Do the SE basses come with gig bags?

Sage

While you were partying I studied the guitar.
I'm considering pulling the trigger on an SE Kestrel. Nobody in my area has them in stock locally, which is insane to me. So I'm looking at ordering from Guitar Center. But I've seen discussion in the past about how Guitar Center doesn't include the gig bags that come with PRS SE guitars. Do the SE basses even come with gig bags? If so, do I need to order from another dealer to get one?

I bought an SECU24 from Guitar Center, and negotiated the gigbag b/c I showed them competitor's sites online that included it.
They had to special order it, and it was slow and a pain to actually get (had to go back to the store to pick it up).

But when buying music equipment, most things have some negotiation room.

Yes, the PRS basses come with gig bags...just as nice as the SE guitars except with a longer neck.

I'd like to hear your impressions when you get it, and why you chose it over the Kingfisher.
cheers

And the bags are brown.
My Kingfisher bag is very nice, although I store my Kingfisher in a Gary Grainger hardcase from PRS.

I bought an SECU24 from Guitar Center, and negotiated the gigbag b/c I showed them competitor's sites online that included it.
They had to special order it, and it was slow and a pain to actually get (had to go back to the store to pick it up).

But when buying music equipment, most things have some negotiation room.

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can't do the same. If I do buy from GC it'll be because I'd be getting a good deal during their 4th of July sale, so they might not go for it. But we'll see.

I'd like to hear your impressions when you get it, and why you chose it over the Kingfisher.
cheers

I can tell you why right now. I've been waiting for these things to show up in stores for a year and they're just not. Nobody is stocking them near me, which is super disappointing because I really wanted to try out both models and see if I preferred one over the other. Even now, there aren't a lot of youtube videos of either model. I have to wonder if they're selling. I'm still concerned about the neck being wider than the Jazz necks I'm used to, which is why I'm looking to order from someplace with a good return policy.

At the end of the day I'm a classic hard rock player, and most of the classic bass tones I like come from Rickenbackers or Fender Jazz basses. Not many people know this, but the Jazz bass was actually created specifically to compete with the Rickenbacker 4001. The Kestrel, with its neck-through construction and single-coil pickups, really seems like a combination of those two basses.

I like an agressive midrange and top end to my bass tone and from what I've been able to hear from the demos, the Kestrel will probably deliver on that better than the Kingfisher.

The other reason is ergonomic. The Kingfisher's neck is longer on account of the two extra frets, and the bridge is moved up. This is an effect I love on my Custom 24, but I suspect the Kestrel will be easier to play. Again, I'd have preferred to try both models out in person, but it doesn't look like that's happening any time soon.

Last edited:
I can tell you why right now. I've been waiting for these things to show up in stores for a year and they're just not. Nobody is stocking them near me, which is super disappointing because I really wanted to try out both models and see if I preferred one over the other. Even now, there aren't a lot of youtube videos of either model. I have to wonder if they're selling. I'm still concerned about the neck being wider than the Jazz necks I'm used to, which is why I'm looking to order from someplace with a good return policy.

At the end of the day I'm a classic hard rock player, and most of the classic bass tones I like come from Rickenbackers or Fender Jazz basses. Not many people know this, but the Jazz bass was actually created specifically to compete with the Rickenbacker 4001. The Kestrel, with its neck-through construction and single-coil pickups, really seems like a combination of those two basses.

I like an agressive midrange and top end to my bass tone and from what I've been able to hear from the demos, the Kestrel will probably deliver on that better than the Kingfisher.

The other reason is ergonomic. The Kingfisher's neck is longer on account of the two extra frets, and the bridge is moved up. This is an effect I love on my Custom 24, but I suspect the Kestrel will be easier to play. Again, I'd have preferred to try both models out in person, but it doesn't look like that's happening any time soon.

I've seen one in total, a black on black Kestrel which may end up my pick, probably natural if I end up with a Kingfisher.
I'm attracted by the neck through, that it's a PRS SE and the birds lol.

I tried the Kestrel unplugged and I wasn't completely sold with the feel, a bit buzzy on some frets for example. But I'm assuming the store had not done a very good set up on it. So, I'm no closer to an opinion. They seem to be very thin on the ground, at least in Australia, but I understand that there are a lot less bassists around than guitarists. :)
the neck felt fine to me btw, but I seem to like P bass necks and baseball bat style necks. However my test was very brief as I was with friends that were in a hurray to be on their way :(

I've played the the clips and keep changing my mind which I prefer. But I'm interested that you are equating the Kestrel to the Jazz. I've not played a J Bass or a Ric, though Mr McCartney seemed to do ok with them.

good luck with it.

My son, Drew, asked for help when picking out his first bass a couple of months back. He's a pianist/guitarist first and wanted a flexible bass guitar for a wide range of recording requirements and be comfortable to learn the instrument. Honestly, it was a crap-shoot since there are so many options in the $500-$1k price range, but that's ultimately why I recommended the PRS over a Geddy Lee Jazz bass...PRS alway over-delivers! We settled on a Jazz bass design for the overall flexibility and the tonal "pocket" he sought, so between the 2 SE models, the Kestrel was it. It was a superb choice!

He found a returned Kestrel (what??!! Who would do that? ;)) at Musician's Friend and scored a fantastic deal on a black one. It is stunning...the Hipshot hardware is first class, the fit/finish is what we expect out of the SE line (perfection), the electronics blew us away, and the playability is off the charts. The neck-thru design makes it the best J-bass model I've ever played, especially at this price-point. Intonation is dead-on, fret work excellent, nut cut properly, and action is low, but not too much so. Played thru my old Bassman 100, it sang! Drew couldn't put it down.

Is it a Grainger? No. Is it a Custom Shop competitor? Not really, but damn close. The neck heel is so fluid and comfortable, I'd never go back to a bolt-on. And for the money, wow! If the electronics on the Kingfisher are more your taste, I'm sure it's just as good. Point being, PRS really did their homework before putting these models out and they gave us a couple of gems.

Went in today to negotiate on the gig bag with a sales guy... turns out the bag is cited in the "Specs" tab of the website listing, so they should all come with gig bags, even from GC.

Neither GC nor Musician Friend are including the gig bag that comes with the SE line. I have done a lot of business with MF. Sweetwater may get more of my purchases from now on. Even the sales MF had are down (not as good as before). I seem to find SE deals more often with Sam Ash or elsewhere.

We'll see. I just bit the bullet and ordered the black Kestrel. GC sent me a coupon for 15% off, and I had a gift card to burn on top of that. The listing does say it includes a gig bag. I had it shipped to the store so I can argue with them about it if the gig bag doesn't show.

We'll see. I just bit the bullet and ordered the black Kestrel. GC sent me a coupon for 15% off, and I had a gift card to burn on top of that. The listing does say it includes a gig bag. I had it shipped to the store so I can argue with them about it if the gig bag doesn't show.

Congrats, I can't wait for the NBD.

Back