Do you ever...?

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
Want a guitar so badly but not tell anyone about it because you fear it will sell? Even though the possibility of getting it is next to nothing? Truth is, I’ve been kind of obsessed with a particular guitar(of course I haven’t played it!) and I want to post something but I don’t because I’m afraid someone might snatch it up. Frankly, I can’t see any way of obtaining it, so I don’t know why I bother not posting something about it. It drives me a little nuts.

Happened with my S2 SC in my avatar. Was researching either SCs or Core Miras, and this one popped up on Reverb. The seller was asking a ridiculously low price compared to other sellers, about $300 less. Asked the seller about the condition, said was mint. Had bought it used, he said, and was just trying to recoup some of his cash bcuz he'd already jonesed for a S2 Studio and put 57/08s in it.

Had mentioned to some local friends of my intentions, but never directly spoke about the S2 SC until my Suhr Strat had sold and funds became available. Perhaps my good fortune regards the S2 SC not being snatched up before my purchase was mere coincidence, though if one blabs about their plans that involves money and how they found this great deal on such-and-such a website that no one else has purchased yet...you can guess what happens to their intended plans...

Want a guitar so badly but not tell anyone about it because you fear it will sell? Even though the possibility of getting it is next to nothing? Truth is, I’ve been kind of obsessed with a particular guitar(of course I haven’t played it!) and I want to post something but I don’t because I’m afraid someone might snatch it up. Frankly, I can’t see any way of obtaining it, so I don’t know why I bother not posting something about it. It drives me a little nuts.

I know exactly what you mean. One advantage of having friends like me, who aren’t loaded, is that if you tell me, I PROMISE I won’t buy it. That’s the only real advantage I can think of to have friends like me, but you have to admit, it would be easier to sleep at night if there were more like me. :D

If it was anything but a PS, and I wanted it that badly, I'd try to figure out a way to make it happen. Heck, if it was a PS I might even think about using 3 or 4 guitars in the deal. Tough call, though.

Had it happen at least twice, where I started bragging about getting a certain all Korina Singlecut SE's only to have it slip away when I finally had the money together. The last two guitars I just watched, then pounced like a puma at just the right time.

I often want certain guitars really badly but I also try not to want it too much - especially if my budget won't allow and saving could take months until I can actually afford it. I tend to use the guitars Price as a 'ball park' guide to use to tell me how much money I need to realistically start looking for what I want. Therefore I don't get too attached to an instrument.

If I am 'close' to affording it, then I certainly wouldn't make it known that I have my eye on a specific instrument. If it does get sold before I can make a purchase, I tend to take a philosophical view - that it just wasn't meant to be, wasn't the guitar I was meant to own. The reverse is true too, that if its still available when I have accumulated enough, then it was meant to be, I was meant to buy.

I don't have money, I have a 'gear' fund instead. Sometimes I have to dip into that fund for things like bills, groceries etc as well as any unplanned expenses (like repair/replace broken things, update old for newer tech etc for example) so it can take months between adding any 'substantial' purchases - and a core PRS is a Substantial financial purchase.

Anyone that knows me and knows what Guitars I like would have a fairly easy job of determining which guitars I could have my eye on - even if I am in 'save' mode. Its unlikely to be a Guitar in any colour and not very likely to be a guitar I already have. Living in the UK too limits the range of guitars, especially the range of retailers I could use. Therefore anyone could work out which Guitar(s) I may be considering and/or saving towards...

Funny thing is, I usually don't care too much. I'll leave it to fate whether I can acquire something. If someone buys it, so be it. For some reason I keep coming back to view this one over and over.

I’m not willing to let any guitars go to get it. My small stable, they all have their purposes. Budget wise, it’s not in the cards unless I come upon unexpected cash. I don’t need it for anything, it’s purely lust.

The decision to let current guitars go in pursuit of another is the ultimate litmus test. I’ve done it multiple times with mixed results. The last one was my PS TOL for my custom build. The TOL was too heavy for my bad back, so I’d do that swap again, but it doesn’t stop me from thinking about selling off more guitars to do another build with my preferred specs with that inlay!

Back