Does PRS use obeche anymore on any builds?

I'm taking that award away now.

“And the award for the shortest held award, goes to - “

“Alnus Rubra”

the award gets handed back and a long walk back into the audience.

(slow hand clap, one wee Ned laughs)

Somewhere in the crowd, a conversation goes something like this:

“See that Alnus Rubra?!”

“Aye!”

“”What a numpty, he only had tae keep his trap shut for five seconds, but oh no! He got all above himself, started spouting off about Obeche! I mean I like his music, but ye cannae say that a DJ, god bless his poor wee dead bum, smells of fish!”

“Nah, I dinnae think that that was who he was talking aboot”

“What?!”

“He was talking aboot wud”

“Wud?!”

“Aye, ye ken Tonewud?!”

“Ach you’ve lost me noo! Time we were awa for a bevvy!”

“Noo ye talking”

AR walks past.

“Anyway, what does Alnus Rubra mean?”

“Ach, I dinnae ken! Probably award losing Dobber!”

For those who have never seen obeche...
On the left is a big chunk of obeche. It looks very bright and you don't see much figure in it. The guitar this is on weighs 6.04 lbs with no chambering.
CK_16P&LWithPaulMilesGuitarTop.JPG

You can match colour really well with it though. I marked a spot on the top that I wanted the neck and back to conform to.
CK_196SpaltNeckAndCover.JPG

It turns out, I used obeche on my first and last visits to the vault.
CK_516AlohaBack.JPG

The smell produces great "guitar face"

I’m wondering just how funky this wood is. Fishy funky? BO funky? Funkier than Prince’s Madcat Tele funky... because that guitar produced some AWESOME guitar funk.

{Casi1 needs her next guitar to be very lightweight... this wood might be just what she needs but she doesn’t want it to be that *not good* kind of funky}

Last edited:
I’m wondering just how funky this wood is. Fishy funky? BO funky? Funkier than Prince’s Madcat Tele funky... because that guitar produced some AWESOME guitar funk.

{Casi1 needs her next guitar to be very lightweight... this wood might be just what she needs but she doesn’t want it to be that *not good* kind of funky}
It’s been a while since I handled the raw cut wood. My memory is that it was kind of 4 days in the woods funky. Using it for the back of a guitar will drop a lot of weight.

You won’t know how funky it was once it’s in a guitar....except the funky freedom it gives you being able to bounce around with something so light.

Eddie VH and John Suhr were big fans of basswood bodies. The Music Man VH and many of Suhr’s guitars used it, and they were not only very light, but sounded great. The only drawback is that like obeche, it not very appealing visually. I’m surprised we haven’t seen that used some by PRS or maybe I’ve just missed it.

Eddie VH and John Suhr were big fans of basswood bodies. The Music Man VH and many of Suhr’s guitars used it, and they were not only very light, but sounded great. The only drawback is that like obeche, it not very appealing visually. I’m surprised we haven’t seen that used some by PRS or maybe I’ve just missed it.
My Axis sounds fantastic! It's light, but has the low mid gut punch of a heavy thick guitar like a Les Paul. (And, the Floyd and stainless frets that some of you don't like, I love!) But it doesn't have that hog grind in the mids... which I like at times, but not in every guitar.

Yup, I was looking into basswood last year for this reason but saw that PRS doesn’t use it. I found that A LOT of small shops use it to make awesome guitars. I’m not so concerned with flame and figure if the guitar sounds and feels good.

p.s. I know I've said this before, but, I think the big low mids is probably somewhere around equal parts basswood body, and decked floyd. A decked floyd has much more low mids and bottom than the same guitar with a floating one. At least as much, and probably a little bit more than a wrap around fixed tail piece, and at least as much two piece fixed bridge guitar. Maybe a little bit more than even a two piece, depending on a couple other specifics.

My Axis sounds fantastic! It's light, but has the low mid gut punch of a heavy thick guitar like a Les Paul. (And, the Floyd and stainless frets that some of you don't like, I love!) But it doesn't have that hog grind in the mids... which I like at times, but not in every guitar.

I have a MM VH guitar (like Axis) and it sounds great.

I have a MIJ F Strat that would appear to be Basswood (Linden/Lime).

Yes it’s not an interesting wood to look at, but it’s nicely resonant and light.

So this thread reminded me of a couple of things:

This is from a review of the Mira X:

PRS says the body is African Basswood, except it isn't: it's a lighter weight wood called obeche (also known as wawa and samba, apparently).

"It's not regular basswood," confirms Paul Reed Smith. "Look, korina isn't really korina, it's African limba wood, but because no one liked that name they re-named it korina.

"This stuff is called obeche but it's like African basswood. See, basswood is kinda dead, I don't like the sound of it at all. This stuff rings… so it's kind of like an African basswood in its feel but it's not the same genus."

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/prs-mira-x-216055

So, PRS doesn't use "African basswood" because PRSh says he doesn't like it. Instead they used Obeche on the Mira X (and Starla X, IIRC), but called it "African Basswood".

It's fishy funky

Back