Do silver inlays tarnish?

jchix

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to order a private stock and currently have inlays with silver outlines on the quote. I was wondering if anyone has experienced tarnishing on silver inlays like one would find on silver jewelry.

Thanks!

Well, I wasn't thinking of silver polish. I was thinking that a normal freatboard cleaner would clean this up nicely.

I definitely do not want Silver polish on my PS fretboard. Even if it cleans up with regular fretboard polish, I would be worried that I have to do it frequently given how quickly all of the silver crap I got for my wedding turns brown.

I think the safe bet is to do as JMintzer suggested and get white gold. I was already considering that so you guys just pushed me over the edge.

Thanks!

Well, I wasn't thinking of silver polish. I was thinking that a normal freatboard cleaner would clean this up nicely.

I was actually told by a builder who used sterling silver for the inlays on a guitar I bought used (and does a lot of inlay work in general) that were REALLY tarnished when I received it that some 0000 steel wool and elbow grease would clean them right up. I masked the frets and it did exactly what he said it would. Afterwards I cleaned and conditioned the board and it looked brand new again.

So yes, they will likely tarnish with time (and more quickly if you sweat a lot) and play, but you can clean them up and as long as you're careful about it, it would cause no harm to the guitar. Personally, having had to spend the time and energy cleaning up a ton of grime off the inlays (it had purfling and fret markers in sterling silver), I'd opt for something else unless I REALLY had to have silver inlays for some reason. ;)

Thanks for the insights Matt! I'm convinced... I'm switching to white gold.

I am always prepared so as to place an order for a private stock that has silver outlines and inlays, as well. I wanted to know if anyone holds experience.

Back