because the skill set that I utilize was already there. However, and this is where "yes" comes into play....

Prior to PRS I was playing Custom Shop Jackson guitars. Built to my specs - necks shaped "perfectly", frets my "perfect" size.....etc. I THOUGHT those guitars brought the "best" out of my playing. The set-up and component set was SUPOSSED to be "right" enough to inspire me and take the "thought" out of playing live. And, until giving PRS another shot, those Jacksons WERE it, lol.

What I mean by giving PRS "another shot" is, all my prior experiences with the brand were negative. The 24 fret guitars with HFS/VB pickups always left me VERY unhappy with my tone. While flirting with a few Custom 24s, most of my PRS' were CE24s. I focused on the bolt-on models because most of my Jackson/Charvel guitars were bolt-on - it's what I had always played.

Once I stumbled across the S2 Singlecut Standard, I found a PRS I could LOVE. REAL quick, that guitar replaced ALL the CS Jackson stuff. From there, I switched to PRS. The "formula" that swung me over, and has taken my playing to a more natural, instinctive place is simple.....

- 22 frets
- "thicker" McCarty or SC body
- wide/fat or pattern neck
- #7 or 57/08 pickups

While I have a couple examples that vary from that "formula", the above factors are what bring me to a place where my playing "improves". I can grab a PRS with those specs, plug in to my rig, close my eyes and play with complete confidence. Onstage, I don't even have to CONSIDER the instrument. I just play. It happens. Shoot, I don't even have to HEAR the guitar. I just KNOW where to go - my hands just move to where they need to be. The PRS has finally put me in a place of complete tactile confidence that I am not "afraid" to stretch out and go "new" places onstage with my leads. They are the missing piece in what I needed as performer to allow me to utilize everything I have spent the last 30 years learning and developing as a writer, player, and performer.

See, when I read this, I smiled. Know why? Cuz it tells me that Boogie has FINALLY rationalized exactly why he needs a Santana. Impending NGD!? :D
It feels like a crushing weight on my chest...a 4 ton bag of peer pressure...and besides more cowbell, the only prescription to cure it appears to be something called a Santana.
oops. Sorry.
Sorry Pete you clearly aren’t in this club.:cool:

Any instrument that makes you smile and inspires is important. The world could do with some more smiles and inspiration, thus the world needs more PRS. :)

YouTube will, however, still be filled with terrible guitarists inspired to show the world that they are less terrible with a PRS. And they’re right. (I’m one of them. But there will also be some great ones.)

You must have been watching my channel, too. :)

YES !!! 100% I play better on my PRS they are easier to play, there was always a fight when playing other guitars

Back