Do you think PRS could make their own version of a combo practice amp like a katana?

PRS, love the company, love the guitars, admire Paul considerably, but (of course there’s a but), amps are not their core competency. I don’t shop them for amps. Good business book, “Discipline of Market Leaders”, advocates don’t try to be everything to everyone, rather choose your market focus and DOMINATE that space.

PRS, love the company, love the guitars, admire Paul considerably, but (of course there’s a but), amps are not their core competency. I don’t shop them for amps. Good business book, “Discipline of Market Leaders”, advocates don’t try to be everything to everyone, rather choose your market focus and DOMINATE that space.
Oh boy... you're fixin' to get "Schefman'd!" :p
:p:p

What kind of amps do you play?

Here ya go. If you like Plexi tone, this is a great one.

Try the DG30:

PRS makes great amps. I have both of these. Not that you're obliged to agree, but...Screw bulls!t business books. Business and art aren't two peas in a pod. they're different. High quality amps aren't really widgets.

And yeah, I've owned my own business since 1976. So I have some context for all of this. I've recorded with them on national advertising tracks since I bought them in 2014.

"You must be pretty old."

"I've been to this rodeo a few times, yeah."

Last edited:

Try the DG30:

PRS makes great amps. I have both of these. Not that you're obliged to agree, but...Screw bulls!t business books. Business and aren't art in the same context. Amps aren't widgets.
I've watched both of those multiple times and they are both killer amps.

Try the DG30:

PRS makes great amps. I have both of these. Not that you're obliged to agree, but...Screw bulls!t business books. Business and art aren't two peas in a pod. they're different. High quality amps aren't really widgets.

And yeah, I've owned my own business since 1976. So I have some context for all of this. I've recorded with them on national advertising tracks since I bought them in 2014.

"You must be pretty old."

"I've been to this rodeo a few times, yeah."

That's cheating: Nicky Moroch and DG would make a wet sock (with holes in it) sound awesome.

The simple answer is no. That market is saturated and PRS would have to outlay a hefty sum to hire designers, programmers, etc to get it going, so you're talking at least a few years to get started up, prototyped and then eventually into production and all for what? To compete in a market with likely razor thin margins? Just makes no sense. Also, there's this nasty global chip shortage that should rightfully scare off anyone with a few functional brain cells from wanting to even dip a toe in that pool.

The simple answer is no. That market is saturated and PRS would have to outlay a hefty sum to hire designers, programmers, etc to get it going, so you're talking at least a few years to get started up, prototyped and then eventually into production and all for what? To compete in a market with likely razor thin margins? Just makes no sense. Also, there's this nasty global chip shortage that should rightfully scare off anyone with a few functional brain cells from wanting to even dip a toe in that pool.
Not to mention that Paul makes performance tools, and anything with the word “practice” in it is not of much interest to him.

I'd love to see a really sweet 2 x 12ax7 1 EL84 bedroom amp with a 10" maybe 5-10w

Back