Do you like zebras?

Do you like zebras?

• Total voters

Ovibos

Naughty Wood Librarian
Zebra bobbins are a 50-year old accident, and I'm not a huge fan of the look. I keep hoping more SEs will be offered with double-black for a more 'modern' look.

What say you all?

Zebra coils first appeared in the late ‘50s—and there’s a story behind this that has nothing to do with sound or performance. One day Gibson’s supplier ran out of black pigment; Gibson didn’t care because the pickups were covered, so natural cream coils were used as well as the black ones. Some guitars had Zebra coils, and some had two cream-colored ones, but no one really noticed until people started experimented by taking the covers off. Many liked the look, so Zebra coils became a new visual feature.
- From g.com

giphy.gif

I personally don't care for the look of zebras. I've seen a couple guitars in which they looked alright, but I prefer covered or straight black pickups.

However, I would LOVE to see all white squabbins with gold pole pieces set in white/cream pickup rings, all on an all white / sparkle Custom with gold hardware. That would be magical.

It just depends on the Guitar. Some look better with them than without. I have a blue quilted that looks almost black Superstrat shredder without a pickguard and a raw maple neck. It has black HSH without pickup rings. It just looks like a blob of blackness and I'd get rid of it, only it plays so well. Zebras might be all it needs to add some balance between the neck and all black body. Especially with the black chrome hardware. I like my Zach Myers with them on. Put some Seth Lovers in it, but switched back because they weren't quite as versatile as the stock PU's. I guess I got used to the shrill higher gain bridge. But I noticed the Trampas Green ZM didn'd look great with nickel covers. Didn't matter whether it was cream rings or the black ones that came with the Seths. It just looks right with the Zebras. The Zebras look good on my bright orange/red Ibanez which originally had black. Black can look good in a lot of more neutral to dark colours though. In the end the Seth Lovers probably ended up where they belong. On the Lawsuit Les Paul.

I don't really have a preference overall. It just depends on the guitar. Would be nice to have interchangeable bobbin tops that looked better than the vinyl stickers someone released. I might try and make some and maybe some kind of pickguard for that shred guitar so it doesn't look like an ink stain :).

Last edited:
I'm not a traditionalist, but I like some zebras. Especially if they are not boring cream and black. I like purple/black and other cool combos. I put fluorescent green/black in one of my guitars. I think those have a modern look.

Some guitars look good with them, some not. I think plain black coils look boring on most guitars and terrible on some. I am starting to prefer covered pickups, especially with the wide variety of treatments and weathering available.

For non-zebra I like white and other bright colors.

Last edited:
I dig them in certain color guitars. For instance, Santana Yellow NEEDS zebra coils to me. Some of the more simple (darker) variants of standard colors, do zebra kindly. The Trampas Green and other, lighter, special mixed colors.....not so much so in my mind. I guess, it really boils down to "how traditional is the finish of the guitar?" before I can say.....

Personally, I do agree that it would be nice to see some SEs without zebra pickups.

I thought I liked zebras, then I changed them out on the SE, and covered them on the Les Paul... no more zebras in my house... only covered or squabbins. Except the sergio-blue '92 les paul stays black & uncovered to keep it 100% original.

I dig them in certain color guitars. For instance, Santana Yellow NEEDS zebra coils to me. Some of the more simple (darker) variants of standard colors, do zebra kindly.

Agreed!

Not a huge fan, but it depends on the guitar. They're in my West St, and look perfect. That is the only set I have.

I personally can't stand Zebra pickups. I've either covered them or replaced them in every guitar I have.

Back