Do you think guitar solos & improvisation will return to mainstream music?

Will guitar improv ever make the mainstream again?

• Nah, shut up and listen to the lyrics & composition.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Someday the younger kids are gonna play as many notes as Al DiMeola.

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters
i know she writes some of it, my point was shellback and max martin and the guy from ‘fun’ and etc are also involved, which is a big part of the sound vs ariana grande which is more generic, like the songs are off beatport and she does a vocal and two or three ad-libs (usually ‘yuh-yuh’) over it.

I think while we'll all have outlets for our creativity, the above-50 crowd will likely identify with classic rock music as the music they grew up with.

i lived through ‘red’, ‘1989’, and ‘reputation’, and oh boy did i think i disliked swifty until i heard ariana’s new material.

kind of unrelated, ariana looks just like her brother frankie but with clip on hair:

frankie-grande-headshot.jpg

Real talk: I like the donut licking girl better.

i lived through ‘red’, ‘1989’, and ‘reputation’, and oh boy did i think i disliked swifty until i heard ariana’s new material.

kind of unrelated, ariana looks just like her brother frankie but with clip on hair:

Although I did say 'outlet,' this is not what was being referred to. Forgive the previous response which unkindly disparaged @jxe. It is not my usual manner and was my only being brash and rushing to judgment before considering @jxe.

Last edited:

I think Ariana’s new stuff is getting to the point where I’m finally paying attention to her, and Taylor is kinda fading into the background...

Wow, that’s some resemblance!

Regards music and improvisation, please, if your local PBS station broadcasts this program on American Masters, view a tribute to "BB King, A Life of the Blues."

It is an impelling documentary of the career of BB King from his early years up until his passing recently. The documentary closes with the sun setting over the horizon, beautifully captured in red and orange hues.

When others had asked BB if they thought he was the "King of the Blues," BB replied, "No. There are others who can play what I play, and better than what I play. They're just not me."

I am thankful that this program was aired this evening, it gave me pause to reflect on my own time on this earth as a guitarist, and helped me realize that we need to look to our forefathers who provided us with the necessary instructions of how to be good people, and successful, good musicians.

Thanks BB.

I don't like the two poll options so, I'm not voting :)

You don't hear great guitar players, you FeEl them.
-Zakk Wylde

Nobody wants to listen to some self-important shredder practicing every note he knows at the fastest temp he can play on every song.

Shred needs to die before the guitar can move forward

I don't like the two poll options so, I'm not voting :)

You don't hear great guitar players, you FeEl them.
-Zakk Wylde

Nobody wants to listen to some self-important shredder practicing every note he knows at the fastest temp he can play on every song.

Shred needs to die before the guitar can move forward

There are many guitarists who play much more than is necessary to make a statement, or invoke a feeling. There have been only several who could play with only several notes and say what they needed to.

FTR, am not a fan of the fast-tempo-ed life. If it were possible (it is possible, just takes time and effort to listen and practice), I'd be playing way fewer notes and saying much more with those than the overabundance of noodling I do now.

In fact, this is where I might wish to be...relaxed, enjoying the scenery, perhaps pulling in a few brook trout...this is the Merced River in Yosemite Valley...beautiful, wot?

KMgYvlV.jpg

Last edited:
... and what do you consider guitar work that is moving forward?
Example?
I think guitar has, and should, move forward on multiple threads. Shred is one. Interesting chord progressions is one. Lazy melodic lines is one. The players I find most interesting blend the threads and use the transitions to change the mood and tell their story.

Example?

Hands down. Eastern European Kletzmer music with traditional garb & lute, washboard/thimble percussion and tambourine.

I think guitar has, and should, move forward on multiple threads. Shred is one. Interesting chord progressions is one. Lazy melodic lines is one. The players I find most interesting blend the threads and use the transitions to change the mood and tell their story.

OK, I retract. Not my best work.

100% agree, advancement is to be gained in *ALL* aspects of musicianship for it to move forward in any way, and not forsaking any aspect of the contributions thus far.

Example?

I'll know it when I hear it. Haven't you noticed guitar music is kinda stale at the moment?

It was kinda stale at the end of the 60s, and then, a whole host of players came along in the 70s, and basically removed a lot of the limitations.
They played with more Distortion, more blues feel, bigger louder, longer solos. New techniques were incorporated. Etcetera.

I'm not sure which direction is forward. However, I think that only a fool could notm the fact that guitar music in general is at a bit of a standstill right now.

On a related note (no pun intended), have you ever taken the time to realize that from the 1920s until today, virtually all popular music has had strong influence and elements of the blues?

Even that hippity hoppity nonsense has some minor traces of blues in its "lyrics". Depending upon how loosely you define the term "lyrics".

Listen (if you can stand it) to modern singers like Katy Pery, Lady Gaga, Adell, and I can't of the others.
What do you hear? Apart from garbage. What's at the core?

They're all blues singers.

Again, in some cases, you have to play it fast and loose with the term "blues" but, it's there.

Point being:
Shred contains zero or next to zero blues influence.

