Do PRS factory setups feel stiff to you?

who...me?

I'm relatively new to PRS, but not to guitars or setups. Within the last 3 years I've acquired a Custom 24, Silver Sky, and last week a McCarty 594. Out of the box the Custom 24 was easy play and bends were effortless. I attribute this to the floating tremolo. However, while the Silver Sky and the 594 tonally sound great, they both required some adjustments to make bends easier. For example, to allow the stoptail on the 594 to remain decked, I had to lower the action and add some neck relief. Perhaps I've reached an age where I need to move to 9.5s or 9s instead of 10s. I was just curious what others have experienced?

I fell in love with PRS guitars 23 years ago the first time I touched one because it was the smoothest playing and feeling guitar I'd ever picked up. And, because the other 5 they had were all exactly the same way. I have not played a Silver Sky and I would expect the feel to be a bit different due to radius, but I've played many other PRS guitars over the years and never played one that I'd call stiff. In fact, always the opposite. That's the single biggest reason I love them. So NOT stiff!

That said, I have some pretty annoying arthritis in my ring finger of my left hand, and while I still have 10's on 2 of my PRS guitars (one trem, one fixed bridge) I can definitely tell. I mean, I could always tell immediately, but it bothers me more now. In the same way that for years I tolerated strats but now I can't stand the tension on the higher strings with a 6 on one side headstock. The PRS guitars play so great though, that I found 9's were often too slinky for me. Yeah, incredibly easy to play but I was overshooting every bend. The 9.5s are where I live now days and I love them on every PRS I've tried them with.

Because of the longer scale ( and the decked trem IMHO ) the Silver Sky will feel a bit stiffer than a 25" scale guitar ( IMHO ) I run 9.5 - 44s on mine asa result and float the trem.
The 594 should feel looser but it does have a bigger neck.

Moving on to the Department Of We're All Different, I like a guitar that feels just a little stiff. It seems to work better for the things I play.

"You realize I'm not going there with the stiffness jokes, right?"

"Right. That's probably a good thing. This is a family site, after all. But I am speaking of guitars here."

"You no longer appreciate the other kinds of stiffness?"

"I thought you weren't going there."

"Never count on me when it comes to propriety."

Back