Do you play other Instruments than Guitar?

I think this is my first post here :)

I play piano since almost two decades. One year and a half ago, I realized that playing guitar was something that I always wanted to learn but never started, so bought my first cheap guitar and finally ended on a marvelous Dodgem Blue Silver Sky with maple fretboard. I feel like I'm at home now!

I'm a drummer with a guitar problem. I've gotten good enough at drums to play in front of any size audience (within my preferred genera of music). Guitar? Not so much.

Instruments I currently own that I don't know how to play at all (they are on my list of things to do) are mandolin, banjo and ocarina.

I do strum some ukuleles on occasion

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I also play some bass, have a try at bouzouki from time to time, like to have a go at the drums when possible (can bash out a fair rhythm - nothing fancy though), and also play a hurdy gurdy (like it says on the tin). It's not very popular with the local cats though.....:)

NS/Stick -- meh-ly
Bass 6 / baritone (I guess still technically a guitar) -- badly
Bass -- badly
Piano/Synthesizer/Electric Piano -- well
DAW -- slowly

I was a drummer until I decided to become a musician. :eek:

I keep a drum set, keys, and bass here at the house for practices with the band, so I play around on them, but not at a “go play this in a band” level. I also had a uke for a while, it was a requirement of my Hawaiian heritage. Fun, but I could only play Over The Rainbow and I’m Yours so many times.

I’d love to get a Theramin and learn to play it. Just a cool sound. I heard it when my wife was watching “Midsomer Murders” and thought it sounded cool, then liked it even more when I saw it played live. Kind of air-guitar-meets-Vincent-Price.

I played piano for a few years as a kid, and really wish I hadn't stopped - I didn't care for my teacher, and instead of finding me a new one we just stopped. Trombone in High School, couldn't play anything coherent now if you paid me. Picked up the drums when my daughter was taking lessons several years back, was getting reasonable at them, then tendinitis/arthritis set in in my right thumb and now if I drum for more than 10 minutes my hand becomes useless for a day or 2 :(.

Over the past year I've been dabbling a wee bit on a digital piano. I played bass in a band for 3 years until a little over a year ago, so I'll say yeah, I play bass decently.

I’d love to get a Theramin and learn to play it. Just a cool sound. I heard it when my wife was watching “Midsomer Murders” and thought it sounded cool, then liked it even more when I saw it played live. Kind of air-guitar-meets-Vincent-Price.
I've never had a Theremin, and don't want one. I don't think I'd ever touch it.

I've got one of those - just on the right side in this pic of my old recording set up.

OldDesk2.jpg

It's much tougher to play in tune than I thought - it can be quite sensitive. I've even plugged it through a tuner thinking that would help, but so far, I haven't been accurate enough to record with it.

I've never had a Theremin, and don't want one. I don't think I'd ever touch it.
You might come close…
I've got one of those - just on the right side in this pic of my old recording set up.

OldDesk2.jpg

It's much tougher to play in tune than I thought - it can be quite sensitive. I've even plugged it through a tuner thinking that would help, but so far, I haven't been accurate enough to record with it.
That’s what is so impressive about people that can do it well… like the ultimate fretless neck, without the neck. Really cool to me.

I have been playing various instruments since I was 6 years old, some 61 years ago. Over the years, at various times, I played guitar, bass, piano, organ, drums, flute, sax and harmonica and been a vocalist. Today, my level of proficiency is just fair with all these instruments but guitar, bass and vocals.

Back