Do you name your guitars?

I know some people do, and some think it's silly...me, I do indeed name my guitars. My Velas, for example, are Daisy (the black one) and Simmons (the blue one). My Peavey Patriot bass is Betsy. Acoustic is Angie. Also, guitars to me tend to be female - seems that way to most people that name them, with Casper being the potential exception...
If I named my guitars I would never be able to sell them off. I need to tell my wife that I've already named my guitars ....

I don’t, but some of them name themselves: Eywa, JuJu, Flo, Lil...

OK.
For everyone else:
It works like this.

1- You visit a guitar store.
2- Sometimes a guitar picks you, sometimes not.
3- If one chooses you, it comes home with you.
4- You play it.
5- You play it some more.
6- It decides whether it likes you or not.
7- If it likes you it MAYBE decides to tell you its gender and name.

(If it doesn't like you, you eventually go your separate ways.)

Some of them have names, others don't. The Mira I just call Mira, because it came with a cool name, and if renaming it I might have to get a new truss rod cover and then get questions.

But my Tele is "Rita." I picked it up one day, and the name "Rita" came to me. I don't recall meeting anyone name Rita, but I've thought Rita Moreno was awesome ever since seeing her shout, "Hey, You Guys" on Electric Company when I was around six. Seems appropriate for a Tele.

I’ve tried to name a few of them. But even though it seemed like a good name at the time, I’d forget what it was. Then I’d just feel foolish. Lucky I was never a parent, there simply ain’t enough therapy, to get a kid over that. So, no, not anymore.

I’ve tried to name a few of them. But even though it seemed like a good name at the time, I’d forget what it was. Then I’d just feel foolish. Lucky I was never a parent, there simply ain’t enough therapy, to get a kid over that. So, no, not anymore.

You'd be surprised. I know people who name their flower arrangements and garden vegetables. Only problem occurs when you say, "Sorry, Mr. Cabbage Head, we're making cole slaw tonight..." I've already been through the Mr. Potato Head stuff numerous times since my childhood. I'll live.

You'd be surprised. I know people who name their flower arrangements and garden vegetables. Only problem occurs when you say, "Sorry, Mr. Cabbage Head, we're making cole slaw tonight..." I've already been through the Mr. Potato Head stuff numerous times since my childhood. I'll live.
I hope you did the right thing... WAFFLE FRIES!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you did the right thing... WAFLLE FRIES!

If you're referring to iHop, yes, I did. I also broke out my boombox radio and let my room plants listen until they perked back up again. It's amazing what a little soil, some water & TLC can do.

This might sound a little strange, but a much wiser person once told me the secret to being happy.

"If you want to be happy for a day, drink a pint."
"If you want to be happy for a week, go on a vacation."
"If you want to be happy for a lifetime, cultivate a garden."

I don't know how or why this works, but it does, at least for me it does. Hope you can apply this practical wisdom and use it yourselves.

Last edited:
Only one has a name different than the model...she is "The China Guitar".

Jay Turser Les Paul copy, and she rocks!

I named some of my guitars after each of my six kids and the misses. Don't remember which one has which name so I have to look them up on the list I made...the kids I mean...

I’ve only had one with a name since 1967. The name started out as a joke for my NGD on this forum, but seems to have stuck. It’s just a fun thing, I’m not all that serious about it.

My McCarty Singlecut is The Hammer Of The Gods.

So Thor for short!

I hope you did the right thing... WAFLLE FRIES!

Have you two got pet names for each other now?!

If Bob is WAFFLE FRIES what does that make you?;)

I've been labelling my cases (since many of them look identical) with a piece of white gaffer's tape + black marker with some cryptic description of the guitar that lives inside. For instance: "McSoapy/Cherry," and "408/Trampas," that kind of thing. Not enough to really give-away what's in the case to the novice, but enough so that I know. I recently almost simply wrote the word "BEAST" on my new-to-me Stripped 58. Almost...

I also broke out my boombox radio and let my room plants listen until they perked back up again. It's amazing what a little soil, some water & TLC can do.

TLCgroup.jpg

I know some people do, and some think it's silly...me, I do indeed name my guitars. My Velas, for example, are Daisy (the black one) and Simmons (the blue one). My Peavey Patriot bass is Betsy. Acoustic is Angie. Also, guitars to me tend to be female - seems that way to most people that name them, with Casper being the potential exception...

If you name them, can you still sell them one day? I would think that once you name a guitar, by doing so, you just made the commitment to NEVER sell it. After naming it, it would be like selling your own child.

Back