Do you gig with 9 gauge strings?

But ... What has been your own experience ?

Have you experimented to determine whether going to lighter strings " destroys" your tone ?

Or that you simply require higher string tension to play as desired ?
I can jump in and say that my tone has IMPROVED with the lighter gauge. I'm much happier with it, clean and dirty.

I've played 10's for decades ( 11 flatwounds on my jazz box) and just tried a set of 9's on my 335's for a change.
They don't lose much punch and they are effortless to play , no issue with gigging with them .

PRS shipped Maryland-made guitars with 9s as the standard option up through the move to Stevensville. Tens were a string change for PRS.

Have you experimented to determine whether going to lighter strings " destroys" your tone ?

Heavier strings = better tone argument is a lot of BS. Heavier strings = different tone IS a value argument. You lose snap and articulation with heavier strings which tends to be more noticeable on the neck pickup. I've experimented personally with this going from 8s to 10s. Lots of pros and cons to each, depending on what your personal taste is but it's what's better for you, and not whats better in general.

I would say that if you aren't recording and really trying to dial something in, no one should play heavier than a 9. It's just unnecessary stress on muscles and joints.

Back