Do you love or heach?

• Yes

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • Heck No!

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters

Em7

deus ex machina
I absolutely hate the beach. To me, the beach means salt, sand, and sunburn. I have very fair skin and sunscreen tends to turn a person into human sandpaper on the beach. I do not know many older guys who love the beach, but I know a metric truck load of older women who love the beach. Young women look good in bathing suits. I would rather not see most older (age 50+) women in a bathing suit and I am sure that they would rather not see me in one as well. :)

If I had to pick one place to spend a few hours, I’d pick a beach in Hawaii. There are some nicely secluded ones. To me, a beach doesn’t mean looking at other people. It means sitting in a nice chair with my toes in the sand, under warm sun, with the occasional jaunt out to snorkel for a bit.

Sand-covered beaches, no problem. Rocky, shell, and plastic waste-covered beaches, no thanks. Have not been to the beach in some 25 years, though, so I'd likely cover up and not try to fit into any swim trunks. I don't mind removing clothing and wearing appropriate attire.

You won't find me wearing a helmet and carrying an M1 into battle on a beach, though. You can save that for some other guy.

Previous beach trip was for a college field school study of geology.

Actually prefer a daycation more locally at a local open-mic, or visit to a music shop, home improvement or grocery store...

Last edited:
I am Countess Dracula I avoid the sun at all costs. My husband was diagnosed with Squamous cell carcinoma 5 years ago. It’s a very invasive type of cancer. It can travel to all your major organs an shut them down one by one. He has to go to hospital every 3 months for a check.

The only time the sun is welcomed is in sunsets.

I am evil, dark and mysterious! Lol on the evil

Last edited:
I absolutely hate the beach. To me, the beach means salt, sand, and sunburn. I have very fair skin and sunscreen tends to turn a person into human sandpaper on the beach. I do not know many older guys who love the beach, but I know a metric truck load of older women who love the beach. Young women look good in bathing suits. I would rather not see most older (age 50+) women in a bathing suit and I am sure that they would rather not see me in one as well. :)
As I grew up in San Diego, I love the beach. I never lived close to it, so the opportunities I took to go surfing were awesome. There’s literally nothing like paddling out in the warm water, alone, before the sun comes up past the break and watching the sun come up over the glass. Seriously… sometimes I’d just surf the wave in once and leave, after just sitting out there alone for an hour.
As I live in Canada now for the last 10 years, I’m quite fond of the mountains… especially the rainforests of Oregon… and prefer them to the beach…. But I always reminisce about the beach fondly.

I am Countess Dracula I avoid the sun at all costs. My husband was diagnosed with Squamous cell carcinoma 5 years ago. It’s a very invasive type of cancer. It can travel to all your major organs an shut them down one by one. He has to go to hospital every 3 months for a check.

The only time the sun is welcomed is in sunsets.

Mrs AR is the same as you, she can’t stand the sun. She’s very pale and burns in the shade. My daughter is the same.

I used to love the beach but then, I was boogie boarding one time in San Diego and had paddled out a bit to catch a ride back in

Now, the water off the California coast is not akin to the crystal blue water of the Caribbean - it is more blueish-brown with pretty much zero visibility

As I was waiting for a wave, a seal popped its head out of the water about 2 feet away from me - looked at me, then dove back underwater

I started paddling my way back to shore as, if I had no idea there was a seal merely 2 feet away from me, what other creatures (e.g. sharks) could be 2 feet away from me - no thank you

I have not been to the beach since - that being said, if I was on vacation somewhere with crystal blue water, I would go in, but only to a certain depth (maybe 3 feet)

I grew up in Florida and used to hate the beach, but now I think it's great if you do it right. Being a local really helps. Learn the touristy ones and when to avoid them as well as where the quieter ones are.

Also, being local means it doesn't have to be an all day affair. Sunrise to maybe 10am when the heat really picks up. Go home, grab a shower and take a nap if you want. Or my fave is to go about 5pm (give or take an hour depending on time of year) until sunset. It's not nearly as busy or hot then. Afterwards, grab some seafood at a local restaurant.

Being Florida, the sun, sand, and questionably dressed individuals are a given anywhere. :D

I love being around water. It just makes me feel at peace. Ocean, gulf, lake, river, stream… yes to all. I lived in a beach town for a decade or more, and still miss the vibe. My home of the last 20 years is on a creek/river. Whether on sure or out in it, in all seasons, I love it.

Edit:
Seeing some of the nice pics, I thought I’d add a few…

A recent picture on the Intracoastal Canal, where a dredge working late was nicely silhouetted by the setting sun:

wnQrF5c.jpg

I went for a nice walk with my wife on this jetty today, just a few hours before posting this. It’s a favorite “let‘s get out of the house” place, at the beach city I lived in for so long. Great memories of growing up there, living there as an adult, and visiting with my wife in the last few decades. While walking in a cold north wind today, we met this guy:

sfrUArU.jpg

We don‘t often see sizable amounts of snow on Gulf Coast of Texas, but we did on Christmas Eve 2004. It was a great night, and on Christmas morning I took a photo in my back yard on the creek. I decided to “canvas texture” it for a real holiday look.
0LKQFNc.jpg

I do enjoy the water’s edge, wherever it is.

Last edited:
I feel exactly as @RickP. I feel at peace being around water. Living in Greece means that I'm never to far from the beach. I love the beach in the summer but on my own terms. Not crowded, sandy - no stones or pebbles, late in the afternoon when it's not so hot. The rest of the year I'll go and relax a times and enjoy the sunset. I'm a sucker for sunsets. I also find being near the sea inspiring for writing music or lyrics. Plus working as a bartender at hotels for the past 26 years, I'm always near the sea. Here's my view from work from a few evenings ago.

Like Rick, I love being around water. We have a pool but I'm seldom in it (dumb), but other than that the closest moving water we have is when it rains like hell and the washes in our yard are full. The Rillito River is seldom a river or even a stream. The closest saltwater is Mexico.

Love listening to the ocean waves crashing and then hissing as they retreat from the sand. The next best sound is hearing nothing when you are standing on the back deck of a boat on a mirrored lake at dusk.

I could go to the beach and never leave, fresh water beach that is. Can't stand salt water beaches. I choose secluded beaches because I don't like crowds.

I've been known to go to the beach every day for a month or more. Met my wife at the beach. We're a great team because she'd be happy to live there as well. We're actually looking for beach property.

We could easily live in a tent on the beach but we're not allowed to camp on the sand. Ask me how I know. Camping on the beach is awesome though. I love waking up in the morning and being able to see the water from bed.

There's just something about playing an acoustic on the sand and gazing out to the water that I can't get enough of. Especially when I get my drink on!

If it's too hot just go into the water. Never too hot when you have a lake to splash in.

Sunburn/sun screen? I don't like chemicals and sun screen is bad for the environment but I'm first generation eastern European American so I burn like a mofo. My solution? Go the Arabian route and cover with light clothing. For me that's just a light towel sized sheet on my head that drapes over my shoulders down to my elbows or so. Works wonders, haven't used sun screen in years and have only been lightly burned a few times.

So yeah, you could say that I love the beach. :D

Last edited:
I lived most of my life near water. Most of the time rivers, but for a few years a Lake @DreamTheaterRules drives a long way to fish on. I love the sound of moving water - if you’ve never sat in the rapids of a nice river, you’ve missed a great massage.
My wife loved being on the ocean, so my retirement plan included an allocation for renting a beach house in March/November (crap weather at home). She didn’t want a second skin cancer, so we were on the beach when the sun was low and listened to it from the porch when the sun was high.
My next vacation will be to a beach.

Back