Does it annoy or worries you, if you find some small dents/ scratch on your guitar?

Timothyinspa

Well we all love our PRS guitars, but sometimes when you play it dents or scratch appears on your guitar.

How do you guys feel about it, do you worry about it or just leave it alone and ignore it?

As others have said, it's an instrument, and it's meant to be played. Sure a ding or scratch can be annoying, but it's not worth worrying over.

One thing that's great about the PRS is the PTC; they "have our backs." They can easily handle finish repairs. If something truly bothered me, I'd send it to them without question; my experience with the PTC has been hugely positive.

And the setups -- seriously great.

Yeah, whatever! I'm enjoying relic'ing mine the natural way, by gigging it hard and gigging it often. Not abusing it, just playing it and treating it like I'd treat any guitar. I mean, it's no Casper but it's a start.

20130215_220359.jpg

Well we all love our PRS guitars, but sometimes when you play it dents or scratch appears on your guitar.

How do you guys feel about it, do you worry about it or just leave it alone and ignore it?

I've found that the very first ding or scratch really stings a bit, but after that I accept it as wear and tear on an instrument that I use constantly to play out. If I don't want to see a ding on my axe, I shouldn't be playing it and carrying it out to gigs... Maybe wrap it in bubble-wrap? That might change the tone a little though...

:violin:

I used to care, not anymore. They are a tool and tools get beat up sometimes, even when you least expect it.

I wholeheartedly agree that they should be played and once in a while dings happen but man, the first ding always stings a little...most of my personal mishaps involve smacking the headstock on either a keyboard or mic stand.

First one is annoying but after that i couldn't give a monkeys! It would only annoy me if it was something that HAD to be repaired. The dents and scratches tell a story and show the instrument's had a life.

First one is annoying but after that i couldn't give a monkeys! It would only annoy me if it was something that HAD to be repaired. The dents and scratches tell a story and show the instrument's had a life.

That's my take.

However, if you're a collector of pristine instruments then that's another issue (in other words you are wrong in your views and guitars are supposed to acquire love-bumps! :beer: )

I find no matter how careful I am something always happens. Usually its a small ding or dent but it really sings at first, mostly due to my stupidity. But after that I grow used to them and as long as it does not affect play I don't usually worry about it.

I welcome the first ding, it's like part of the "breaking in" period on a new engine (that's a whole different discussion), because once it's done you're not afraid to thrash it!

I got my "players" and my "collectors".

The players I can play and be casual with. They include my '86 "Pre-Standard #900 with Birds in Pearl Black....and my '98 Artist 3 that was purchased with numerous bumps and bruises. No inhibitions whatsoever, when either of these are plugged in.

However...those in the "collection"are played....with:
  • white gloves....
  • in a smoke-free room.....
  • at proper humidity.....
  • after the guitar condom has been carefully placed on....
  • and after all furniture and equipment has been bubble wrapped to avoid direct contact with wood.
  • under correct lighting conditions
  • after the dog has been brought upstairs
  • And only until the timer goes off, indicating that they must be replaced in the case and locked tight away until they rotate back into "delicate usage" :laugh:

It's good to get it over with early in a guitar's life.

Back