Do you love or hate the beach?

Do you love or heach?

• Yes

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • Heck No!

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters
Way back in 1960 when I was 7, our family moved from Michigan to San Diego where we lived for 2 years and I loved the trips to the beach. Had a blast! It was a total change of scenery and attitude from what I was used to and I found it amazing.

Moved back to Michigan and my "beach outings" now are when I walk down to the lake at the end of my street. I'll go there and will just sit enjoying the view as I find it rather calming. There's a little beach area at one end and last summer my grandkids had a good old time playing and swimming there.

I went to the beach once to ride my swan, and I had a bad experience…

XC91IRL.jpg

Last edited:
Mrs AR is the same as you, she can’t stand the sun. She’s very pale and burns in the shade. My daughter is the same.

She more than likely carries the MC1R genetic mutation like me. When I was a kid, I did not care if I got sunburned. It was the price of playing in the ocean or swimming in a pool. I had sun poisoning many times. I am paying for it now. The MC1R genetic mutation does not occur naturally below the 44th parallel because it increases the probability of developing melanoma significantly. It was exported mostly from the British Isles and Ireland, at least when we are talking about the U.S. I refer to it as the Celtic Curse.

In my mid 50s now and I’ve turned into a “get of my lawn” guy. My tolerance for self serving and stupidity is at a low level. I’m all about thinking of others and being polite. Large crowds breed stupidity these days. I won’t go to large concerts any more. Give me an 800 seat theater any day.
I'm right there with ya. I don’t dig large crowds.

Wife loves Vegas.......I do not. I just go to my corner with my fruity drink.

I absolutely hate the beach. To me, the beach means salt, sand, and sunburn. I have very fair skin and sunscreen tends to turn a person into human sandpaper on the beach. I do not know many older guys who love the beach, but I know a metric truck load of older women who love the beach. Young women look good in bathing suits. I would rather not see most older (age 50+) women in a bathing suit and I am sure that they would rather not see me in one as well. :)
If you have enough fruity drinks 50 year old women don't bother you as much!

I do need to be a little more clear here. We are in our 50s and it doesn't matter if I've had fruity drinks or not my wife won't leave me alone!!!

Good problem to have!!

Last edited:
I absolutely hate the beach. To me, the beach means salt, sand, and sunburn. I have very fair skin and sunscreen tends to turn a person into human sandpaper on the beach. I do not know many older guys who love the beach, but I know a metric truck load of older women who love the beach. Young women look good in bathing suits. I would rather not see most older (age 50+) women in a bathing suit and I am sure that they would rather not see me in one as well. :)
If you have enough fruity drinks 50 year old women don't bother you as much
I love the sea, but a hot beach holiday is a rare treat. I could happily live overseas as long as there is a sea breeze
Isn't Sea Breeze the name of a fruity drink??

I’m definitely a beach guy. I don’t like crowds though.

8-E9-F77-EA-28-CB-4-A26-92-EB-7-CC664-D5-E888.jpg

AECAEC29-5623-42-CA-B57-B-9327-D630-B286.jpg

Picture is Hapuna Beach, one of my favorites. Big wide beach, can usually find a spot where people aren’t on top of you. I love swimming with a snorkel there, water is so clear it’s like your gliding in the air. Been a few years since I’ve been there.

I’m ok with NW beaches so long as I have my kayak with me. Haven’t been able to kayak in some time due to injuries and my heart issue. If I’m lucky, maybe by summer I’ll be able to go kayaking again.

She more than likely carries the MC1R genetic mutation like me. When I was a kid, I did not care if I got sunburned. It was the price of playing in the ocean or swimming in a pool. I had sun poisoning many times. I am paying for it now. The MC1R genetic mutation does not occur naturally below the 44th parallel because it increases the probability of developing melanoma significantly. It was exported mostly from the British Isles and Ireland, at least when we are talking about the U.S. I refer to it as the Celtic Curse.

The dangers of being a Scottish lady!

To further explain, I definitely suffer from moderate crowd anxiety - somewhat brought on from crap people in the past, but who knows the full cause, maybe I can blame my parents ;).

I've had it since my teens but didn't really come to grips with it until my 30's or 40's. It can be a beast to deal with.

That sucks. People are highly overrated!

Fair skin and many skin cancers keep me mostly out of the sun, but I like being near the water. My work is 50 yards from this the ocean, and the beach there is nice, except on the weekends when it gets deluged by tourists.

My beach, and yes, I like it. You’re all invited; just bring a tent (And some food and water might be a good idea).

Abacos; 15 miles from Treasure Cay.

This is THE water (Paul‘s old bone fishing spot) named for the paint on this. “Abaco green”:

Bahamian beaches are amazing. Been to both Exuma Island and Long Island and those are the beaches I could spend all day at

Ok, I’m a weirdo. Ever since I was in college and we jumped a sea wall in January in New England, I’ve been a huge fan of rocky beaches in the winter and the smell of the North Atlantic. Too pale for summer, but I love fall and winter on the water.

Do I hate the beach?

Hate is a strong word.
Hatred takes up too much brain space.
It also has to be actively nurtured and maintained.
That results in even more brain space being occupied by unhealthy activity.
My 3 active brain cells have enough to do already without hating a bunch of sand and salt water.

Do I love the beach?

No.

Back