Does anyone else think the S2s would be better off with a different carve?

Nah - outline birds, dirt birds and apparently brushstroke birds.

And eliminating free dinner at Experience. :eek:

I like the S2 bevel fine. The things for me are the finishes and the maple tops. A couple of the colors just don't look right to me for some reason, for example I was really digging the idea of a vintage cherry Mira, but the more of them I've seen in that color, it's like there's a milky, blurry tint to the finish that keeps it from being the nice glassy effect that really shows off the wood grain. The tobacco sunburst, on the other hand, looks awesome. I would say for the most part I like the finishes, but there are a couple, especially the red ones, that just don't "pop" for me.

Then there are the tops on the maple capped models. Many hardly have any detectable figure. I get it, I'm sure to get a really nice figure and keep materials cost down they would have to do a veneer, full thickness pieces of figured maple are probably just too pricey. But to be honest, I would rather have the veneer, or preferably just an all hog body with some decent grain to it like the Mira and Starla. The flameless maple just looks kind of lost on the S2's.

I like the S2 bevel fine. The things for me are the finishes and the maple tops. A couple of the colors just don't look right to me for some reason, for example I was really digging the idea of a vintage cherry Mira, but the more of them I've seen in that color, it's like there's a milky, blurry tint to the finish that keeps it from being the nice glassy effect that really shows off the wood grain. The tobacco sunburst, on the other hand, looks awesome. I would say for the most part I like the finishes, but there are a couple, especially the red ones, that just don't "pop" for me.

Then there are the tops on the maple capped models. Many hardly have any detectable figure. I get it, I'm sure to get a really nice figure and keep materials cost down they would have to do a veneer, full thickness pieces of figured maple are probably just too pricey. But to be honest, I would rather have the veneer, or preferably just an all hog body with some decent grain to it like the Mira and Starla. The flameless maple just looks kind of lost on the S2's.

funny thing, guys on MLP say that flamed maple costs the same as plain maple. The upcharge is because people will pay it.

funny thing, guys on MLP say that flamed maple costs the same as plain maple. The upcharge is because people will pay it.

I have to say, I have heard that too, but it just doesn't make sense to me... If it were the same price, why use plain slab and veneer the SE's?

Buy an se and spend the remainder of your money on beer.....or save up for a core

The Miraz and Starla, I can see. Re core models "5 X the price" - really? *Smacks self's gob with heel of hand*

At first, I didn't like the look and, admittedly, I wasn't even enthusiastic about the S2 series in general. As time went on and I started reading reviews, my curiosity began to open my mind up more. A friend of mine recently picked up the S2 Custom 24 and had me over to check it out. I liked it A LOT. I thought the bevel, while hard to get used to visually (after being so acustomed to the Core and SE line), was very comfortable. My forearm rested very comfortabley on the top of the body, placing my picking hand in an ideal and comfortable position. While looks were what originally drew me to PRS, playability and functionality have really taken precedence. That's just me, though.

Agreed 100%. In fact I could have written that word for word aside from the friend acquiring one. I tried one at a dealer.

Back