Do you think you hear what you think you hear?

gush

Where is that speedo pic
I have been recording live shows for a while now and I spend a great deal of time listening to whats been captured. It has proven to be a great tool for finding weak spots in our show. The reason for this thread is what dont you hear when you play live with others. Listening to seperate tracks of our live show has revealed problems that I didnt know we had.

How many of you have watched a band play that really needed a lot of work? What about the backups being nothing more than unison vocals of inconsistent pitch? Lets not forget the guy that pulls out a nice Les Paul and a maxed out metal zone pedal.

It is not my goal to pick apart other musicians but rather ask a question. What do these people hear when they perform? What do you hear when you perform? Better yet, what does your audience hear when you perform.

My group is nothing more than weekend warriors but I really want to be as good as we can be so I constantly push the guys to do better. Is it worth the effort? You bet it is! There is always the chance that we might have keen ears listening.

I remember whaen I ws at college doing a music course and I thought I was a pretty good guitarist at the time. That was until I was recorded for the first time and realised my timing was off, my bends where off and my tone sucked. Massive wake up call!!!

Recording yourself is one of the best things you can do methinks. Play clean without compression and then listen back to what you've recorded. Any issues will be as clear as day.

Long time ago, when i was a lil kid taking lessons, my teacher kept getting on me about my mistakes. One day at the end of a lesson, he gave me a cassette tape of a lesson with the playin, talking and all. He said go home and listen to everything played and said on this tape of this lesson. Guess what! I fixed it real quick. Like you said clear as day with the light bulb shining bright! Made all the difference in the world!

Back