Do you play guitar everyday?

An hour most nighs. 2-3 a day on weekends. The kids have grown up so I have time. I think it is not just playing but focussed playing that makes the difference. Has to be new material new ideas. Over the past couple years for instance have been working on modes,inverted thirds,, transpositions. Theses to me new ideas keep me motivated.

I really try to play everyday, honestly its funny if i go for a week without playing i actually get cranky and once i pick up a guitar and play it goes away.
Its my therapy, i really believe that.

I try to, but the fact is, I don't always get there. And I usually notice the difference when I am playing a lot, although the occasional day or two off can do some good. The last time I was taking lessons, I mentioned some frustration to my teacher and said, "Then I took a day off, and it was all much better, and I realized, if I don't touch the guitar for a month, I'll be FANTASTIC!"

I really try to play everyday, honestly its funny if i go for a week without playing i actually get cranky and once i pick up a guitar and play it goes away.
Its my therapy, i really believe that.

It is. It truly is. The longest I ever went without playing was a couple years - I was going through a bad stretch with depression and such, and touching a guitar actually gave me a bad physical feeling. My therapist said, "You know what - just pick it up for five minutes. Even if you don't play at first - just hold it. Then gradually push yourself to do more. I think it'll be good for you." And it was.

Paul has repeatedly said playing guitar is like legal oxycontin. He said you can't help but smile when you're playing - but, then again, he's never heard me play.

I've been playing nearly everyday since getting the SE One. It's always right here in arms reach of my PC. I'm constantly picking it up for a few and putting it back down. I never could leave the core sitting out like that and I didn't play as often if I had to "go get it". Geez, maybe the wife is right... I am lazy

There are weeks sometimes when i cant get to it. But i always come back to it. I have them laid out in my office and just looking at them makes me happy.

funny thing is though that i never do t have a pick in my pocket. It is as much a routine as my wallet and wathc to throw one in my pocket when getting dressed. I fidget with it thoughout the day and in my warped mind i think it helps me keep the feel of playing, at least the right hand part.

When I first started as a teenager, it was every day, hours at a time on an acoustic that really toughened my fingertips. Then off and on through the years. Now, I have bought a number of lessons and I will make the time as regular a part of each day as possible so as not to waste all the money spent on lessons, not to mention equipment. This is almost like a Resolution, 7 months late.

I just got done playing my ZM for about ten minutes here at work before I start.
Trying to nail down the intro to AC/DCs Hells Bells.
I do not get a guitar out every day at work, but it is in my locker if the mood fits and I have time before work.
It does put me in a better mood as others have stated.

For the last 3 years, since I more or less retired;

I play everyday & have a "set" routine
I start with finger picking acoustic type songs & exercises
Then I work on bossa nova / samba type songs
Then "play" some band songs (I rotate through them over a 2 week period) over tracks I have created
Arrange songs for our band and create backing tracks (this is not an everyday occurrence)
And in between, I am taking True Fire blues comping lessons (I work on this about 3 days a week)

Being in cover bands I find myself playing almost every day to stay polished. I also keep my Taylor T5z in the bedroom, on a stand, so I'll play a few minutes before going to sleep most nights.

The last few years I started playing everyday.
Noodling before work in the morning and amplified every evening for at least a half hour learning a new song or solo; coming up with my own material.
It's really improved my playing abilities; and I've been playing for 30+ years.

I try to play every day and do most days. Like most I get stale and fed up with what I'm doing but fresh input usually gets me going again. For instance, last Friday I went to my local guitar shop to have a look at a 1962 Gretsch 'USA' Chet Atkins 'Tennessee'. I didn't buy it, it was too rich for me but in the background I could hear someone playing "Smokestack lightning". I hadn't heard it for years and had never played it and I thought how good it sounded for a simple little riff. I started talking to the guy that was playing and he said "grab a stool and guitar". I grabbed the Gretsch and he showed me the basic riff and three variations and off I went, free guitar lessons have to be good. I would have downloaded the tab once I got home anyway but the little interaction saved me the time to learn it once I got home :biggrin:

I have a jam buddy now so he helps keeps me focused.

Last edited:
I make an concerned effort to pick one up everyday. When I don't, things just don't feel right.
Even if it's just for a few minutes, it's really important to make the time for playing.
You don't won't to feel those fingertips get soft!
So what are you doing reading this when you could be playin'!?! Go on now!

Generally, yes unless I'm away home for a day or really busy or have stuff going on.

I like to play at least a half hour a day.

I play guitar EVERY day without fail, unless I'm on vacation.

For years, I just played in an effort to get tones. Now I'm playing to learn and improve. 20 years of playing, and I'm finally getting around to theory!

Back