Does this ever happen to you?

RickP

Established 1960, Still Not Dead
You buy a guitar, a relatively obscure model that is selling for a reasonable cost, and discover it really fits what you do. You decide you could really use a second one. But then, the FBI or someone notifies the world, and every person selling said guitar suddenly wants $1000 more than you were seeing them routinely selling for before your discovery. Soooooo frustrating!

Seems to happen for amps too.

Purchased, and have become quite fond of, a 1999 McCarty Hollowbody Spruce. There was a guy on Vintage Rocker selling a black one under $2K, but I could not get in touch with him (kept getting error messages when I PMed). Suddenly, every HB-1 Spruce is priced over 3 grand.

It happened again.

New gear contact tracing app on your tablets, phones, computers. They are watching us! :eek:

Funny you mention that, as I just bought a modified SE One with moons, and then decided I wanted an all original one, in excellent condition, with birds. I watched the price drop on the one I was watching, and poof it was gone. The remaining models all had moons, were not as good shape, and cost more. :mad:

Yeah, I noticed that recently too.

I think it has more to do with the current situation of people buying a lot of guitars, so the realistically priced ones are all gone, and all that’s left are the opportunists and dreamers.

Unless of course the the world collectively got their head’s outta their @sses and realized Spruce HB’s are the sh!t. But.... nah... I haven’t seen any evidence of that happening.

Yeah, I've noticed that, too. I was looking for an HB Spruce last month and was surprised by how few there were, and the prices they were asking. Heck, I bought my Westie for $2,750 a little over 3 years ago. Today, they're priced at $4,500. Two weeks ago they were all over $5k.

Yeah, I've noticed that, too. I was looking for an HB Spruce last month and was surprised by how few there were, and the prices they were asking. Heck, I bought my Westie for $2,750 a little over 3 years ago. Today, they're priced at $4,500. Two weeks ago they were all over $5k.

I mean, that’s how much Westies should go for. Hopefully the rash of crackheads who sold theirs so cheap is gone.

I'm going to keep shopping. One of those crackheads @sergiodeblanc referred to must still be out there, just waiting...

I got mine off of eBay for.... I don’t really wanna say, or it’ll sound like I’m bragging or trying to make people feel bad. But it was cheap, so cheap that I didn’t fully understand why my now wife-then girlfriend was so p!ssed at me for not telling her I bought it.

After that one, I found at least three HBII’s for Bodia, and one for the singer of my band that weren’t that expensive either.

I think those 3k guys are dreaming, unless the whole John Mayer D&C/Phish/Jam thing has made them super popular?

everything's gone up...

I was contemplating selling my Fender Strat but now hesitating 'cuz I dont think ill be ever able to land a similar one for that low of a price I paid again (I got it used back in 2015, now theres at least a $200-300 premium).

Sign of the times I guess

I definitely want a spruce HB but they are crazy expensive. Similar thing happened with Standards. People trying to get $2k for them these days. I picked up my old satin one for $1100 and got beat down to $900 when I had to sell it. I found the exact one a few years later and they shop was gonna “cut me a deal” at $1700....

I definitely want a spruce HB but they are crazy expensive. Similar thing happened with Standards. People trying to get $2k for them these days. I picked up my old satin one for $1100 and got beat down to $900 when I had to sell it. I found the exact one a few years later and they shop was gonna “cut me a deal” at $1700....
Yes, I had a nice NF3 I sold years ago thinking I’d be able to pick up another in a few years cheaper than they were then... you could find them regularly in the upper three figures. Word got out I was looking, and prices doubled or worse.

I’ll be patient, I’ve got time. I’m going to put a few rarely used amps up for sale and build up some cash while I wait. It’s out there right now, and it’s going to happen!

The last 6 months have been particularly bad to try to get a good price. Most used stock that’s left either priced high or sold within 5 minutes. People working from home has dissipated the used market. Nobody has to worry about getting caught guitar shopping anymore. I suppose it’s nicer to sell getting a little more now.

New gear contact tracing app on your tablets, phones, computers. They are watching us! :eek:

Funny you mention that, as I just bought a modified SE One with moons, and then decided I wanted an all original one, in excellent condition, with birds. I watched the price drop on the one I was watching, and poof it was gone. The remaining models all had moons, were not as good shape, and cost more. :mad:

I hate to be that guy...... but I think I was that guy who bought the guitar! Hopefully It was worth stalking it for the past month

The prices on Standards was/is criminal.

Oh, and you meant to say you want a Spruce HB and a Santana. Because you’ll never comprehend how you lived before. ;):D:rolleyes:

I’ll be patient, I’ve got time. I’m going to put a few rarely used amps up for sale and build up some cash while I wait. It’s out there right now, and it’s going to happen!
I suppose it’s nicer to sell getting a little more now.

I have always said “Never sell, only buy” but lately....

Back