Does Distortion Make Everything Sound The Same?

I did a similar test a few weeks ago. I recorded all 9 of my guitars through 4 different Marshall amps and even did one amp on both channels and added a boost and an overdrive to that clean channel to make that 5 amps.
I used an identical IR for each track as well.
So, that was 45 tracks of moderate gain guitar and guess what?
You can hear a distinctive difference between all 45 tracks.
I have also done a recording capturing the room sound with a cell phone with all my guitars and one single amp and cab. Same result everyone has it's own unique sound.

There’s a reason you can’t sell a metal zone for over $25. That said, if you’re purely looking for lots of gain no matter what you plug it into, I suppose it has a purpose. I use mine to hold jacks while I’m making cables.

This made me laugh out loud!!! At least you're getting good use out of your metal zone!!!

Excellent observation.

Also turning the volume down on a fuzz was one of Hendrix’ tricks for certain clean tones, as contrary as that might seem!

Yes! One can achieve a glassy clean tone with a Germanium-based fuzz effect and the volume turned down. Allow Mr. Pete Thorn to demonstrate....

Also, there can be subtle differences in guitars even with a lot of distortion. I once owned a Gibson ES335 and that sucker growled when distorted. That's the closest I can describe, but it was exciting to hear. I can only hope my (soon to be NGD) McCarty 594 HBII sounds like that!

1jxxqe.jpg

Back