Does anyone else think the S2s would be better off with a different carve?

OperatorAce

Personally, I think they would look better plain flattop. That bevel only works on the Mira/Starla.

At first, I didn't like the look and, admittedly, I wasn't even enthusiastic about the S2 series in general. As time went on and I started reading reviews, my curiosity began to open my mind up more. A friend of mine recently picked up the S2 Custom 24 and had me over to check it out. I liked it A LOT. I thought the bevel, while hard to get used to visually (after being so acustomed to the Core and SE line), was very comfortable. My forearm rested very comfortabley on the top of the body, placing my picking hand in an ideal and comfortable position. While looks were what originally drew me to PRS, playability and functionality have really taken precedence. That's just me, though.

Yeah, that's what got me at first. I figured the Core models and SE line were worlds ahead in looks and just didn't get what they were doing with this line. However, the more I read about it and kind of looked at it differently, the more I realized this line is all about functionality and they do their jobs VERY well. I just had a blast playing that Custom 24, definitely a workhorse of an instrument.

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing in the S2 line would be solid colors...maybe something different than whats offered in the SE line. Maybe a Goldtop or since they took the Orianthi finish out, something like a silver-sparkle or something - like what they did with the CE's.

Last edited:
Solid colors + S2 carve is fine by me. I suppose my problem is the flame maple with that carve. I'd totally get a S2 Singlecut in a solid color.

I'll only speak for myself regarding the Mira and honestly can't think of anything I'd change with the carve. My previous most playable guitar was a 80 Ibanez Blazer (think Strat), which is very comfortable but feels big. The Mira on the other hand makes me almost forget that it's there sitting or standing.
For me I'd like them to stay basic regarding the finishes, I just find them nicely understated.

I've seen a few of them in person and I think they look pretty cheap.

Funny thing is that's how I felt about the SE line and stayed away from them like they had the plague, so PRS wasn't going to get me with those. I was looking more at Gibsons and Fenders in the $1,500 to $2,000 range and just about settled for a Captain Kirk Douglas SG when my wife popped for the S2 Mira for my birthday. I was pleasantly surprised by it when I finally got to play it and PRS won a new customer. No bling, no birds, no flame, just a nice basic guitar to gig with that doesn't scream PRS.

I'm a solid color guy anyway, and would 100% rather have a bevel than a flat top on any guitar. One of the things I never got used to with my SE Mushok baritone was the flat top. My whole right arm up to my shoulder gets into a different position.

I like the look of the S2, and had an original Mira with that bevel; it's a very comfortable guitar to play at a gig!

People are SO worried about looks; how about ergonomics and comfort for a change?

When I want ergonomics and comfort I reach for my Les Paul...
...then move it out of the way to grab one of my other guitars.:laugh:

From back in the day I remember very few guitars that had real looks. Strats, Teles, LPs, Flying Vs, SGs, 335s, etc all looked nice but nothing that pegged them as works of art or anything. When did the whole looks thing start up?

My S2 Singlecut is hands down the most comfortable full thickness Les Paul styled guitar I have ever owned or played. I actually like the look of the beveled tops on it too. Loved it on the Musicman JP6, love it on these. To me, it's just a different flavor. I prefer the way the core carved top on the Custom 22/24 looks over the S2 Custom 22/24, but I prefer the feel of the S2 over the core. I actually prefer both the look and feel of the S2 Singlecut over the core. Just my taste & opinion...

I'm desperate to try the S2 Singlecut. My SE Singlecut is my most played guitar, and I'm seriously considering upgrading, but I haven't seen any at all.

Many sites here in the uk say they can get them, but finding someone that stocks them is tough.

I bought my SE used last year as an introduction to PRS, and I'm interested to know how the S2 compares and whether it's worth an upgrade.

I think the S2 Singlecut looks weird. The asymmetrical carve doesn't look right to me for the LP style. I was seriously considering getting one despite the carve because I prefer the aluminum bridge, but then I saw on Sweetwater pics that the control panels on the back aren't recessed. For me, this was not the corner to cut. So I went for the SE 245 instead which should tide me over until they bring back a core SC with a wrap around stoptail.

I used to have an SE Torero, I would have preferred to see the S2 Custom 22 / 24 with the Torero forearm bevel which actually makes the flat top look good.

I used to have an SE Torero, I would have preferred to see the S2 Custom 22 / 24 with the Torero forearm bevel which actually makes the flat top look good.

Yes Agreed..I like that forearm bevel on my Torero alot.

As for the S2 Custom 24, I HATE the carve...It looks like a cliff.
I bought an SE Custom 24 on Monday and that carve on the S2 kept me away from buying it.

I actually love the carve on the S2 SC, Mira and Starla. But it does look kind of weird on the Customs, especially the ones with bursts, I agree they look better in solid color (the CUs), but the S2 SC in burst colors is gorgeous, especially the dark cherry sunburst one, I wants!

I think we'll get use to them after a while.

I am probably in the minority (given the recent poll) but I think the new S2 Mira looks better than the original - it's more balanced and proportional-looking. The S2 Starla I probably couldn't tell from the Core in a lineup.

The carve on the S2 Customs, I agree, leave the most to be desired. Haven't seen one in person, but from photos, they look exactly like SEs to me.

The S2 SC - I will have one before year's end :) Individually split-able pups have me in a drool...

Back