Do you like the HFS/VB? (US Made ONLY)

How much do you like HFS/VB?

• Total voters

MichaelS

I'm here for the free kool-aid...
... US version ONLY!
... which guitar are yours in?
... if only one, which other pup did you pair it with?

2017 Custom 22 SE
HFS/VB

I have a set in a McCarty Singlecut Private Stock. I love the sound, and feel like it represents THE PRS Rock sound.

Kevin

I HATE them. It has been a long time since using them, but they were all in 2006 and older CEs. The "tone" just clashed with my amp rig. I don't remember specifics other than there were weird frequencies that I couldn't dial out. In fact, it was pretty much that pickup combo that kept me away from PRS for years.

Love em, got them in my '08 CU24; perfect for rock and metal covers band stuff.

Use my '14 CU24 when I need more tonal variations in a different band.

I have them in a 91 CU24 and I they work okay. Great for balls out gain, crap for clean. This guitar has a sweet switch and would need a tone control to make these work in a cleaner setting.
I also had a set of these in an 86 CU24 and they worked much better. Actually very impressive

I don't wanna say I HATE the HFS, but if I bought a PRS with one in the bridge it would be coming out. It came out at a time when hair metal and hard rock were king and it is really meant to hit the front end of an amp hard or drive a signal through a long chain of effects/rack gear.

It does what it is supposed to do for sure: it is hot, tight, clear and very bright. It always sounded shrill to my ears and had a hard, unpleasant way it interacted with my playing style. I disliked the Seymour Duncan Custom for many of the same reasons. For the "high output" PRS pickups, I think the Tremonti and Metal are both much better and the Dragon 1 as well.

I have one set in a 2006 CE that are just ok but the '94 I just picked up they are pretty decent. Dragons are the best ever and the only pickups I've heard that do a great clean and great high gain sound.

I HATE them. It has been a long time since using them, but they were all in 2006 and older CEs. The "tone" just clashed with my amp rig. I don't remember specifics other than there were weird frequencies that I couldn't dial out. In fact, it was pretty much that pickup combo that kept me away from PRS for years.

Same here.

I don't wanna say I HATE the HFS, but if I bought a PRS with one in the bridge it would be coming out. It came out at a time when hair metal and hard rock were king and it is really meant to hit the front end of an amp hard or drive a signal through a long chain of effects/rack gear.

It does what it is supposed to do for sure: it is hot, tight, clear and very bright. It always sounded shrill to my ears and had a hard, unpleasant way it interacted with my playing style. I disliked the Seymour Duncan Custom for many of the same reasons. For the "high output" PRS pickups, I think the Tremonti and Metal are both much better and the Dragon 1 as well.
Same here

Back