Do rosewood necks need to be oiled/maintained in any different way vs. Maple/Mahogany necks?

Mine hasn’t needed anything. I’m hesitant to use oil or anything that might ruin that cool dry velvety feel.

Don’t leave it out in the rain :)
FWIW, It doesn't ruin the feel. What it does is properly condition and replenish oils in the wood, and the wood literally "drinks it in" and won't absorb what it doesn't need. This stuff was originally made for woodwind instruments such as bassoon, oboe, etc...to keep the wooden instruments from cracking. YOu put it on, let it sit overnight and wipe off any excess that isn't absorbed by the wood. Done. And no residue. It works wonderfully on rosewood, pau ferro (and I imagine cocobolo as well) and others without finish on them. As a little side note of its effectiveness:

There is a store where I used to live years ago in another city where they had just made a deal with G***** guitars and was proudly carrying them....this was just a month before a certain individual became their CEO (and is no longer there); anyway, due to the new burden on Mom & Pop stores, they had a fire sale and blew out every instrument by that company they could and walk away. I happened to be there at just the right time and went home with a wonderful TV yellow "Special" variant that played and sounded great but had the ugliest fretboard I'd ever seen....very dry and had this yellow/green streak running through it. So I took it home, removed the strings, and dabbed some FretDr on the wood and let it sit overnight. Next day, the pores & grain had tightened up and that ugly streak was GONE.Turned out to be a nice slice of wood. And it's WONDERFUL on Brazilian Rosewood, IMO.

I use f one oil on my Brazilian rosewood necks/fretboards... I’ve got 4 PRS Guitars with these specs and I got a little overexcited about the 1st one and over-oiled when I first received it. I will never do that again. Nowadays, I oil them lightly once a year. They never seem to get that dry look or feel.

As far as the rosewood neck thing...It would only make sense that they very sparingly need some kind of treatment. (They seem to be "open/exposed" wood.)
I only say this because rosewood fingerboards certainly do (Different climates dictate how much or how little). Again, very sparingly, but they do.
My question to Shawn or someone more knowledgeable than me would be...
What does the factory do to the rosewood necks (seal/treat/etc...) before they are shipped out???

As far as the rosewood neck thing...It would only make sense that they very sparingly need some kind of treatment. (They seem to be "open/exposed" wood.)
I only say this because rosewood fingerboards certainly do (Different climates dictate how much or how little). Again, very sparingly, but they do.
My question to Shawn or someone more knowledgeable than me would be...
What does the factory do to the rosewood necks (seal/treat/etc...) before they are shipped out???

I believe it’s a mixture of unicorn hoof and pixie tears, but don’t quote me!;)

ok, sad experience here. My 2001 Custom 22 is my least played guitar, not because I don't like it but because it's amazing looking and still looks mint! Can't say that for the rest of mine. Anyway, because it rarely gets played and sits in the case most of it's 19 year life the fretboard did dry out and now the frets stick out and are sharp. My advice, play the crap out of all your guitars and condition the necks.:(

ok, sad experience here. My 2001 Custom 22 is my least played guitar, not because I don't like it but because it's amazing looking and still looks mint! Can't say that for the rest of mine. Anyway, because it rarely gets played and sits in the case most of it's 19 year life the fretboard did dry out and now the frets stick out and are sharp. My advice, play the crap out of all your guitars and condition the necks.:(
^^^THIS^^^
Guitars are made to be played. Sorry for the problem 88

Is it fret sprout, where the ends are sticking out? Have you worked on the humidity on the guitar? Try getting back into the happy zone (40-50%) and see if the neck settles back in.

Bummer.

While I don't oil my rosewood necks (I play them), oiling them won't do them any harm. Apply a small amount, give it a bit of time for the wood to take in whatever it wants, wipe off any excess.

Is it fret sprout, where the ends are sticking out? Have you worked on the humidity on the guitar? Try getting back into the happy zone (40-50%) and see if the neck settles back in.

Yes the ends are sticking out. I oiled it heavily a few weeks ago and ran the humidifier but it's still sharp. Maybe when the Tech center opens again I'll see how much it is to add binding.

Back