does your #1 change?

Philosophically speaking, it seems that with one geneal exception, every guitar in the stable should be a No. 1. Why own a guitar if it isn't?

Good point, actually!

On the other hand, lots of people own guitars to do special-purpose things. A resonator guitar, for example, could never be my #1, because I'm not fond of that sound, but if I had a project come in where I needed one, I'd get it.

I had a couple of 12 String Ricks back in the day, not because it was my favorite sound, but to satisfy client requests for "that sound" on certain projects. Come to think of it, I've had several amps for similar purposes.

Last edited:
Go to gig #1? Fav solo #1? #1 rhythm guitar? It took 12 years to find something that fit those three criteria and that would be Mr. Clean. But, I don't have a single #1 in my heart...I have a #1 HB, a #1 Lester, a #1 Junior, a #1 Cu24, a #1 DGT, a #1 SE One, etc. And since I played them all 2 days ago, I can confirm: they are all my favorite.

Who says I have to make a decision? :biggrin:

Philosophically speaking, it seems that with one geneal exception, every guitar in the stable should be a No. 1. Why own a guitar if it isn't? Who wakes up and says today I'm going to strive to be the third or fourth best I can be? The general exception is a "beater" guitar for travel or gigging in unsavory places where the risk of loss or damage is increased.

Sounds like the Sufi Butcher.

Customer: "Butcher, I want the best cut of meat in your store."

Butcher: "There is no cut of meat you can buy in my store that is not the best."

So, yeah.

My #1 hasn't changed since I got this a couple years ago. I have 2 Les Pauls and a ME1 that come close, but this is the best playing guitar I've ever had the pleasure of fondling.

1CDDB399-1B25-4A9A-9ED7-974922C57069-5598-000003284559359C_zpsd2c0a8ae.jpg

Thanks, Les. This is one of those magical ones where it plays and sounds as good as it looks.

And Brad, here is her backside. Finding this neck blank is the reason she exists:

The back is as pretty as the front. Amazing guitar!

Some amazing guitars here. Not sure what my #1 is yet. Likely my CU24 that I just got. But when I want to play the heavy stuff, my lower end SE C. Lowery is a pretty awesome guitar, even stock.

My #1 hasn't changed since I got this a couple years ago. I have 2 Les Pauls and a ME1 that come close, but this is the best playing guitar I've ever had the pleasure of fondling.

1CDDB399-1B25-4A9A-9ED7-974922C57069-5598-000003284559359C_zpsd2c0a8ae.jpg

Another amazing looking guitar! Tell more about it please!

For the 1st time in forever, my R9 never left its case at last night's gig. I went with this bad girl all evening. I can see a repeat coming.

THIS IS AN AMAZING AXE, 11TOP. And a 245 if I recall? What a great combination. The AV burl top just sends it over the edge.

My #1 looks a bit darker in the morning and sometimes it's even red if I've eaten beets the day before.

C'mon! I know it's awful but I have been holding that in for days!!!! I left it wide open for alantig.... but I couldn't wait any longer. I had to go.

My #1 looks a bit darker in the morning and sometimes it's even red if I've eaten beets the day before.

C'mon! I know it's awful but I have been holding that in for days!!!! I left it wide open for alantig.... but I couldn't wait any longer. I had to go.

Orange soda and B12!

Seems every time I buy a guitar it turns into my #1
Now it's my P22. Doesn't compare to some of the beauties in this thread, but it gets the job done.

IMG_20150608_172232_hdr_zps0uvozho4.jpg

Last edited:
Back