Do you play guitar everyday?

MikeD

I go on streaks with my guitar playing.

I'll go for weeks playing everyday then go for weeks without even opening the case.

There's been times that I haven't played in months or even years.

I'm interested to hear about the habits of other players.

I used to play like you describe. Then I got my first PRS. It was so much easier to play that I looked forward to playing everyday. About the same time, I went through a difficult time in my life and playing became my therapy. I still play everyday that I can. Life can get in the way sometimes. For example, I just got back from a 10 day road trip taking the family to visit Grandma. I will play tonight and start again playing everyday. :) Though not therapy anymore, it's still my release from the stresses of the day and it also challenges me to get better and try something new.

Every day I can. I pick up a guitar each morning for 10-15 minutes before leaving for work, and most nights I noodle a bit when I get home, sometimes I decide to learn or work on a song in the evening if I don't get home too late. My main practice time is on the weekends and I devote at least 2 hours a weekend day when not with the band and the entire day Saturday when with the band (plus the two+ hours on Sunday). The only time I do not play at least a little is if I am out of town on business or on a "romantic" trip with my wife. Regular vacations I take a guitar.

There's a nice open sun room off my living room with a large sliding glass door that goes outside to the beautiful backyard. I have my gear setup in that sun room. There isn't a day that goes by I don't pick up one ore more of my babies and play. For me, it's like breathing and eating; in some ways, even more important.

I encourage all players to not miss a day, even if it's just a brief time. Taking care of the soul is important.

4-7 days a week. Playing has become a "me time" experience and i don't go to long without "me time" even if it is just 15 to 30 mins

I pick up my guitar every morning before I even brush my teeth.I practice at least two hours everyday.

I try to keep a guitar lying around in the front room (much to the dismay of my fiancee) so I'll pick it up at least once a day and have a noodle about with it, even if its not really practicing it helps to keep the fingers from getting rusty. between work and other hobbies its hard for me to practice properly every day.

I don't pickup a guitar everyday but I sure need to, it would help my playing for sure. I have a hard time finding time to do that.

One thing I'm discovering is that I have a harder time remembering parts of songs. I used to be able to learn a song and commit it to memory but not so much anymore. Playing every day would help that.

I mainly play on weekends as I have more time on non work nights.
But I do leave my SE Santana out full-time now on the wall, so I try to grab it once a day if time permits and noodle on it through either my Yamaha THR X10, or the Roland Micro Cube.
With both of them running on AA batteries, it is very convenient to plug into them for a few minutes.

Will sometimes play without any amp just to noodle, but I prefer it amplified.

I play something most days - probably around 300 out of a year. Breaks are often a few days at a time, and usually around travel. Sometimes it is proper practice and sometimes it is just expression. There is probably some structured practice in about 2/3 of the days I play.

Yes...everyday unless I am out-of-town. Constantly working on material and ensuring that I am prepared for the next gig.

Considering I play steady gigs from Friday - Sunday, I have to play everyday because its in my blood....Switching up sometimes from electric to acoustic and even bass to keep my fingers limbered.....I play clean on some days and wide open distortion on others.....:rock:

Last edited:
When I started (age 21) I did because I had a lot of catching up to do, many guitarists start at a young age. From that time on I played everyday also, with the exception of vacations that I never brought guitars along and when I had a illness or injury that prevented it. The only two periods of my life when I would not touch my axe for weeks at a time is during my divorce and when my disc went bad & I developed a pinched nerve.

I try to play every day I can now because with my spine condition I don't know when I will have to hang it up for good,.................................................................................. plus I still am trying to figure out how to do weird intervallic stuff like Allan Holdsworth.:dontknow:

I'm trying to. I heard somewhere that it would help me get better. Started taking lessons to force myself into showing progress. We'll see...

10 years ago before I had kids, I was in 2 bands, with practice three times a week, working on stuff outside of practice, gigs on weekends. It was basically every day, a lot of playing, and I was the best I've ever been. Then within the course of about a year, both those bands ended and my wife was pregnant. I realized I was hardly touching my guitars. It was probably a much needed break after so long of pursuing music for so long. However, my chops dropped off in a way that really surprised me, even after we got a band going again in a new, more limited capacity.

So, I brought a guitar into my office, and bought a little Line 6 Pocket Pod to keep here, and I try to play at least 10 minutes a day, with more jamming and stuff on weekends.

everyday. I'm constantly working on new song ideas. I don't have a guitar on me during the work day or while I'm in class so a lot of times I'll talk myself ideas via voice notes into my phone and try to make sense and translate those into the songs when I'm home later on. Lately it's been a lot more frequent.

Back