Do you practice with background noise?

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
Am I the only one here who practices with the TV on in the background more often than I probably should.

In all fairness, the Phillies AND the Sixers were on.....I had to peek up at it every once in a while ;)

58939905_10161671614510331_3116594506686791680_n.jpg

I used to jam to sports games, but need to hear my iTunes over my computer speakers. Most noise I'll tolerate while jamming to iTunes now is myself chomping on a stick of gum.

I told myself the TV is in the music room just in case I had some sort of video I needed to play along with. But my computer is in there. I could play it through that. The reality is that I don't know why I have it on as often as I do. It's never loud enough to be heard over whatever I'm practicing or playing anyway. But somehow I feel like I needed in there. LOL

TV noise drives me nuts, whether I’m playing or not. The only TV I watch is Michigan football, and I turn the sound off. No need to hear the commentators tell me what I just saw with my actual, functioning eyeballs.

“But you do music for tv commercials for a living, Les.”

“Yes. Because I’m in hell.”

TV noise drives me nuts, whether I’m playing or not. The only TV I watch is Michigan football, and I turn the sound off. No need to hear the commentators tell me what I just saw with my actual, functioning eyeballs.

“But you do music for tv commercials for a living, Les.”

“Yes. Because I’m in hell.”
LOL....I am just the opposite. I can't even sleep without background noise. So I turn the TV on low volume. My ol' lady tries to turn it off once in a while and within 10 minutes or so of it going off, I wake up. It has been that way since I was a kid. I don't do absolute silence. Maybe I just need enough noise to drown out whatever noise is in my head.....lol

LOL....I am just the opposite. I can't even sleep without background noise. So I turn the TV on low volume. My ol' lady tries to turn it off once in a while and within 10 minutes or so of it going off, I wake up. It has been that way since I was a kid. I don't do absolute silence. Maybe I just need enough noise to drown out whatever noise is in my head.....lol

My wife grew up in a “TV on all the time” household. Doesn’t bother her. I’m probably abnormal. She does have the kindness to close the door of the room she watches TV in, but since I can still hear it (seems to me she listens at deafening volume) for many years I’ve simply gone into the studio, shut the door, and either worked on music, or read books.

I only knew one other person who felt the way I do about TV noise, a very talented musician and physician, but unfortunately he passed away, and now I’m the only person left on Earth who feels the way I do, apparently.

If it's not something that requires 100% of my attention, I'll even practice while playing some 4x games that don't require both hands (crazy what that does to your legato). But if it's some crazy pattern training, then I can't no. Also, if it's a song I just wrote, and I really want to embed it in my system, then I need complete silence/focus.

My wife grew up in a “TV on all the time” household. Doesn’t bother her. I’m probably abnormal. She does have the kindness to close the door of the room she watches TV in, but since I can still hear it (seems to me she listens at deafening volume) for many years I’ve simply gone into the studio, shut the door, and either worked on music, or read books.

I only knew one other person who felt the way I do about TV noise, a very talented musician and physician, but unfortunately he passed away, and now I’m the only person left on Earth who feels the way I do, apparently.

I am not exactly the same but similar. Can't stand TV noise in the background when I'm trying to read or do work (grading papers, preparing a class, etc.). If it's on I'm sitting there watching it and nothing else. No guitar playing while it's on, that's for sure.

And I only have one TV in the whole house - THAT is definitely abnormal!

You aren't alone. We have a TV, but it's only on when we are watching a movie, I can't stand TV as background noise. Waiting rooms with TVs are the worst.

Upstairs, in the "music room", no. In the basement, yes. The TV is usually on during the day, as background noise, while I am working. When I play down there, it's 50/50 that I,leave the TV on.

Back