That's why it's not popular.

Shred playing is like this:
"Bro, watch me j**k myself off and play every note I know, at lightning speed, all in one solo."

"Lol sweet, dude. Now, watch ME j**k MYSELF off playing every note that I know. At blinding speed. In one solo."

"LMAO! Shred n00bs! Let me teach you both how to j**k off all over an audience!"

BORING!

Whatveer happened to heart soul feel melody emotion and power? Whatever happened to playing from your gut, and making the audience feel something? Inciting emotions within the listener?

Whatever happened to playing solos that touched a person's damn soul?

Who the hell listens to
Yngwei
Gilbert
Satriani
Vai
MAB
Rusty Cooley
Et Al

Guitar players. That's who. Think about all the Rock and Metal fans who live and die with guitar music but, don't care to listen to so-called "virtuoso" players.

Nobody wants to hear that "virtuoso" $#!t.
That's what's killing guitar music, Charlie Brown.

Remember the 80s when shred reigned supreme?
What happened?

Kirk Cobain single handedly took the very ideas of
Musical talent
Musical proficiency
The ability to play an instrument halfway decently
Guitar solos

And he made those ideas uncool. All of the 70s and 80s greats were forced to take a backseat to substandard, low quality, untalented, inexpressive garbage.

In the 00s, society looked to Rock and Metal and asked "Did you learn anything?"

Everybody started shredding again. And playing this djent crap. And then, to make matters worse, they took Rock N Roll, and they phuqing neutered it!

Now look at the crap that's popular! Justin Beaber. Bhad Bhabie. Nelly. 50 cents. Justin phuqing Timberlake. Beyonc...

The godam Backstreet boys are making a comeback for Chrisake!

Guitar music became a circle jerk of self-indulgence and "look at me!"

Well, now look what ya done! It's getting worse. Every. Damn. Day. It's getting worse.

Guitar based music has, for the most part, alienated all fans who don't play guitar.

I fear what will happen next. *Shudder*

</Rant>

Example?

I'll know it when I hear it. Haven't you noticed guitar music is kinda stale at the moment?

It was kinda stale at the end of the 60s, and then, a whole host of players came along in the 70s, and basically removed a lot of the limitations.
They played with more Distortion, more blues feel, bigger louder, longer solos. New techniques were incorporated. Etcetera.

I'm not sure which direction is forward. However, I think that only a fool could notm the fact that guitar music in general is at a bit of a standstill right now.

On a related note (no pun intended), have you ever taken the time to realize that from the 1920s until today, virtually all popular music has had strong influence and elements of the blues?

Even that hippity hoppity nonsense has some minor traces of blues in its "lyrics". Depending upon how loosely you define the term "lyrics".

Listen (if you can stand it) to modern singers like Katy Pery, Lady Gaga, Adell, and I can't of the others.
What do you hear? Apart from garbage. What's at the core?

They're all blues singers.

Again, in some cases, you have to play it fast and loose with the term "blues" but, it's there.

Point being:
Shred contains zero or next to zero blues influence.

That's why it's not popular.

Shred playing is like this:
"Bro, watch me j**k myself off and play every note I know, at lightning speed, all in one solo."

"Lol sweet, dude. Now, watch ME j**k MYSELF off playing every note that I know. At blinding speed. In one solo."

"LMAO! Shred n00bs! Let me teach you both how to j**k off all over an audience!"

BORING!

Whatveer happened to heart soul feel melody emotion and power? Whatever happened to playing from your gut, and making the audience feel something? Inciting emotions within the listener?

Whatever happened to playing solos that touched a person's damn soul?

Who the hell listens to
Yngwei
Gilbert
Satriani
Vai
MAB
Rusty Cooley
Et Al

Guitar players. That's who. Think about all the Rock and Metal fans who live and die with guitar music but, don't care to listen to so-called "virtuoso" players.

Nobody wants to hear that "virtuoso" $#!t.
That's what's killing guitar music, Charlie Brown.

Remember the 80s when shred reigned supreme?
What happened?

Kirk Cobain single handedly took the very ideas of
Musical talent
Musical proficiency
The ability to play an instrument halfway decently
Guitar solos

And he made those ideas uncool. All of the 70s and 80s greats were forced to take a backseat to substandard, low quality, untalented, inexpressive garbage.

In the 00s, society looked to Rock and Metal and asked "Did you learn anything?"

Everybody started shredding again. And playing this djent crap. And then, to make matters worse, they took Rock N Roll, and they phuqing neutered it!

Now look at the crap that's popular! Justin Beaber. Bhad Bhabie. Nelly. 50 cents. Justin phuqing Timberlake. Beyonc...

The godam Backstreet boys are making a comeback for Chrisake!

Guitar music became a circle jerk of self-indulgence and "look at me!"

Well, now look what ya done! It's getting worse. Every. Damn. Day. It's getting worse.

Guitar based music has, for the most part, alienated all fans who don't play guitar.

I fear what will happen next. *Shudder*

</Rant>

Back