Do you alternate tune?

I play in Drop-D, Open-G and DADGAD a lot. My bands tune down a half step for the singers so add that to the mix (I don't really count that as alternate tuning though).

Out of my PRSs (which are the ones I use the most often)
S2 singlecut semi-hollow - Standard Tuning
Trampas Green ZM SE - Drop C#
Sunburst ZM SE - Drop D
Royal Blue ZM SE - Drop C
Silver Sparkle ZM SE - Drop B

Then, out of the others,
Fender Aerodyne Strat - Standard
Fender JagStang - Drop C#
Fender 60th Ann. Strat - 1/2 Step Down
Ibanez GAX - 1 Step Down

The two starter guitars and my schecter aren't exactly set up for anything.

My take.

Alternate tunings sound GREAT.
However it's a bit like a monkey learning how to do something? What do I mean? In normal tuning I know my scales over the fretboard. Detune a few strings and its like learning over again, but I bet those that open tune (and I may be wrong) don't learn all those scales again - they must just rote learn tunes for given key.

I find it a bit. Even just drop D on a Cu24 with trem - takes too long to tune to drop D then back again. Does sound good but what a pain.

The tunings I play in mainly just depend on my mood at the time and what I want to play. Usually, my 24 SE is in Drop-D (whole step down) and my Tremonti SE is in Open D5 (DADADD) but is set 1/2 step down.

Out here, you just kind of drift into open tunings due to slack key guitar. I keep an acoustic in Open G, which in reality is open F as I tune my acoustics a full step down to D at all times and capo if I play with someone. I Don't play slack key, I know the riffs and positions, but I lack the feel of it, just like they lack the feel of Texas guitar. What I have done is explore both the slide side, and more important to me the breathtaking Chords that can be made in open G that will sound in no other tuning. I use a variety of others here, Keola's C, Gabby's C, etc. named after the slack key artist that found the tunings.

Do they have string sets oriented towards open tunings, or does one have to put together their own set from individual strings, and is there a way to figure out the optimal string gauges for a particular tuning?

I'm not even going to ask about intonating, I'll have a professional do that.

I never use open tunings. I keep guitars in Eb and D. I'll also use drop tunings when needed.

I SUCK at slide guitar.

I am with you on slide guitar, especially since my heroes of the slide guitar are people like Duane Allman and Derek Trucks who use open turnings extensively (and I do not)
I keep one guitar tuned to Eb because I sit in with a band from time to time that plays all songs in Eb tuning. I have occasionally used open G and D tunings, but I have found that unless you want to spend 5 minutes tuning your guitar before and after the song that requires alternate tunings, it is a big pain the a***, especially at a gig. If I had or could afford a "guitar tech" things might be different (and was willing to bring a number of different guitars to each gig, rehearsal etc)

The only tunes we play that require alternate tunings are some country stuff, a Neil Young song and a Theory of a Deadman tune...all of which are drop D. Takes less than three seconds to do that by ear. We do a few Stones tunes on occasion, which require open G. I can do that by ear pretty quickly between songs but it's hardly worth the time for those, and I've managed to do a credible job with interesting fingering.

Regarding tuning down a half-step, we used to do that exclusively. It never really bothered me, but we swapped out our late 40s singer with a mid 20s singer so we don't have to do that any more. I was surprised at the fact that things really do sound better in standard tuning. The only down side is that I was a better guitarist than our previous singer, so I did most of the leads. New guy is better than me, so not so much anymore :)

I use drop D and drop C# all the time. Probably more than standard tuning. The only time I really use standard tuning is for songs at my church.

What kind of songs / music are you playing using the tuning you mention above?
I would describe it as hard rock (bordering on metal) with southern rock, blues, and jazz influences. It'd be kind of hard to explain, but it's similar to a band called He Is Legend.

Back