Do you play guitar Professionally or for Pleasure

That's killer. I am a full on Cadillac man, and I wish they'd make this car, lol!!!! Your music makes me want it more, lol.

I’ve made my living in music since 1991. I play guitar on most of the tracks I record for tv ads, documentaries, etc., though I hire great session players for styles I don’t play well (that would be a lot of styles!).

Here’s something I’ve posted before that I wrote for Cadillac. It’s a good example of the stuff I write for picture. I started on piano, then brought in strings, and kind of rocked out for the running footage, then brought it back. I played guitar on this one as well.

Last edited:
I make loud rock noises with other humans. I used to play rock shows regularly on bass from the late 90s through as recently as 2014 with some breaks in there. I'm playing guitar in my current band. We've played out twice. Mostly just writing tunes for the sake of writing tunes. We're currently recording, so I'll post some stuff after we finish tracking.

Last edited:
I’ve made my living in music since 1991. I play guitar on most of the tracks I record for tv ads, documentaries, etc., though I hire great session players for styles I don’t play well (that would be a lot of styles!).

Here’s something I’ve posted before that I wrote for Cadillac. It’s a good example of the stuff I write for picture. I started on piano, then brought in strings, and kind of rocked out for the running footage, then brought it back. I played guitar on this one as well.

That was impressive.

Personally I don't feel I'm good enough to play for money so I don't play on stage. I do play with professionals though but for the enjoyment of it. Just wondered if I'm in the minority here as it seems many of you seem to be regularly gigging out.
Personally I don't feel I'm good enough to play for money so I don't play on stage. I do play with professionals though but for the enjoyment of it. Just wondered if I'm in the minority here as it seems many of you seem to be regularly gigging out.
you should be on the stage that's leaving at the back door.

Also I play guitar to aggravate my wife and kids.

I'd call my self a semi-pro. I don't make enough money at it to pay all my bills from it, but the percentage is swinging that way.

But, life is in change-mode. We are moving from Virginia to California next month. I am leaving a band I've been in for five years and that has been picking up a lot of momentum this last year... It's been a regular gigging thing. Two monthly gigs and a number of other decent paying gigs sprinkled in each month. We gig more than we practice.

I am also having to adjust a different gig I've had for about a year and a half. I gig in an acoustic duo, with an international star, a multi WC Handy award winner. We just finished a CD (release party December 9th). We will, obviously, not be able to take as many local one off gigs. but, I will be doing a lot of fly gigs... Trying to set up little tours, or 'tourlettes' as she calls them.

As soon as I get to California, finding the local scene and trying to get plugged in will be at the top of my to-do list. I'm kind of addicted to playing live and being on stage now. Never in my earlier life did I ever imagine that I would have the opportunities making music that I have now.

As my drummer used to say, “We don’t get paid for playing; we get paid for hauling all this sh*t around.”

And my acoustic partner and I were chuckling over this the other day when talking about how much money I need to make for these little tourlettes. And it came down to not getting paid to play... We both do that because we love it. So we consider it getting paid to lug our crap, drive, set up the PA, run the sound pack it all up, etc.

But, I still play because I love it.

My wife calls it “twanging”!

She went to see “A Star is Born” recently and came home telling me that I would like the film because of all the “twanging”!

Guess you get away with it if you look like Bradley Cooper!!

However, now she wants me to accompany her and her ladies singing group whilst they perform “Try” by Colbie Caillat!! So it can’t be all that bad!

I've been musing on how part time work like playing music is described differently than other work. If you only perform occasionally, you're a "semi-pro" musician. So if you also moonlight at the local grocery store for extra money, are you also a "semi-pro" stock clerk?

"I mean, I could go pro, but you know how dog-eat-dog the stock clerk game is. I just like stocking shelves for the enjoyment, you know? You should check out my awesome collection of aprons some time."

Back