Does anyone else think the S2s would be better off with a different carve?

The carve -- front and back -- on my S2 Mira fits better than any other guitar I have sampled. Feels good. Looks good. I bought the guitar sight-unseen, so I'm very happy with the result. I'll wait until I can play an S2 Singlecut before commenting.

Give me a magic wand and I would conjure up an S2 408.

My evolution with PRS:
About a year ago: Bought a SE Santana...traded in a Mex Strat. I thought this Santana is the best guitar I have had...even better than my Les Paul Custom.
So . . . . .
I bought a SE Custom 24...liked it even better than the Santana
So ......
I traded for a S2 custom 24. I thought this had to be better than the SE Custom 24.
So.....after playing the S2 a while I tried out a CORE model.
So...
It didn't take me long to get rid of the S2 and the LP for a real Maryland Custom 24. It's like comparing a bicycle to a harley. I still have the SE Custom 24 and the Santana and use them from time to time, but the CORE is night and day difference. I really do think the S2 is just a SE on steroids.

I've played with my brother in law's SE Santana, I have a CU24 (in sig).

It's night and day difference, I mean they both play great but the Core PRS is just better in every way.

I have a ZM limited coming this summer so I can do a even more indepth comparison. But I think for the money the SE are extremely good guitars.

Side note, I was going to get a S2 as my second PRS but the S2 starts at £1,000 here, £1200 with birds inlay. You can get an SE between £550 to £750. The £550-600 SE is decent value and I don't see the point getting a £750 SE model when the S2 can be had for £300 more.

The carve is what stopped me from getting a S2 over a SE. I was hoping for a SE or dare I say a G - brand carve on the S2's. Another major disappointment was the neck heal on the singlecut's, some guys might like it shorter, but I can't get it out of my head that it was a shortcut to cut cost, and the thinner maple top makes it well........Negative Ghost Rider.

IMO they are ugly; however they look comfortable, and there are lots of people out there who prefer accessibility and functionality over looks; I am kind of shallow that way.

But the reason I love my CE-22 and Hollowbody II are the tones I can get on them (to me the HBII sounds like a child with a well-trained but slightly throaty, husky voice singing loudly in a smaller room; the CE is like a more powerful singer -a smoother and more muscular voice- in a larger venue); the Hollowbody is not as comfortable because the back is not only arched (not a huge problem for me, as I am more concave than convex), but has a ridge running around it. I play it a lot because I love the 57/08s, but it could be more ergonomic!

That is where I see the S2s being important for the company: they look and are reported to be very comfortable and well-balanced, and they are accessibly priced. Will I try one? No; as I said, I love the tones of the "real deal"... and I am simply shallow that way. Seems a good thing for PRS re acceptance on a wider scale, however.

IMO they are ugly; however they look comfortable, and there are lots of people out there who prefer accessibility and functionality over looks; I am kind of shallow that way.

But the reason I love my CE-22 and Hollowbody II are the tones I can get on them (to me the HBII sounds like a child with a well-trained but slightly throaty, husky voice singing loudly in a smaller room; the CE is like a more powerful singer -a smoother and more muscular voice- in a larger venue); the Hollowbody is not as comfortable because the back is not only arched (not a huge problem for me, as I am more concave than convex), but has a ridge running around it. I play it a lot because I love the 57/08s, but it could be more ergonomic!

That is where I see the S2s being important for the company: they look and are reported to be very comfortable and well-balanced, and they are accessibly priced. Will I try one? No; as I said, I love the tones of the "real deal"... and I am simply shallow that way. Seems a good thing for PRS re acceptance on a wider scale, however.

This doesn't make sense. I'm pretty sure from what other people have said, and my own experience, that they sound identical to the core lineup - they just don't look as good.

IMO, two guitars of the same make and model -and even year and maker- often sound very different; it is not just the pups; it is the whole of it being an instrument, physical and electrical, and the filtering and the resonances and every other variable which goes into being a good instrument, or an average or not-so-good one. I do not think that my HB II with its hollow body and 57/08TM pups or my CE with its Dragon IIs would sound anything like the S models... but I have not heard them A/Bed through the same gear, so I could not say for sure. Those with more experience than I have in this area have told me that the S line sounds "thinner" than the Core models, and similar comments, but this could be a willing placebo type reaction from people who have Core Line models. I have heard the S line, but only on other people's amps, which of course will sound at the very least somewhat different from mine. -Even if the amps are of the same year and make.

IMO, two guitars of the same make and model -and even year and maker- often sound very different; it is not just the pups; it is the whole of it being an instrument, physical and electrical, and the filtering and the resonances and every other variable which goes into being a good instrument, or an average or not-so-good one. I do not think that my HB II with its hollow body and 57/08TM pups or my CE with its Dragon IIs would sound anything like the S models... but I have not heard them A/Bed through the same gear, so I could not say for sure. Those with more experience than I have in this area have told me that the S line sounds "thinner" than the Core models, and similar comments, but this could be a willing placebo type reaction from people who have Core Line models. I have heard the S line, but only on other people's amps, which of course will sound at the very least somewhat different from mine. -Even if the amps are of the same year and make.

So true.

I remember reading that Billy Gibbons said that he had 45 Plexis and they all sounded different, one from another. I am (distantly) upset with him for selling his Trainwreck, "Sarah".

I'm fine with the carve, it's just a continuation of Joe Knaggs "thing" he did with the original EG model. The blade switch is another story.... :evil:

We jumped on them at the store I work . We still have the 4 Custom 24's,1 Mira, and 2 Starlas. We have sold 1 starla,though. I,personally feel the option of a wide-thin neck carve would help. Some of the customers were a little put off because they don't come with a hardshell case; which we would think at that price point they would.
I have been playing PRS' since 1988 and I really like the S2 line,but with the economy right now, we need all the help we can get.

But is PRS shooting for current PRS customers or guys like me who were "anything but PRS"?

I like the bevel cut on the S2s, that's one of the things that convinced me to buy mine.

I must admit that I prefer a nice, smooth carved top like some other PRS models, but I don't think I'd like the S2 as much with a flat top. The wood grain, finished as it is on my guitar, grabbed me and dragged me in - I really liked it! I couldn't be happier with the guitar. The bevel added to it. If it were a smooth carved, perhaps that would enhance it, but I don't think I would have bought a flat-top, no matter the sound. For me it's a combination of features, looks and tone. I already have flat tops with great tone. I wanted something different, and PRS is known for that, and for the great quality of their instruments.

Just my $0.02...

I must be the an anomaly. I didn't detect any difference in tone or feel with the s2 cu24 and the se. The only reason to buy one IMHO is to be able to say you have a USA prs.

As for the core models, I've owned an se 245 and currently own a sc245. While I like the core more, there is no way I'd pay 5 times the cost of the se. Maybe I'm just not refined enough to tell the difference. But being a Gibson historic snob I have some experience in discerning the differences between the lower end models and the quality instruments.

The S2 line is not for everyone, but I find the Mira to be the best all-mahogany doublecut guitar I have ever played. It is also arguably the most comfortable guitar I have every played and I actually prefer the look to the original. I've owned slab-bodied Gibsons over the years and they are nowhere near as nice to play, so I am quite happy with the shape of the Mira.

The S2 line is not for everyone, but I find the Mira to be the best all-mahogany doublecut guitar I have ever played. It is also arguably the most comfortable guitar I have every played and I actually prefer the look to the original. I've owned slab-bodied Gibsons over the years and they are nowhere near as nice to play, so I am quite happy with the shape of the Mira.

agreed. i've only played one Mira and it was fantastic. I was very interested in the S2 Mira as well, but I was too enamored with a SC.

Back