Do you name your guitars?

Great thread Mr. Aahzz! As some of you may have noticed, I do name at least some of my gits and my most recent CU24 is Birtha Luna Bluvie! She was "born" (Birtha = birthed on) on this years wolf moon (Luna) on Jan 28 and the Bluvi comes from the Blue Violet Burst finish. My McCarty 594 HBII is Hoorman Gitfiddle because I love the term gitfiddle, it is about as close as a modern guitar can be to the definition of a gitfiddle and the individual who turned me on to that term gitfiddle is named Hoorman (one of the best bass players I have ever personally known). My Hwy 1 Strat, Eko Kadett (I think it named itself with brand and model), Martin D12-20 (which I have owned since 1991), my Steinberger XM2T (which I have owned since 1990), my MM Stingray, my "beach" guitar (accoustic from mfr Carlos) and my Ukulele do not have names. The only other one I have that is named is my Martin J-40, to whom I affectionately refer to as J Fo (rhyme with J-Lo but fo for forty). I have wanted to name the others, but it has just never come to me and like my music, I refuse to force it! As I write this though, I think I am going to name my Ukulele "The Kings Axe" as it is the stringed wood bits that I use for my artist "King Kawhileiwhilei". Finally, the PRS PS that I have on layaway which was also born on Jan 28 this year will be Wolfy Moonamm. More on that once he is in my hands.

My two Harley's are Road Warrior (2000 Heritage Springer - have ridden it through rain, sleet, snow, hail, mud, etc.) and Primadonna (100th Anniversary Screamin' Eagle Deuce). The 1960 Cadillac I owned for 10 years was Maxell Catillac. Other rides have not earned their names! My pet pig (who passed away 4 years ago ) was Pablo "Cruise" Pigasso!!! But I digress!

Last edited:
Not lately, but this made me laugh...

7VgAhFn.jpg

Not yet. Starts in a couple days. Go Bucks!

Sounds good. I've got a few weeks coming up away from my job I hope to spend doing some "spiritual things" as well as receiving my 2nd Covid shot, plus a dental appointment. Am hoping to do exactly what I'd planned: Drinking a pint, going on a vacation, cultivating a garden. (Am taking precautions about my left shoulder/don't want it in a sling anytime soon) Yes, you get the slingshot reference / No, the giant doesn't have extra money.

I’ve got 6 dogs, 2 horses, 4 nieces and nephews, no room in my brain to remember any more names.

I don’t have doubles of any models so just referring to em as the HB, the Santana, the CU22, etc is enough. And I think for as good an instrument as they are a name isn’t going to make them any more mythical.

Beer cheese is the new big thing. Try that instead!

I think I've actually got a recipe for that. Hold onto your hats.

Beer Cheese Dip

4.5 oz brie cheese
3.5 oz limburger cheese
4 oz cream cheese
½ onion diced
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp caraway seeds
1 tbsp minced chives
3 tbsp beer
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

In a small mixing bowl, blend the cheeses together, mashing them together with a large spoon. Blend well, to remove extra clumps. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to blend well. Add 3 tbsp beer towards the finish and stir again to blend until fully incorporated.

Chill in the fridge before serving.

If you name them, can you still sell them one day? I would think that once you name a guitar, by doing so, you just made the commitment to NEVER sell it. After naming it, it would be like selling your own child.

Well of course you’re gonna buy one if your selling one...so you just transfer the name to the new one. Problem solved.

And yes...I name all of my guitars. A few were even named before they were “born” (made).

Hotpants, huh? You just wait, bucko! I've been working late every night, but one of these nights I'll have a few minutes to drag out the old scrap book...

Back