Do you play your favorite guitarist's guitar?

No, because 1) Kirk Hammett owns it and 2) I couldn’t afford it even if it was for sale. Also, PRSs play better than the guitars most of my favorite guitarists play, and my playing needs all the help it can get! :D

Black1.jpg
Oh, look, someone copied a Silver Sky!

:eek::D

Always wanted a Clapton Strat. Bought a 305 instead. That completely ended my caring about what other people played.
I bought a Silver Sky a few weeks ago, but only because it's a PRS and I wanted something I knew would be properly and consistently made.
That being said, JM is an awesome player!

Always wanted a Clapton Strat. Bought a 305 instead. That completely ended my caring about what other people played.
I bought a Silver Sky a few weeks ago, but only because it's a PRS and I wanted something I knew would be properly and consistently made.
That being said, JM is an awesome player!

So...compare and contrast. 305 Vs. SS.

Yes and no.

I own a Brad Paisley Fender Tele in sparkle silver...and he DOES play that exact one, but I would rather have a Bill Crook tele in red sparkle with white pinstripe like Brad's.
I also did own a John 5 tele (which was amazing in every way), but sold it.
And I don't have a Silver Sky a la John Mayer.

I guess I will soon. Frusciante and Hendrix are my favorite players and I will soon have my Silver Sky. So when I use that instead of my Strat I suppose that would be an accurate statement.

Other than David Grissom and maybe Tim Mahoney (who I dig, but don't idolize), NONE of my favorite guitarists play/played/or would EVER play a PRS. Do I own other guitars that my favorites use? Yes, but always come back to my guitar, my goldtop 57/08 powered DGT - all beaten up and covered in stickers.

I listen to Fender and Gibson bands.

BUT, with great power comes great responsibility....no, what that really says to me is that I haven't been swayed by my love of my favorite guitarist, I've been turned by the quality of the product and company who backs it up. PRS is like NOTHING else out there - PRS let's me be me.

pic pls!

Other than David Grissom and maybe Tim Mahoney (who I dig, but don't idolize), NONE of my favorite guitarists play/played/or would EVER play a PRS. Do I own other guitars that my favorites use? Yes, but always come back to my guitar, my goldtop 57/08 powered DGT - all beaten up and covered in stickers.

BUT, with great power comes great responsibility....no, what that really says to me is that I haven't been swayed by my love of my favorite guitarist, I've been turned by the quality of the product and company who backs it up. PRS is like NOTHING else out there - PRS let's me be me.

Sort of.

I got into PRS guitars because Alex Lifeson was playing them when I first discovered Rush in the early 90s. I stuck with them because I found they had a similar sound to Gibsons, but with better playability -- I grew up playing Strat and even now I can't get used to the feel of a Gibson neck. So PRS gave me the ability to get heavier rock tones that a Strat couldn't pull off without having to completely readjust my playing style. So when Lifeson switched back to Gibson, I did not follow.

My 2008 Custom 24 is my current primary, and I think it gets as good a sound as any Les Paul.
I've also got a 1992 CE-24 (alder body/maple top), which lets me nail that Counterparts-era Rush tone.
And currently I'm waiting on a Private Stock Custom 24 semi-hollow that I ordered in an attempt to get sound similar to early Rush records from the 70s, when Lifeson was playing ES-335 and ES-355 guitars, but without sacrificing the PRS feel.

So except for the CE-24, I don't play the *exact* guitars my favorite guitar hero plays, but I do try to copy his sounds in my own way.

I was a huge JEL fan. I turned my Squier Strat into a copy of his guitar around 1985 with a replacement pickguard, a Super Distortion and a hammer and chisel.
Ok, that’s just freaky. In 1983, I bought a Chinese Strat, tore the sh*t out of it with chisels, installed a Floyd and Dimarzio Super Distortion, and played Scorpions for a year straight. Spooky!!!

Very well said.

Back